[ 28 Nov 20 ] GILLS v Exeter Match Thread (FAC2)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Ryan Jackson (3)
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Christian Maghoma (1)
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Alex MacDonald (2)
No votes
Kyle Dempsey
No votes
Jordan Graham
No votes
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
(1) Declan Drysdale
100%
(2) Scott Robertson
No votes
(3) John Akinde
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 28 Nov 20 ] GILLS v Exeter Match Thread (FAC2)

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:27 pm

- The Gills have made the 2nd round for the 4th successive season after failing to make the round in any of the 4 seasons before them. They have progressed to Round 3 in both of the last 2 seasons.
- The Gills have met Exeter once in the FA cup, a 4-0 away win in 1935/6 when in the same division. The last time the Gills faced a League 2 side, a home draw against Carlisle resulted in an away defeat two seasons ago.
- The Gills have won 25 and lost 28 (19 draws) of their 72 2nd round FA Cup matches. They have won 15 and lost 7 of the 35 played at home.
- The match against Exeter will be the 5th match played at home in the 2nd round of the FA Cup against lower football league opposition. They are unbeaten in those games, winning 2 and drawing 2.
- The Gills have met Exeter in competitive matches 102 times, winning 34 and losing 38. Exeter are unbeaten in the last 3 meetings.
- The last time the sides met at Priestfield was in November 2012 when the visitors ran out 3-2 winners. The Gills last beat Exeter in September 2009.

13.01 Kick Off [ 4 - 3 - 3 ]

On the edge of the 6-yard box, Oliver's flick cannons off his face and bounces to Samuel right next to him who rushes his volley high over the bar when certain to score.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Exeter City: Oliver

GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Exeter City: Law

GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Exeter City: Randall

Williams blazes the ball over the bar from 6 yards out, a glorious chance wasted to go 3-1 up just 16 minutes after going 1-0 down.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-3 Exeter City: Randall

13.52 Half time 1-3 (51:09)

The second half kicks off.

Randall lines up a powerful shot from the edge of the box which is blocked by Tucker to deny him his hat-trick.

GOAL! Gillingham 2-3 Exeter City: Samuel

Exeter hit the post after the ball was parried away by Bonham.

Bonham up for a corner receives the ball and volleys over the bar with the last kick of the game from 6 yards out.

15.00 FULL TIME 2-3 (111:25)

Attendance: 0 (0)
Referee: Alan Young
Match Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOEX7YXma-U
Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55072335
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 28 Nov 20 ] GILLS v Exeter Match Thread (FAC2)

Postby Rimshot » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:04 pm

Just waiting to hear how this defeat enables us;
- to concentrate on our push for promotion
- to learn from the experience
- to finally confirm yet another season of mediocrity.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:18 am

Push for promotion is the thing I am most keen to see, when you play an FA Cup Match against a mighty team like Exeter City, and in 90 minutes you manage to have TWO big ole shots on Target,it's hard to see how the Gills could possibly have lost ? Is Evans contract up at the end of this year,if it it I would ditch his ass in a heartbeat, he doesn't seem to understand that the 27 midfield players he has bought in over the last two years, can't score goals, and looking at the fact that Exeter scored 3 seems the midfield is not very good at working with the defence either.
A win rate of 35% for Evans , after Scally let him bring in just about anyone he wanted makes me think a call to the Cowley Brothers is worth the 4 pence in the phone box The Gills are scoring a goal a game , 13 from 13 games, teams like Hull 24/13, P'boro 23/14, Ptsmth 23/14,Flt'wood 25/14, maybe that's why there at the top end of the table and were lollygagging around looking at another wonderful 15th or 16th place finish. Goal scorers, goal scorers, goal scorers, and a call to Danny Cowley is what we need.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:54 pm

I said I hoped we could be solid at the back,but we wasn’t.We took the lead through Oliver,and Samuel should have made it 2-0.A crazy 11 minutes in the first half has cost us.They score goals for fun,so if you give them chances they will punish you,and they did.We we’re more solid in the second half,but also Exeter defended more.Samuel gave us a lifeline,but it ended up not being enough.Bonham did have a chance in the last seconds after he came up for a corner,but it was just wide.

A shame we had that crazy spell in the first half,as we could have potentially lost out on a big TV Game.Lets hope for a response away to Bristol Rovers on Wednesday night.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 am

Would have been Sheffield Wednesday at home for the Gills,that could have been a win against a team we might well be playing next season, ( I hasten to add with them coming down, not us going up ) they are clueless when it comes to scoring.
Some really good draws for the lower level clubs, and you have to love Marine playing Spurs at home. I guess without a crowd they might as well play them on there home ground, Bumpy Grass Park or whatever it is called. Those people that live in the houses along the side of the ground are set to make a fortune if there smart. If I lived there I would rent out the back rooms of my house to Spurs supports for the afternoon........... A package deal, ride to and from the railway or bus terminal before and after the game, all the Scouse they could eat from half hour before kick off until the start of the second half , six pack of Black Lodge Beer each, hell if I lived there I would charge several hundred quid per person , you could squeeze at least half a dozen of them there rich Londoners into our Suzzie's box room if I took her bed and dressing table out.
I bet if I promised Ethel me misses with our windfall we could go to Benidorm for a week, she would happily let another half dozen spend the game in our back bedroom, they can at least see half the pitch from there, and for like only a 100 quid a head, and you never know old girl might have been able to earn a bit on the side once the game got to 10-0 by the end of the first half if she used her head , you know give them shrimp sarnies and well whatever else they want.
I wonder how many people I could get on a big wooden table thing in the garden, hell the houses along Cavendish Road in Crosby don't cost more than 90,000 quid, I could pay off most of my mortgage , by 4,45pm on that weekend in January lol.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions