Retained, released and new signings thread

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Re: Retained, released and new signings thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:32 pm

The Gills have signed midfielder Jacob Mellis who was released by Bolton after joining for what should have been the second half of the season. He joined Wanderers after leaving Mansfield despite only being 6 months into a new contract.

Gills also sign a very promising young Arsenal centre-back on a season-long loan and fought off competition from very big clubs. I make it the player situation now looks like this.

Annotation 2020-08-10 182444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Jordan Graham signs a permanent deal at the club. This is fantastic news and I always thought we might be in with a decent shout after he left Wolves a couple of months ago. I did feel however that our inability to commit for a length of time would have other clubs beating us to his services. His signing has impressed many in football world so, with him, Willock and Medley, we have players who are technically very good. We can now field a starting 11 too and the side is starting to come together.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:03 pm

Who have we got from Arsenal or did I hear that wrong , someone on a year longs loan, I am a great believer in on loan players from Higher Divisions ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:49 am

Yep Trae Coyle signs from Arsenal to join his team mate Medley. According to the club website, he is an England youth international who signed his first pro deal with Arsenal last season. He can play on the flanks, behind the forwards or as a striker. He apparently turned down deals at bigger English clubs as as well as offers from Germany and Holland. Very exciting three players signed this week!

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:06 am

Midfielder Alex MacDonald joins the Gills. He played under Evans at Mansfield where played 123 games in over 3 years and scored 7 goals in 14 Scotland Under-21 games. Intriguing language used for him in this article "Macca is a top class player in League 1 when he is focused" and "The Gaffer found a way to get the best out of me while at Mansfield" which suggests he has not lived up to his ability of late.

The Gills now have a bit of experience in the squad with him and Mellis although I suspect both will need to prove themselves thoroughly if they are to succeed in the squad. I guess all the quality players need to be offset by a few cheaper punts and Evans won't stand for any nonsense.

Quality side building now: Tucker and Ogilvie are capable of playing Championship level. Roberts looked fantastic in the brief time we had him. Willock is capable of being an excellent player if he gets a run without injury and now we have Medley and Coyle as well. Oh, and I really rated Jackson first time around as was fuming when he was released. Exciting times. This is how I make the squad now.

Annotation 2020-08-15 100551.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am

It's amazing to think that Akinfenwa scored more goals at age 94 ,and weighing 39 stone 3 lbs 10 ounces , than anyone at the Gills did last season. GO AND GET A 15 GOALS A SEASON MAN, and I will be the happiest camper on the trailer park. Who that guy is or,where do you get him from, I DON"'T KNOW, and I don't care but throw a bucket load of cash at some team and bring him in. Call Crawley they have a couple of decent guys, Palmer and Lubala both scoring 12,13 goals a season, go get one of them.
I think we appear to be putting together a nice team, now we just need to get out of the habit of thinking a draw is a nice solid result, GO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:57 am

Gills continue their run of impressive signings by convincing Fleetwood's midfielder Kyle Dempsey to reject other League 1 offers and sign for the club.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:59 am

Here we go again ,loading the midfield with guys that can'rt score , oh dear, do I smell another boat load of 0-0,1-1 draws coming up again this season ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Next in at the Gills is Robbie MacKenzie, a defender from Hull City who will face his old team mates (including Tom Eaves) on the opening day of the season!

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 pm

Side starting to take shape. Still need some full-back cover though.

Annotation 2020-08-21 204523.jpg

Garawa

PreviousNext

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION