[ 19 Oct 19 ] GILLS vs Peterborough Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:46 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Tom O'Connor
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Alfie Jones
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe [3]
No votes
Olly Lee [2]
No votes
Mikael Ndjoli [1]
No votes
Brandon Hanlan
100%
[1] Alex Jakubiak
No votes
[2] Mikael Mandron
No votes
[3] Mark Marshall
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 19 Oct 19 ] GILLS vs Peterborough Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:15 pm

- The Gills last beat Peterborough at home in January 2016. Since then, the sides have met 6 times - the Gills have won once and Posh have won 3 times including both games last season.
- Peterborough lead the wins 16-14 and there have been 20 draws. They are unbeaten in 3 visits to Priestfield, winning 2 of them, but lost both trips before those 2-1.
- Peterborough are unbeaten in 3 league matches scoring 8 goals and conceding 5. Away from home however they are winless in 3, scoring 5 goals and conceding 7.
- Peterborough have managed 73 shots on target (an average of just over 6 per league game), the most in the division. With 35 more on target than off (also the highest in the division), they have the highest shooting accuracy with 42.7% on target.
- Peterborough's 28 league goals is the most in the top 4 divisions and is 11 more than the total scored by the Gills. They have conceded 15 goals, 1 more than the Gills.
- Peterborough's 16 second half league goals are the most in the division, already equal to or better than 12 other League 1 side's total scored. The Gills have only conceded 3 second half goals.

15.00 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

Ndjoli has an excellent chance to score (blocked) after great work by Hanlan.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Peterborough: Ward
Peterborough are unbeaten when scoring first, winning 6 of the 8 occasions in the league. Their 2 draws have come in their 4 away games. This is only the second time the Gills have conceded first at home, the other occasion ended in defeat.

15.46 Half time 0-1
Peterborough have previously led at half time in 5 of their league games and have won 4 and drawn 1. The Gills have been behind in 5 at the break, drawing 1 and losing 4.

The second half kicks off

Penalty. Mark Byrne concedes a penalty for a handball.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Peterborough: Eisa (pen)

GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Peterborough: Mandron

Connor Ogilvie meets the corner with a firm header that goes wide. On target and its a goal.

Mandron sends a strong cross in that either misses everybody or glances off the face of the crossbar.

16.52 FULL TIME 1-2

Attendance: 6,269 (552)
Position: 16th
Referee: Charles Breakspear
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3YDX-nrvrE
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50024221
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 19 Oct 19 ] GILLS vs Peterborough Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:49 pm

Seems from the BBC report we were unlucky not to have shared the points, maybe we should sell a midfielder or two or three and find a goal scorer?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:11 pm

I thought it was a good game. In the first half, both sides should have scored in the first minute, the Gills with the better opportunity after a counter-attack from a Posh shot. Our midfield hassled better, got to the loose ball first and generally ran the show. Hanlan was fantastic up front, causing all sorts of problems. That said, we didn't really create any opportunities that tested the keeper. Then they scored an absolute peach of a goal that would have been scored against any side. Unstoppable.

Second half they had fixed the midfield problems and were much more in control, getting the second from an iffy penalty. That said, the last 15 minutes were all Gills and we deservedly got one back. There is still confusion if Jakubiak hit a cross off the face of the crossbar or not with seconds left as it looked like we did from where I sat but half the responses have come back saying we did and didn't. Even if he didn't, Ogilvie had a firm header go wide with 3 minutes left when, had it been on target from only 7 years out, it would have been a certain goal. A draw would have been fair in my book.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:11 am

So it looks like after 13 or 14 games maybe Gillingham are starting to put it all together , hopefully with just about all the teams above us dropping down the table it's not to late for a push before Christmas to get us into the top 10. Our next five games are against teams that are not doing a lot, winning one here ,losing two there, drawing a couple in between, so the time to strike is now.
Ater the Wimbledon game we get into December and there's a tough bit of the schedule with the likes of Sunderland , Fleetwood and Ipswich coming up over the Christmas period. Go Gills lets get 15 points out of the next five games and get us into the running for promotion by the beginning of 2020.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:42 am

We appear to have a decent midfield and are creating chances but, without the Eaves type of forward, there is little end product which is I guess why we find ourselves in 16th with some pretty decent players. I don't see us having the funds for a striker in January and I worry our defence is as thin as it comes, especially when Hodson and Garmston don't look ever like playing for us.

The players are gelling but we have too many midfielders. What I can't get my head round is why Evans brought in the likes of Hodson, Cisse and Pringle but doesn't seem to want to use them. That is 2 midfielders that are taken up a spot for that striker and another defender.

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:04 pm

I thought we were unlucky not to get something.Peterborough were good on the ball,but we created more.Their first goal was a worldie,and the second just into the second half was a fair penalty.Our response was good and late on Mandron latched on to pull one back,and Jakubiak and Ogilvie came close in added time.I didn’t leave feeling too down as we deserved something against a decent side.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 pm

Eaves might want to come back, he has only scored once in like 11 or 12 games for Hull, lol.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions