Steve Evans

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

Steve Evans

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm

Now that we're two months into the season what sort of difference/impression has Steve Evans made ?
CadburyMan

Re: Steve Evans

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:11 pm

I think the quality has improved slightly but then season we did OK with probably the cheapest squad possible in possibly the toughest ever third tier season. You should expect a rise in quality with the players that have been brought in but it still isn't clicking yet. In that respect, I don't feel Evans has had much of an impact and, although we've only lost 4 games, we have only won 2 and that needs changing quickly. This season is weak by comparison. No team is running away with it. The sides at the top have drawn lots of games. The sides at the bottom look awful but the draws are drawing us into the mix at the bottom.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:33 pm

I expected us to be in the top ten from day one to tell you the truth, as you say we have enough new players in the squad to play a whole new team from the one we fielded last year, lol. It's crazy but were getting towards the end of the first quarter of the season , and were sitting in 16th place, I don't think there is much chance of us going down, and we have only had one loss in five games , seems a shame were still floundering in the middle of the table, going nowhere fast.
It's a bit of a funny year, Portsmouth were on the verge of promotion last year and now there fighting to avoid dropping into the basement, Coventry without a ground are in an automatic promotion spot , and if you had told me after 9 or 10 games Gillingham would have about the same G/F as G/A as the third placed team we beat just a couple of games ago, I would have said great, where are we in the table, 4th, 5th, 6th ?
We don't seem to have that " easy run of games anywhere " no three games in a row, home against Southend, away to Wimbledon,home to Accrington , every time we get an " easy should win game " ,we get a tough one the week after.
I came off the golf course last Saturday,went to the car almost scared to look at my phone, dreading the site of that 0-4 thrashing I prayed would not be there , I was almost happy to see we only lost 0-1, and after reading the game reports it's seem we could have snatched a point, which proves Gillingham are capable of going up the table, we just have to stop treading water and start swimming in the right direction , UPWARDS.
Steve Evans, obviously has Scallys ear, someones paying these new players salarys, maybe were expecting to much to soon ? If were sitting around 10th, 11th place in the table at Christmas, 4 or 5 points back from the last play off position I have a feeling it will all start happening in early January, fingers crossed it will ,lets hope so, lol, ...........Go Gills.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:16 am

I agree with most of that. What worries me is that we brought in all these players that now seem redundant and the formation inflexible. We had enough midfielders to field 3 squads at the start of the season. We sacked off players to bring in new ones who now sit on the bench not playing and then bring in even more (Lee, Pringle). We had width and attacking options. We could play a 4.2.3.1 with three attackers in Hanlan, Jakubiak and Ndjoli (with Mandron as reserve) or we could go with a midfield option with a lone striker and Charles-Cook, Marshall, List, and Willock as the wide players in that four up top (add Pringle to that list in place of injured Willock).
But we sacked List.
And then we used a narrow diamond so those players were not played as wingers.
Then Ndjoli doesn't play anymore and we decided that we play 5 at the back with another defender in midfield meaning O'Keefe and Cisse that were brought in for that role now don't play.

Suddenly we have gone from a wealth of attacking options to playing 6 defenders and only one {very limited} way of playing up front. Now we have stopped scoring and concede more. I've said many times that more defenders do not equate to fewer goals conceded as it invites attackers. Where next for Evans? Sack more players and ask Scally for more in January? We know what the answer to that will be, don't we?

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Wish to change my tune about Evans and the players he has bought in......Both EVANS and most of the players seem to be rubbish . Who do you blame, the manager or the players for the crap were dishing up on the pitch , I guess both ??
Evans can build a team if you keep giving him money to buy players until he finally gets it right, BIG DEAL so could I. The players a spineless bunch of crap, a squad of God knows how many dozens and not one of them can kick a ball at the goal let alone score a dam goal. Four shots yesterday against Oxfords SEVENTEEN. A good solid 17th place finish looking good for this year, thanks to Bury, Bolton the Wombles and Southend, and my bet is Evans is gone by next Sunday if we lose next weekend at Sarfend, gone by Christmas what ever happens Dam shame ,it's all a dam shame.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:23 pm

I think the blame has to lie with Evans. We were criticised in the Oxford programme for a poor start to the season, "only" getting a draw a draw away at Doncaster - a side that went to win 5 out of 6 at home! Yeah, rubbish! Burton was poor but we then had some impressive displays from which we didn't get the points we deserved. I think the change in shape is Evans's effort at resolving this but he has filled the starting 11 with defenders and now we have stopped scoring, concede more and cannot use players we invested in. That has to stop asap and that has to be the manager's domain.

Garawa

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION