New signings

Discussion relating to anything Gillingham FC

New signings

Postby Garawa » Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Connor Ogilvie (D) - signs on a permanent deal (2 years)
Jack Bonham (GK) - released by Brentford (2 years)
Lee Hodson (D) - left Glasgow Rangers (2 years)
Stuart O'Keefe (M) - released by Cardiff City (2 years)
Matty Willock (M) - released by Manchester United (2 years)
Ousseynou Cisse (M) - released by MK Dons (2 years)
Mikael Ndjoli (F) - loan from AFC Bournemouth (1 year)
Nathan Thomas (M) - loan from Sheffield United (1 year). Returned to parent club and loaned to Carlisle.
Alfie Jones (D) - loan from Southampton (1 year).
Mark Marshall (M) - released by Charlton (?)
Mikael Mandron (F) - released by Colchester (?)
Alex Jakubiak (F) - loan from Watford (1 year).
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: New signings

Postby Garawa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Some rather exciting names coming through the front doors at the moment. I see when the signings are rubbish, the chairman (rightly) gets slated but when they are decent it is all hail Steve Evans.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm

MY bet is that Scally has had nothing to do with any of these signings other than putting an X on the bottom of the piece of paper that offers these players contracts, and saying in a shaky voice, I have got to pay them HOW MUCH each week ?
Looking at it sensibly who would you put your hard earned cash on to get GFC promoted, Lovell or Evans. My money would go on Evans, and it was obvious he was not going to come and manage GFC if he wasn't given a bucketful of cash to bring in players.
He appears to be building a side that at least on paper (yes I know we don't play it on paper) stand a chance of finishing in the top 6, and then replacing Charlton in the Championship next season, as sure as eggs are eggs there coming back down again, lol.
I can see the Gills in May of 2020 sitting on 80 points in that 5th position behind Sunderland, Portsmouth, MK Dons, and Doncaster and in the playoffs. Now will Evans still be with us, lol,lol, who knows??
Lets get August out of the way,see how the new team jells, and then we can all get excited about a promotion run under Evans, YES even you old GRUMPY Mr. Lidbit, lol.
Last edited by gillsfan1066 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm

What has happened with Tom Eaves, has he gone yet or do you think he might stay now were building what looks like a much better team than we have had in his time here ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm

He has been linked with clubs in Scotland as well as Tranmere, Millwall, Charlton, Sunderland among others so who knows. Sunderland and Charlton have been on-off as failure to get promoted or getting promoted have confused things. Then there was the situation at Charlton with Bowyer leaving then 24 hours later signing a new deal.

Personally, he has had offers lined up since January. He should have signed by now. I am thinking the other clubs involved are (still) League 1 sides and that a move would be a lot of hassle for little gain. I am wondering if he is holding out for a better offer at the Gills. If so, that is unlikely to come until next month but is common to bounce offers back and forth only to sign a new deal late on. I also suspect that he is seeing decent players coming in and thinking that Evans might be offering a decent season. If the club were seeking bringing in Agard then they will have funds to spend on an improved offer.

Of course, tomorrow, he could screw all that up and join Holy at Ipswich!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks buddy, I swear I think GFC are gong to have a great season coming up, I feel it in my bones for the first time in a long time. I know we go into every season thinking good things are going to happen to the Gills but this year I really do see a top 6 finish and a play off place for the Gills. I hope Eaves stays, and knocks in 25/30 goals this year.
Do you need the caravan at Leysdown this year, or are you and the family going up market again to the Isle of White, lol ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:01 am

Hastings actually! Well, just been.

No we are going abroad this year to the mountains. Wales here we come lol

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 am

You are one lucky so and so,I have a 1970 Sprite 16 ft 6 berth caravan parked at the back of the station in that town with the funny name, oh what the hell is it called ........................yeah Cardiff, thats it. It might leak a little bit,but it never rains in Wales so you guys would be fine. The key is under the mat and if there is anyone living in it that doesn't speak English or I guess Welsh, just chuck them out there squatters.
Have a great couple of weeks and as for Hastings , I always have the shivers when I think of Hastings,I don't think I ever went there once in the summer as a kid and the temperature was above 60 degrees, I hated that place .
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:20 pm

Steve signs another two good looking players, Cisse who started his career at PSG, and played for several French teams before coming to MKD and at 6ft 5 should be a great asset in the middle of the park, and another good looking player in, Mikael Ndjoli, only 20 years old but has been at some good clubs over the past few years.
Every player coming in says Evans and Scally are AMBITIOUS, and I believe they are. We all know if things go wrong Evans will be gone, and think this could well be Scallys swan song if were not there in that top 6 come May next year.
Never in a long time have I wanted a season to start as much as this one, I can even smell an FA Cup run this year, lol.
GGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIIII GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby bunburygills » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 am

The signings definitely show promise. I think Matty Willock could be a master stroke if he comes there with the right attitude. Thing is, if they're consistently in the top six or even four, will they get their crowds back. Why not 8 or 9000 if they play attractive football. No point in promotion if you can't get at least that.
bunburygills

Next

Return to GILLS DISCUSSION