[ 25 Feb 23 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:36 pm

Glenn Morris
No votes
Cheye Alexander
No votes
Conor Masterson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
David Tutonda
No votes
Alex MacDonald (88)
No votes
Timothee Dieng (33)
No votes
George Lapslie
No votes
Dom Jefferies
No votes
Oli Hawkins
No votes
Tom Nichols (42)
No votes
(33) Shaun Williams
No votes
(42) Aiden O'Brien
No votes
(88) Will Wright
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 25 Feb 23 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:39 am

- The Gills and AFC Wimbledon have each won 1 of the last 2 meetings, have both won 2 of the last 6 meetings, have both won 3 of the last 8 and have both won 4 of the last 10 games between the sides.
- The Gills have won 1 of the last 8 matches with AFC Wimbledon at Priestfield. They are unbeaten in the last 2, drawing 0-0 last season after a 2-1 win the season before. These games followed 2 successive wins for AFC Wimbledon after 3 successive 2-2 draws.
- AFC Wimbledon are winless in 4 league games, drawing the last 3, and they have 1 win in 8. 6 of their last 14 games have ended 0-0 with 4 of those coming in their last 7 league games. The Gills have drawn 9 league games this season with 4 ending 0-0.
- AFC Wimbledon have won 3 of their last 9 away league games but none in the last 4. Wimbledon have failed to score in their last 3 away games and their 2-2 home draw against Hartlepool ended a sequence of 1 goal in 6 league games (home and away).
- The Gills are League 2's lowest scorers of first half goals (11) despite scoring 7 in the last 7 games. AFC Wimbledon have seen the fewest amount of first half goals in the division (25) partly due to scoring just 2 in their last 12 games and conceding 1 in the last 18 (none in the last 7).
- AFC Wimbledon have kept the most away clean sheets in League 2, preventing the home opposition from scoring in 7 of the 16 games played. However, the remaining 9 games on the road saw them concede 18 goals, the joint 12th best away defensive record.
- AFC Wimbledon have conceded the most fouls in the division with 419. They have won the second highest total number of fouls in League 2 with 425, 21 fewer than Salford. The 844 fouls in Wimbledon's league games (an average of 27.2 per game) is 147 more than in Gills' games.

(15.01) Kick Off [ 4 - 4 - 2 ]

(15.05) The Gills have a corner. It falls to Hawkins who taps it over with the goalkeeper beaten. On target and its a goal.

(15.08) A Wimbledon long range effort deflects wide for a corner with Morris beaten.

(15.18) Alexander skips around 3 challenges and finds Jefferies who fires straight at the keeper when he could have squared to Lapslie.

(15.23) Stoppage in play due to a clash of heads involving Tutonda.

(15.32) Stoppage in play due to a clash of heads involving Dieng who is forced to go off.

(15.34) A cynical foul on Nichols forces him to be subbed after he tried to run off the knock.

(15.46) Lapslie is hit in the face and needs treatment for a bloody nose.

(15.49) Morris tips a shot over the bar after a blatant foul wasn't awarded inside the box.

(15.52) Alex MacDonald hits the bar.

(15.55) Half time 0-0

(16.11) The second half kicks off.

(16.17) GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 AFC Wimbledon: Al-hamadi

(16.24) GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 AFC Wimbledon: Ehmer

(16.32) GOAL! Gillingham 2-1 AFC Wimbledon: Alexander

(16.47) Wimbledon break quick and force Morris into a low stop. With him stranded, the followup is put into the side netting.

(17.00) Wimbledon pressing hard and Gills getting deeper and deeper. Gills clear, Hawkins breaks clear and is pulled down on the edge of the box. Only a yellow is given.

(17.02) FULL TIME 2-1

Attendance: 7,543 (913)
Position: 20th
Referee: Neil Hair
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHDeECOUNAc
BBC Match Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64686216
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 25 Feb 23 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:51 pm

Well that brought back memories......not good ones. Those awful League 2 games the last time we were in the division involving really physical sides. What an awful watch the first half was and Wimbledon really got stuck in. 2 head injuries in the first half, one leading to Dieng being forced off and then they crocked Nichols shortly after and he limped off. Their fans booed every time our players needed treatment then bayed for a free kick for the slightest brush of one of ours....AND GOT IT!!!! Then it was Lapslie's turn after needing blood treatment after an arm to the face. When they went 1-0 up, it brought back all those frustrating games when we were kicked off the park and lost because of it. Strange how they started playing when they went 2-1 down and looked like they could get the equaliser. Justice prevailed.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:28 am

Agree with all the above. What a nasty team Wimbledon were. And what a weird atmosphere there was in the RE! A broom being waved about, someone trying to walk out with a broken chair and old folk ‘fighting’ at the front of the stand. A very strange day; I think I’ll be scuttling back to the box asap!!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:32 pm

I am afraid what is going to start happening in the stands is being led by what is going on on the pitch . I am getting so fed up with watching football, and I never thought I could possibly get fed up with the wonderful game.
A) It's time that after a foul only the players involved and the team captains should be allowed around the ref not six players demanding the "fouler" be sent off.
B) I am sick to death of watching players when a corner is being taken grabbing each other ,it's simple, grab someone get a yellow card.
C) I can never understand that when say a Gillingham player gets fouled outside the box, the Gills can't take the free kick until the other teams spends two minutes building a wall putting players in position to defend there goal, even though the Gills player was originally on his way through to shoot at goal.
D) The other day I watched a game where one of the teams three or four reserves were warming up on the sideline and they got in the way of the oppositions player taking the throw in ,then ten seconds later these reserves who are not even involved in the game are screaming at the ref, because there player got fouled after the throw , red card them and send them off before they get on and by the way anyone not in the eleven on the field should not be allowed to run on to the pitch to celebrate a goal.
E) And just to finish while I am on a roll how after over a 100 ++++++ years can't we just get the offside rule sorted out, if your foot is over " THE LINE" then your offside, if your nose or hand is are over the " line " but your foot isn't then your not offside. You get a player blatantly offside standing close to the keeper ,but because he doesn't touch the ball the goal counts,even though the keeper had one eye on the player who was offside ,one eye on the player with the ball ,absolute bull corn .
F) Put a cap on what a team in each division can pay it's players,especially the Prem., every year for like ever it's the same old ,same old, same old,same old teams in the top 5 or 6 what a joke.,
(and yes I know Newcastle are there for the first time since 1601)
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions