[ 4 Feb 23 ] GILLS v Crawley Town Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:22 pm

Glenn Morris
No votes
David Tutonda
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Conor Masterson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Shaun Williams
No votes
Alex MacDonald (86)
No votes
Dom Jefferies
100%
Timothee Dieng
No votes
Oli Hawkins (62)
No votes
Tom Nichols (89)
No votes
(62) Aiden O'Brien
No votes
(86) George Lapslie
No votes
(89) Tristian Abrahams
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 4 Feb 23 ] GILLS v Crawley Town Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:56 am

- The Gills and Crawley have met 13 times with the Gills leading the wins by 7 wins to 3. The Gills are unbeaten in the last 8 meetings, winning 5 of them (3 wins being in the Football League Trophy).
- The Gills last 4 wins over Crawley all ended 2-1 in Sep 2020, Nov 2018, Mar 2015 and Nov 2014. The 2 times Crawley last beat the Gills both ended in 3-2 scorelines in Sep 2013 and Sep 2012. Their 6 visits to Priestfield generated 4 defeats and 1 win back in Mar 2012.
- Crawley Town have won 3 of their last 13 league and cup games with 1 of those wins coming in their last 5 games. The Gills have also won 3 of their last 13 in all competitions but 2 of those wins have been in the last 3 games.
- Crawley Town have not won an away game in any competition since winning at Newport in April. Since then, they have played 17 games on the road and have drawn 7 and lost 10. Their most recent away game at Newport was a draw which ended 3 straight defeats.
- Crawley's 4 league clean sheets and 1 on the road are both the joint lowest totals in League 2. Crawley have scored in their last 5 away games, scoring 7 of their 11 away games then. The Gills have failed to score in 3 of their last 4 at home, scoring 6 home goals in total).
- Crawley's 209 shots at goal (on target, off target and blocked) is fewest in League 2, along with the lowest average shots per game of 8.4. This is largely down to having the fewest shots on target in the division with 134.
- Crawley have won the fewest corners in League 2 with 92. The Gills have conceded 8 and 7 in their last 2 games but Crawley have only won more corners in any of their league games once this season.

(15.03) Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

(15.03) Crawley quickly press the Gills defence. After an attack is thwarted, the ball finds its way to the left hand post just a few yards from goal and its tapped wide.

(15.14) Jefferies breaks the offside trap and has limited options from a couple of yards out so goes it alone and hits the side netting.

(15.16) Crawley come forward and work space around 2 Gills defenders then Morris but slips with only the goal to beat. Morris then saves the follow up.

(15.22) A pin ball moment from a Crawley corner somehow isn't poked home. Then a long range effort deflects just wide for a corner.

(15.29) Good work from Nichols finds Jefferies in the box just as Hawkins goes down in the box. Perhaps distracted, Jefferies puts it wide when likely to score.

(15.37) The visitors hit the right hand post after the offside flag went up.

(15.49) Half time 0-0

(16.04) The second half kicks off.

(16.06) GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Crawley Town: Williams

(16.18) Great play from Nichols who holds the ball up well and produces a great cross but Dieng's header is straight at the 'keeper. Either side and it should be a goal.

(16.55) FULL TIME 1-0

Attendance: 9,317 (840)
Position: 23rd
Referee: Lewis Smith
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8pbhLpIsA
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64435901
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 4 Feb 23 ] GILLS v Crawley Town Match Thread

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:31 pm

Very excited to be making my first visit to Priestfield in 2023 on Saturday. I can’t remember the last time I was there as part of a sell out crowd; ( I missed the Leicester game). Gary, any idea when we last sold out a league game? I’m obviously not slumming it in the RE anymore; Mrs L is coming and I wouldn’t want to scare the RE boys away, so we’re in a box just to the right of the dug outs where I can keep her hidden! (Thank goodness she doesn’t read these posts!) I’ll be trying to get the Medway Stand singing, but I’ll probably just get the usual strange looks as I sing all by myself! Come on Blue Boys; make me a happy Lidbid at 4:50 Saturday afternoon!!
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:01 pm

it has to be the Championship years I reckon. Hard to tell really because the gates never seem to match and even when we seem full, the figures are about 9kish
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:53 pm

I am trying to get a ticket on a flight to come and defend that wonderful woman's honor, YOU SIR ARE A CAD and I challenge you to a duel on the half way line at dawn. Bikes and mops, bring a good second with a cloth to clean up the oil from your chain when you go down on the center spot . All the airlines I have called must be really busy as none of them are answering, I have called B.O.A.C., DAN AIR , B. E. A., BRITISH CALEDONIAN, SKYWAYS, THOMAS COOK AIRLINES and I a not getting an answer from any of them. If anyone knows Sir Freddy Lakers home phone number give me a shout,he will get me on one of his flights.
I said to a guy who I was playing golf with whose wife left after she had dropped him off at the course and stopped to chat for a few minutes, your wife seemed very nice and he looked at me and said through gritted teeth,NOT EVERYTHING THAT GLITTERS IS GOLD,lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:21 pm

From what I can see in League games the last time we sold out was against AFC Wimbeldon, April 20th ,2013, a gate of 11,172. We had some good crowds that year, over 10,000 against both Plymouth and Accrington Stanley.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions