[ 15 Oct 22 ] GILLS v Stevenage FC Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Glenn Morris
No votes
Cheye Alexander (84)
No votes
Will Wright
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Elkan Baggott
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Shaun Williams
No votes
Alex MacDonald (83)
No votes
Hakeeb Adelakun (74)
No votes
Scott Kashket (84)
No votes
Mikael Mandron (69)
No votes
(67) Lewis Walker
No votes
(74) Dom Jefferies
No votes
(83) Ryan Law
No votes
(84) Haji Mnoga
No votes
(84) Jordan Green
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 15 Oct 22 ] GILLS v Stevenage FC Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:23 pm

- Stevenage have won their last 5 games and an impressive 14 of their 17 matches in all competitions this season including beating higher league opposition Wycombe, Peterborough (twice) and Reading. After ending a spell of no wins in 11 (and 3 wins in 24) back in April, they have won 18 of their 24 games.
- The only games Stevenage have not won from the 17 played this season have come on their League 2 travels at Walsall (draw), Salford (loss) and Bradford (loss) leaving them with an away record of W3, D1 and L2. They have won all 7 home league games with 5 clean sheets from 6.
- There are goals aplenty on Stevenage's league travels. Along with Bradford, Colchester and Hartlepool, they are 1 of 4 League 2 sides not to have kept a clean sheet away from home. However, they are also 1 of 4 sides to have scored in every away game (along with Leyton Orient, Tranmere & Crewe).
- Stevenage have not allowed their opponents to take a shot on target in either of the last 2 games played. At an average of 2.7 shots on target conceded per game, this is the best record in the division.
- Stevenage's 135 shots off target (the most in League 2) has contributed to them taking more shots at goal (200) than anyone else in the division. They have the joint highest this season in a game with 24 whilst the most the Gills have managed in a league match is 13.

(15:02) Kick Off [ 4 - 4 - 2 ]
A minute applause precedes the game for the passing of Gills' former kitman Malcolm Steadman

(15.24) First real chance of the game goes to the Gills. Adelakun beats three men and puts in a great ball across the face of goal. Kashket sprints to meet it but from close range puts it over the bar!

(15.30) GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Stevenage: Rose

(15.42) GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Stevenage: Baggott

(15.49) Half time 1-1

(16.06) The second half kicks off.

(16.14) Williams corner towards the back post is met by Mandron and Baggott but whoever got the last touch puts it narrowly wide of the left post.

(16.16) Adelakun tries a shot from distance which goes just wide. Worth a shot.

(16.25) A Gills back header needs to be tipped over the bar by Morris for a Stevenage corner.

(16.27) Gilbey goes down in the box after seemingly getting to the ball first but no penalty is given.

(16.35) Former Gill Jordan Robert's turn to put it wide when certain to score!

(16.54) FULL TIME 1-1

Attendance:
Position: 18th
Referee: Ross Joyce
Match highlights:
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63182355
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 15 Oct 22 ] GILLS v Stevenage FC Match Thread

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:23 am

First game we’ve managed to get to this year; we’re back in our box and looking forward to a famous win! Also looking forward to seeing our flex manager; he’s sure to get a lovely welcome!!
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:14 pm

He's tried to buy our favour saying how much he loved the Gills fans but his first moan will I'm sure be met with derision. Wonder if he'll change his mind then?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Well I really enjoyed that and was pleasantly surprised! If Stevenage are a top of the table team then there is not much between the top and where we are. Gills really should have taken the lead midway through the first half and it was a bit of a shock when we conceded; Stevenage's first chance. A good response led to the equaliser; both goals well taken headers. Second half was an even affair, but Stevenage were guilty of wasting a gilt edge opportunity when the Gills defence parted like the Red Sea and left an attacker one on one with the keeper but somehow managed to pass the ball the right side of the post for us! The Gills subs all made an impact and there were some interest moments in the Stevenage goalmouth but in the end a draw seemed fair. If Gills continue to play like that the only way is up. Oh, and Evans got booked at the end for approaching the red aggressively which made the afternoon even more fun!!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:30 pm

They say an elephant never changes it spots or something like that,I guess Evans will be Evans for ever. I really ,really ,really hope we can get into a play off position by the end of the season, I know it is a tall order and I honestly don't think we have an owner ,a manager or a team that are capable of getting us that far ,but man would I love to be proved wrong,even if that means I will have been wrong twice in the last ten years. It scare me if a team doesn't bounce straight back up, I look at teams like Bradford City who came down into the 4th Division like 15 years ago, a team like Wrexham who seemed to beat us every time we played them in the 70's, and have disappeared into a big black hole. Go Gills ,come on lets have a minimum of four or five shots on goal a game from here on in.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions