[ 22 Feb 22 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:45 pm

Aaron Chapman
No votes
Conor Masterson
100%
Max Ehmer
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Ben Thompson
No votes
Olly Lee (85)
No votes
Ben Reeves (67)
No votes
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(67) Charlie Kelman
No votes
(85) Daniel Phillips
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 22 Feb 22 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:45 pm

- The Gills won the corresponding fixture last season 2-1. This came after winless home games against AFC Wimbledon which ended 1-2, 0-1, 2-2, 2-2, 2-2 and 3-4.
- The Gills worst winless run this season spanned 17 games in all competitions and they failed to score in 4 successive matches. AFC Wimbledon are currently having their worst winless run, currently 14 games, during which they failed to score in 5 successive matches.
- AFC Wimbledon have lost 3 of their last 4 games including their last 2 away games (0-4 at Bolton and 2-3 at Charlton). On the road in all competitions, the visitors have drawn 2 and lost 5 away games since their last win on the road at Accrington in December.
- AFC Wimbledon have won the fewest corners in League 1 (122) at an average of 3.8 per game. They have, however, won 11 in their last 2 matches. The Gills have conceded just 6 in total from their last 3.
- The Gills have drawn 11 League 1 games this season. The only other sides in the division with more draws are AFC Wimbledon and Cheltenham with 13.

(19.47) Kick Off [ 3 - 4 - 2 - 1 ]

(19.50) Ryan Jackson goes on a mazy run and tests the defence, winning a corner. Lee's corner finds Ehmer who side foots goalward and somehow the 'keeper gets a hand to it when he was falling the other way.

(19.54) The Gills have the ball in the Wimbledon box. They can't get the ball under control and, after 8 or 9 headers in the area, Oliver sends a bicycle kick wide.

(19.57) Another Gills corner ends up in a Gills throw. Jackson takes it quickly, Ehmer crosses and Oliver heads over with the goal at his mercy.

(20.02) A good cross to the penalty spot allows an AFC Wimbledon attacker a free header which goes wide. A minute later, Jackson finds Thompson on the right edge of the area who blasts a right-footed shot just wide.

(20.05) A long-range Wimbledon free kick finds another free header in the box which goes wide. This time the offside flag goes up.

(20.34) Half time 0-0

(20.50) The second half kicks off.

(20.55) Thompson waits to pick his man from wide on the right. Oliver is unmarked, he guides his header beyond the keeper, but also beyond the post from ten yards.

(21.15) Wimbledon come on the attack, get into the box but drives a left footer wide of the left post.

(21.21) After Thompson has been down inside the box a couple of times, this time Oliver goes down. Big shouts for a penalty but again the referee waves away the appeals.

(21.25) Wimbledon make a double substitution and come forward. One sub, Pressley, receives the ball, flicks it up and slams the volley high over the bar and would have tested severely Chapman had it been on target.

(21.29) Another Wimbledon sub tries an overhead bicycle kick which strikes the top of the bar.

(21.34) O'Keefe slams a shot from distance which was going wide. Thompson manages to get his head on the ball to deflect it slightly on target but the 'keeper gathers.

(21.39) A chipped cross leaves the Wimbledon 'keeper stranded and a large melee ensues as the Gills desperately try to stab the ball over the line.

(21.40) FULL TIME 0-0

Attendance: 4,151
Position: 23rd
Referee: Chris Sarginson
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNLSQKersaI
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60383846
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 22 Feb 22 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:00 pm

I don't think there can be much of a bigger match this season as this one tonight at Priestfield. I hope after last weeks debacle the crowds turn out to support the Gills. I know it is a Tuesday night and I guess your weather has been bad , and spending 20 +quid to watch this rubbish mid week is asking a lot , but lose this one, and Division Four he we come.......again.
I just hope if that happens we don't then go the way of Southend , Leyton O,Notts County, Wrexham,Grimsby. Amazing a few years ago Wrexham were a bogey team for the Gills , I worked with a guy from there ,they always seemed to beat us, now they have been in the crapper for what 20 years ?
Come on you Gills,Bolton,Charlton,Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland all on the horizon,Portsmouth and Rotherham to finish the season,changing leagues with Forest Green Rangers will seem real gut wrenching.
All because the clever moron who owns the team just could not do it right, had to show how clever he was by not paying the taxes we owed, God what a moron that ugly piggy eyed dick is. I bet you he bails on the team in the near future, I hope Mr . L has got a good pension, enough to buy the Gills and keep them in business.
gillsfan1066

Re: [ 22 Feb 22 ] GILLS v AFC Wimbledon Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:44 pm

AAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHH, sounds like we completely outclassed them and should have had at least one penalty, I hope we don't live to regret those two lost points. TWENTY shots, that's how it should be ,kick the damn ball at the goal any chance you get. Fleetwood have got 4 or 5 games in hand so I think it's between us , Wimbledon,The Shrews and Lincoln,everyone else seems safe, and who do we play next, oh hell.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions