[ 24 Aug 21 ] GILLS v Cheltenham Match Thread (EFL Cup R2)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Aaron Chapman
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Rhys Bennett
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
David Tutonda (1)
No votes
Daniel Adshead
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Ben Reeves (3)
No votes
Olly Lee
No votes
Danny Lloyd
No votes
Vadaine Oliver (2)
No votes
(1) Bailey Akehurst
No votes
(2) Jack Tucker
No votes
(3) Mustapha Carayol
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 24 Aug 21 ] GILLS v Cheltenham Match Thread (EFL Cup R2)

Postby Garawa » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:14 pm

- The Gills are playing a 2nd round match in the League Cup for the 2nd consecutive season after missing out on the 3 seasons before. On the previous 7 occasions stretching back to 2004/5 in which we played a 2nd round match, all have previously been against higher league opposition.
- The Gills have progressed to Round 3 from the last 2 occasions in which they played a 2nd round match. This came after exiting at this stage on the 4 previous occasions. In total, the Gills have won 9 Round 2 games (5 at home), lost 28 (13 at home) and drawn 11.
- Of the 48 previous games played in Round 2, the Gills have only played 4 against sides from the same division and 2 of those came in a 2-legged round against Torquay (home draw and away defeat). At home win against Millwall (2001) and away win at Stoke (2003) were the only others.
- Before kick off, the Gills had scored exactly half as many goals in Round 2 of the League Cup as they had conceded (45 scored and 90 conceded).

(19:45) Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

(19.52) A Cheltenham clearance is blocked by Reeves. The balls spins towards Oliver in the 6 yard box but the spin of the ball takes the chance away from big V and out for a goal-kick.

(20.03) Tutonda appears to be pulled down in the box. Tutonda doesn't appeal for a penalty and a goal-kick is given.

(20.04) GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Cheltenham Town: Oliver

(20.08) GOAL! Gillingham 1-1 Cheltenham Town: May

(20.33) Half time 1-1

(20.49) The second half kicks off.
Oliver picked up a knock after scoring the goal and couldn't shake it off during the half. Tucker comes on in his place and Ehmer moves up front!

(20.55) Reeves then Lloyd have shots which go just wide and high of the goal.

(21.06) A free header is allowed for the visitors but they hit it straight at the 'keeper.

(21.36) With minutes to go, the Gills get caught in defence but the attacker through on goal hits the shot over the bar from inside the box.

(21.39) FULL TIME 1-1

(21.43) The penalty shoot-out begins.
Lee - Scored
Cheltenham - Scored
O'Keefe - Saved
Cheltenham - Scored
Lloyd - Scored
Cheltenham - Scored
Carayol - Scored
Cheltenham - Scored
Adshead - Scored
Cheltenham - Scored - Cheltenham win 5-4 on penalties

Attendance:
Referee: David Rock
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8McGjyIs
BBC Sport Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58239551
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 24 Aug 21 ] GILLS v Cheltenham Match Thread (EFL Cup R

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:41 am

After 18 months I got to my first Gills game in 18 months,with Covid etc. I came with my brother,but not the welcome back I wanted. Missed the two goals due to being stuck on a train,then we lost the penalty shootout 4-5. Good to be back at Priestfield after a long time though.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions