[ 10 Apr 21 ] GILLS v Shrewsbury Town Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Jack Tucker
50%
Robbie Cundy
50%
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe (1)
No votes
Alex MacDonald (3)
No votes
Kyle Dempsey
No votes
Jordan Graham
No votes
John Akinde (2)
No votes
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(1) Robbie McKenzie
No votes
(2) Dominic Samuel
No votes
(3) Olly Lee
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 10 Apr 21 ] GILLS v Shrewsbury Town Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:12 pm

- Shrewsbury lead the wins 25 to the Gills 20 and there have been 23 draws. Shrewsbury have only beaten the Gills 3 times in the 12 meetings since 2014 and all 3 have come at Priestfield.
- The Gills won this fixture 2-0 last season. It ended a 6-game winless run at home to Shrewsbury which had seen 4 losses.
- After no wins in 10 at the start of the season, Shrewsbury then won 8 of the following 12 league games. Their most recent 10 games since have returned 3 wins and 3 defeats whilst the Gills have enjoyed 5 wins and suffered 2 defeats in their last 10.
- Shrewsbury have won 2 of their last 4 away games and also 6 of their last 12. They have won 7 away league games this season with the first 5 ending with 1-0 scorelines. Their most recent 2 saw 2-0 and 2-1 wins at Rochdale and Burton respectively.
- Shrewsbury have taken the fewest shots off target in the division (228) which has contributed to the fewest attempts at goal (348). The Gills have managed 429 attempts with 273 off target.

15.03 Kick Off [ 4 - 4 - 2 ]

After a couple of half chances for the Gills (notably Oliver fluffing his lines on the edge of the 6 yard box), Ogilvie forces a good save from the keeper from his powerful header.

Shrewsbury win a corner after a previous corner was taken short, tapped around the edge of the box before a powerful drive is deflected over the bar.

A little flick forward is met by the head of a Shrewsbury attacker but Cundy stands firm to prevent him getting any power on the header and Bonham collects.

Shrewsbury should have scored. A side footed shot is heading into the bottom left corner but a retreating Cundy gets his heel on to the ball to deflect it just wide of the post.

Ogilvie stabs a tame effort goalward which hits the base of the post and bounces across the face of goal and out of play.

15.50 Half time 0-0 (46:57)

The second half kicks off.

Ogilvie has a vital interception from behind to prevent a shot shortly before a strong effort is parried by Bonham who then collects the loose ball as it falls.

Long throw from Jackson finds the head of Ogilvie but his header just clears the bar and falls on to the roof of the net.

Gills break after Samuel steals the ball. He drives forward with Oliver to his left however passes behind his forward partner who has to dig out an opportunity and blazes high over the bar.

Whalley blasts a rocket from 30 yards out which goes well wide of goal. On target, it would have been unstoppable and goal of the season certainty.

A Dempsey freekick deflects over the bar. The corner misses Lee and falls to Tucker whose effort is blocked. The ball is cleared but comes back and Oliver shoots just wide of the post.

A weak shot going well wide deflects off of Tucker closer to the goal and trickles narrowly wide of the left hand post.

The ball falls to Graham in the box and curls a shot which is saved by the keeper as the full time whistle goes.

16.56 FULL TIME 0-0 (95:53)

Attendance: 0 (0)
Position: 10th
Referee: Trevor Kettle
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGKDjAr_Mk
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56622010
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 10 Apr 21 ] GILLS v Shrewsbury Town Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:43 pm

NIl -Nil against a team that scores an average of a goal a game, what has Priestfield become the place that all of a sudden everyone wants go to play well, do they think there going to Sunderland or Hull, yeah were at mighty Gillingham today let's play the best game we have all season against that great side.
No , once again we play a team way below us , and don't get a win LIKE WE SHOULD , if we were serious about a run at a playoff spot.
Now because we have played more games than those teams around us were going to end up going into free fall, as we watch Charlton and Ipswitch fight for the spot we occupied a couple of games ago.
Is the grumpy Scots contract up this year, or has he got one more year to go, not that I think anyone else who would apply for the job would be any better ?
Last edited by gillsfan1066 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillsfan1066

Postby Gills61 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:06 am

I have been watching the Gills on line this season and whether it's the fact there's no atmosphere but I get totally bored. There just seems to be no actual football, we always have less possession and that is because the ball is lofted up in the air to Vadaine constantly which I admit he wins more often than not but mostly that is where it ends. I would just like us to play more football.
Gills61

Postby Garawa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:33 pm

Hello Gills61 and welcome to the board.

I love watching the Gills on Sky and get quite excited when it happens. Its not the same as in person but still good. However, I just can't get excited by the iFollow games. I'm sure it is because I haven't seen a match in person since last February, the longest I have gone without seeing one. I often wonder if I would come away from games more enthused had I been walking away from Priestfield. I will never know for sure as I can't watch a game at home AND at the ground but I think I would be more excited by our play.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:22 am

Not the best of games,but a point,and a clean sheet.Oliver and Ogilvie should have scored,but it seemed one of those days.6 unbeaten at home now,but two tough sway games to come in a week.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions