[ 5 Feb 21 ] GILLS v Lincoln City Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Robbie Cundy
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
33%
Callum Slattery (4)
No votes
Kyle Dempsey (3)
No votes
Alex MacDonald (2)
No votes
Olly Lee (1)
No votes
Jordan Graham
67%
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(1) John Akinde
No votes
(2) Tom O'Connor
No votes
(3) Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
(4) James Morton
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: [ 5 Feb 21 ] GILLS v Lincoln City Match Thread

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:18 am

Fair point 1066 but we didn't do what Steve Evans said and it's all very well having possession but if you don't make it count results like last night's will continue unabated.

Sad thing is we have good players for the division we are in .....
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:45 pm

I agree. I just don't buy the "smallest budget in the league" moniker we keep being given. Honestly, given a choice for a club of our size in the division we are in, I would bite your arm off to have Dempsey, Graham and Lee in midfield, Samuel up top and even Ogilvie and Tucker at the back. I would even say Bonham is a good 'keeper at this level.

The commentators said that we would have to make the game ugly to win and we didn't, we don't have the players to do that and I'm glad. They sat deep and broke quick, scoring from the few shots they had. They battled hard and stopped up playing. I thought a flailing arm broke Lee's nose but it was a gash and Ogilvie had blood pouring through a bandaged head. Akinde got a yellow card for jumping to head a ball when being prevented from jumping by a Lincoln player holding down his shoulder. It was that sort of match.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Oh, and by the way, I watched the match, I watched the poor 2-2 with Rochdale, I watched the woeful 0-1 with Burton. I didn't watch the 4-1 win at Rochdale or the 4-1 win at home to Crewe or the decent 2-2 at Sunderland. Clearly I need to stop watching Gills matches!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:44 pm

I KNEW it was your damn fault, hahahaha. I agree with you,I think we have some good players and I know others don't agree with me , but if someone from say Southend didn't know the score and just watched the game without seeing the goals, I swear especially in the first half they would have said Gillingham will win this match.
Talking of Southend, hahaha, what the hell has happened to them ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:27 pm

What often happens to sides when they get into a bad situation which coincides with poor runs of results and you just cannot stop it. There are a fair few sides in the Conference that suffered the same fate. The same happens with sides doing well. These things can disregard stature entirely. Tiny sides like Burton have rode the crest of a wave into the Championship whilst big "Premier League" sides such as Sunderland, Hull, Blackpool, Wigan and Bradford find themselves languishing after something at the club results in a relegation then they can't stop another.

You can spend what you like trying to gain or avoid but it cannot beat an unstoppable run.

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:02 am

A 0-3 defeat,but watching on the day pass I thought we played well.We had more chances than them,but the difference was they were clinical.The harsh penalty knocked the stuffing out of us.I don’t think it was a 0-3 defeat game at all.You can see why Lincoln are up there though,as they’re quick on the counter,and clinical when it matters.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Ken-Tucky - you must have the same TV as 1066; we were hardly at the races. If you take the managers pre-match comments we were never going to play "football" - we were just to going to bully Lincoln and we didn't even do that. We got exactly what we deserved and you can see why some of the on-loan players were recalled by their parent clubs and loaned out elsewhere - even struggling Southend were preferred over the Gills.
CadburyMan

Previous

Return to Match Discussions