[ 5 Feb 21 ] GILLS v Lincoln City Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:08 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Robbie Cundy
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
33%
Callum Slattery (4)
No votes
Kyle Dempsey (3)
No votes
Alex MacDonald (2)
No votes
Olly Lee (1)
No votes
Jordan Graham
67%
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(1) John Akinde
No votes
(2) Tom O'Connor
No votes
(3) Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
(4) James Morton
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 5 Feb 21 ] GILLS v Lincoln City Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:31 am

- The Gills lead the wins over Lincoln 20 to 15 and 13 of the meetings ended level. Lincoln have failed to score at Priestfield in 4 of their last 6 visits but have also won 2 of the last 3, their last win occurring back in August 2010.
- The Gills haven't conceded a goal in 3 meetings with Lincoln and have scored 5 goals. They have kept 7 clean sheets in the last 11 meetings, scoring 17 goals and conceding 6.
- Since their last clean sheet at home, Lincoln have conceded in 8 straight home league games, conceding 13 goals. Away from home however, they have conceded just 2 goals in 9 games and have kept 7 clean sheets.
- Lincoln's 1-0 home defeat to Doncaster on Saturday ended an unbeaten run of 6 league matches (5 wins). They have won 5 consecutive away league games and 8 of their last 11 on the road, losing just once on their travels this season (another 1-0 defeat at Doncaster).
- Lincoln have faced 80 shots on target and have conceded 20 goals. Their 25% goal conversion rate for their opponents is the leanest total in the division. The Gills aren't far behind, conceding from 27.1% of all shots on target but have faced 118 shots.
- Lincoln have scored 35 league goals this season with 24 coming in the second halves of their matches, the most in the division. 17 of those 24 have been scored in the final 20 minutes compared with the Gills who have scored 14 goals in all of the second halves.

18.00 Kick Off [ 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 ]

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Lincoln City: McGrandles
Lincoln City have scored first in 7 of their 11 away league games this season and have won all 7.

A give and go from Graham gets it back in the box and from the same position he scored from against Sunderland, a brilliant sliding block puts the ball out for a corner.

18.48 Half time 0-1 (48:04)
Lincoln have won all 7 league matches after leading at half time. Away from home they have won all 4 whilst the Gills have lost all 4 at home when losing at the break.

The second half kicks off.

Lincoln hit the crossbar.

Penalty! Ryan Jackson concedes a foul inside the box.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Lincoln City: Grant (pen)

GOAL! Gillingham 0-3 Lincoln City: Hopper

Gills bring on O'Connor and Akinde. Straight from their entrance, Dempsey drives a fierce shot which the keeper parries, O'Connor sends in back in and Akinde heads on to the bar.

Lincoln haven't had much of the ball deep in the Gills half but have scored when they do (3 goals from 5 shots). A foul in their own half on Graham goes unpunished, they break and the ball fizzes across the 6 yard box and past the far post.

Lincoln have the ball in the net but it is chalked off for offside.

19.58 FULL TIME 0-3 (99:28)

Attendance: 0 (0)
Position: 14th
Referee: Samuel Barrott
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPBHLibAhZo
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55850858
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 5 Feb 21 ] GILLS v Lincoln City Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:31 am

Match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Football from 17:30
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:39 pm

Oh well that's the kiss of death for the Gills, I still remember when we used to play Southend or Brighton on ITV South I think it was called, once a season back in the early 70's, I don't think we wever won when it was on the telly. I have often wondered that if ITV South showed a Saturday game every Sunday afternoon,who the hell did they show for the 45 weeks when the one Gills game against another Southern team were not on ?
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Oh well that's the kiss of death for the Gills, I still remember when we used to play Southend or Brighton on ITV South I think it was called, once a season back in the early 70's, I don't think we wever won when it was on the telly. I have often wondered that if ITV South showed a Saturday game every Sunday afternoon,who the hell did they show for the 45 weeks when the one Gills game against another Southern team were not on ?
gillsfan1066

Postby sotongill » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:15 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:Oh well that's the kiss of death for the Gills, I still remember when we used to play Southend or Brighton on ITV South I think it was called, once a season back in the early 70's, I don't think we wever won when it was on the telly. I have often wondered that if ITV South showed a Saturday game every Sunday afternoon,who the hell did they show for the 45 weeks when the one Gills game against another Southern team were not on ?

Remember the shows well . Of course , they also had Southampton , Portsmouth , Brighton and Bournemouth to choose from , so we were usually fifth choice . They didn't have to be local games ,although that was usually a reason to show us . I've lived in Southampton since 1986 , and Meridian has replaced Southern , but you wouldn't know it from watching the local sports news ; Swindon , Oxford and Reading , are included , although they are part of other ITV regions . Any complaints are met with a generic statement about catchment areas .

Fortunately , ITV do not show any live league football . Nor can you trust them to , when they missed a very early England goal because they were still on an advert break .
sotongill

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:28 pm

I am 3,975 miles away from Priestfield , the temperature is 25 degrees F below, we have 14 inches of snow and ice on the ground, I have spent the last 45 minutes clearing some snow away so I can move my car, and I have not seen a Gillingham F C game in person for about FORTY SEVEN YEARS, yet here I am sitting with a coffee and I have still got that " school exam nerves stomach feeling " ,for today's game. GO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:38 pm

Gillingham are clearly the better side,they must have had 75% of the posesion in the first 30 minutes, there not the more skilful because Lincoln's goal was pretty damn good, but if they keep up this pressure they will tie it up. Listening to the commentators they seem to want Lincoln to win at all costs. Come on you Gills let's tie this up before halftime. I think the refs great, he seems to be a Gills supporter, is it Mr.Lidbit with a whistle ?
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:27 pm

I must get a new TV ; the same model as 1066 as mine showed me that Lincoln were a far better side with better possession and thoroughly deserved the win.

Interesting to see that lovely Mr Evan's has had more yellow cards than any of the players
CadburyMan

Postby Rimshot » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:57 am

Agreed Cadbury. We completed well enough in pure effort and energy but they were a class above us. As for Evans, everyone is a class above him.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:43 am

Now be fair I did say through the first 30 minutes,and I did say that Lincolns goal was class ,but you have to admit the Gills had possession for probably 65 % to 70 % of the time during the first 45 minutes . Can't help but think if we had a certain Mr. Eaves in the line up I would have bet we would have gone into the break 1-1. Lincoln can put 7 men in the back and it stops Gillingham scoring,but we can't do the same thing ?
With regards to Evans well in the interview before the game with him I was a little bit surprised when he implied that we would basically kick them off the pitch and do what ever it was that was needed to stop them scoring.
But like the commentator said were a "poor club", we can't spend to bring in top class players,I think the exact words were" Evans has to work with what he has got ",or something along those lines.
gillsfan1066

Next

Return to Match Discussions