[ 12 Dec 20 ] Doncaster v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Tom O'Connor (3)
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Alex MacDonald (1)
No votes
Kyle Dempsey
No votes
Dominic Samuel
No votes
John Akinde (2)
No votes
Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(1) Zech Medley
No votes
(2) Jacob Mellis (4)
No votes
(3) Trae Coyle
No votes
(4) Josh Eccles
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 12 Dec 20 ] Doncaster v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:04 pm

- The Gills lead the wins 34-13 and a further 19 have ended level. The Gills have won the last 2, both at Priestfield, and are unbeaten in 3 meetings.
- The Gills have lost just once to Doncaster in 11 meetings, a 3-1 home defeat and last lost an away tie at Rovers in March 2008.
- The Gills have drawn their last 4 trips to Doncaster and are unbeaten in 5 visits.
- After 4 defeats in 6 games, Doncaster have since played 9 games and lost twice (against Hull in the league and Wolves U21s in the Football League Trophy). They have won 3 of the last 4.
- Doncaster have suffered 1 home league defeat in 11 matches, a 2-1 loss to Crewe. They have won 7 of those 11 matches.
- Doncaster have scored in all of their home league matches and all bar 1 league game home and away. 16 of their 25 goals have come in the second halves of their league games, the joint highest total in the division.

15.00 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

Doncaster, with just a few half chances, go close with a header over the bar.

GOAL! Doncaster 1-0 Gillingham: James

Half chance for the Gills as Alex MacDonald fires into the side netting.

Jack Bonham closes down an attack well and blocks with his leg for a corner which is headed high over the bar.

15.47 Half time (47:07)

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Doncaster 1-1 Gillingham: Dempsey

GOAL! Doncaster 2-1 Gillingham: Halliday

A Doncaster shot by a sub's first touch strikes the inside of the post and bounces across the area.

Mellis limps off and is replaced by Eccles, the first time the Gills have used more than 3 subs in a league match.

16.55 FULL TIME 2-1 (97:36)

Attendance:
Position: 12th
Referee: Trevor Kettle
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFIb6nx-tZI
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55196966
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 12 Dec 20 ] Doncaster v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:55 pm

I only saw the result,and it looks like we were easily second best.They had 26 shots to our 7,so it seems 2-1 flatters us.I hope we can bounce back against Accrington on Tuesday night.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Evans said after the match that once we got the goal some of the players switched off. I hope by Monday morning either those players or Evans are on a bus to greener pastures. We managed to hold the ball for 24 minutes, and Doncaster held onto it for ONE HOUR and SIX MINUTES and we had ONE shot on Target, sorry that's BULL S*IT, This game was a complete insult to ANYONE who has ever stood or sat in the stands to watch a Gillingham FC game and if Scally allows this to continue then when the fans go back, he will be lucky to have 2500 butts in the seats and good riddance to him , the lousy manager and the stinking lazy players, your all a damn disgrace .
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:26 am

Interesting 1066 that you pick up on the stats to highlight the shortcomings and it only goes to show that we've got away with it in a number of our previous games, so I suppose the result has been waiting to happen

This doesn't make it any easier to accept but we all knew it would
CadburyMan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:34 pm

I am not there to watch the game but I have been saying for weeks that there is no way on God's Green earth can we go week after week getting around 30 %-39% of the play and have one or two shots on target and get into the promotion race. I am not a mathematical genius like Mr.Lidbit ,and I don't think we have the magical defence of 95/96, but I guarantee you as longs as Evans has a hole in his backside there is no way we can win if the other side scores two goals and we have one shot on target,
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:37 pm

I really don't think possession is much of a concern these days. Let a side pass the ball around their penalty area and have 85% possession but break on the counter-attack and score. What passage of play had any effect? As I've said before, Bayern have beaten Real Madrid 4-0 with around 30% of the ball. Everton beat Chelsea this weekend with 28% possession and fewer shots so personally I don't really care about possession as we tend to break quite swiftly.

What does worry me is the number of attempts on target we are managing. We are playing with 3 strikers and it is limiting the creativity somewhat. We have lost games we ought to have won when we played with a strong midfield but lately have won games we were lucky to. We need to get back to worrying about creating chances because if we are winning games when we create little, we can do so more but that means we must prioritise the midfield.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:45 pm

This has got to be only the second time in the history of New Brompton Football Club a HUNDRED AND TWENTY SEVEN YEARS that we have been mentioned along with Bayern Munich ,Real Madrid, Everton and Chelsea, in the same paragraph, and the strangest thing is only last week I was telling a friend of mine how much Gillingham FC remind me of those four teams....NOT .
Third division players can't hold on to the ball, I watch highlight reels and the players panic and go into kick and rush mode. Doncaster had TWENTY SIX SHOTS, SEVEN on Target compared to our seven shots with one on target. If I told you before the game that Sittingbourne were playing Manchester United in the FA Cup, and they were going to have 26 shots with 7 on target against Man Utd 7 with 1 on target I think most people would bet the farm on a Sittingbourne win.
Why no one is screaming for the Managers head I don't know, I guess complacency , supporting Gillingham FC stops people caring, they just go to the games win or lose ,no one seems to care, the attitude seems to be were happy being in the Third Division, who the hell wants to be like Brighton or Bournemouth, teams we were only playing a few years ago ?
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions