[ 20 Oct 20 ] GILLS v Portsmouth Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Jack Bonham
100%
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Christian Maghoma
No votes
Declan Drysdale
No votes
Tom O'Connor
No votes
Jacob Mellis
No votes
Josh Eccles
No votes
Jordan Graham
No votes
Vadaine Oliver (2)
No votes
Dominic Samuel (1)
No votes
(1) John Akinde
No votes
(2) Alex MacDonald
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 20 Oct 20 ] GILLS v Portsmouth Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 am

- Portsmouth have won more than half of the meetings (19). The Gills have won 9 and the remaining 9 have ended level.
- The Gills are unbeaten in 5 league meetings against Portsmouth although the most recent 2 matches have been drawn. Portsmouth have scored just 2 goals in those games however there was a 4-0 Football League Trophy win for the visitors in that sequence.
- Portsmouth have won 3 of their last 4 games in all competitions including 4-2 and 3-0 wins at Burton and Southend respectively. Their only away defeat in 6 games on the road came in a cup game at Brighton.
- Portsmouth have won 4 games in all competitions from their last 15 matches. These followed a sequence of 27 games where 21 resulted in wins.

18.30 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

O'Connor sees the keeper off his line and has an audacious attempt at goal that is just wide.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Portsmouth: Marquis

GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Portsmouth: Jacobs

Oliver has a fantastic chance to get one back but his free header from a good Graham cross just misses the bar.

Samuel holds the ball up well, finds Graham but he doesn't get the curl he wanted and the ball goes just wide of the post.

Portsmouth strike the post.

19.16 Half time 0-2
The last 4 occasions in which the Gills have been 0-2 down at half time, they have failed to score in 3 of them and scored 1 goal whilst the opposition added a further 4 goals. The last time the Gills salvaged something from the game was a 2-2 draw with Wycombe (Dec 2018).

The second half kicks off.

Portsmouth attack and have to score. Bonham saves and is grounded on the floor for the follow-up into the empty net but somehow Drysdale puts his body on the line and blocks a certain third.

Another long range effort from O'Connor is deflected for the first of a series of corners for the Gills. The latter was inches away from being an away goal.

With space in the box, Marquis is allowed a free header but he puts the ball wide of the post.

It should be 3 (again) for Portsmouth but Bonham pulls out a great save.

A scramble in the box leads to three chances for the visitors which are dealt with through another good Bonham save and a Drysdale block. Eventually a foul is given the Gills way.

20.21 FULL TIME 0-2

Attendance: 0 (0)
Position: 12th
Referee: David Rock
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtJBi-m-WWA
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54519086
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 20 Oct 20 ] GILLS v Portsmouth Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:23 am

I can understand Saturday games being played of an early afternoon, no need to pay the electric bill for flood lights etc, but playing today, a Tuesday, shows me the games being sold on the internet can not possibly be making very much money, after all apart from retired people and of course school teachers, who the hell can watch a game starting at 12.30 on a Tuesday afternoon ?
I find it hard not to be able to understand why a ground like Gillingham that can seat 11,000 can't allow say two thousand or twenty five hundred " previous season ticket holders" in to watch a game, at least there would be some income coming into coffers and I assume a season ticket holder were be sensible enough to wear a mask and not to push and shove at the turnstiles getting in and out of the ground.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm

I missed the start. It is a bit early but clubs are saying it allows opposition players to get back home a bit earlier but that seems a bit poor really. As for social distancing, your view is very much that of everyone in football and will now be debated in patrliament.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 pm

Another one shot on goal game for Gillingham who seemed to waste a lot of chances , and with Fleetwood, Ipswich and Sunderland just around the corner I think Mr Evans is going to regret not bringing two good old fashioned goal scoring inside forwards into the squad instead of midfield players, but what do I know ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 pm

Its hard to criticise of how things have gone under Evans but last season he brought in wide players like Graham, Roberts and Willock but played the diamond. He brought in Samuel and now is playing a 3 up front leaving us short in midfield when we have an abundance of midfield players. That I don't get as it is overwhelming what is quite a fragile and young defence.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:47 pm

When I win the lottery this weekend and buy the team, next season we will be playing, four defenders, three midfielders ,one will be a 6ft 6 in tall center half who knows how to hold the ball and with two speedy wingers who know how to cross the ball to a 6ft 6 in tall center forward and two inside forwards who know how to kick the loose balls at the damn goal.
I just can not in a million years imagine how in 90 minutes, Gillingham can only kick the ball at the goal and force the keeper to make a save more than ONCE in the entire game, it just doesn't seem possible,or am I missing something ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:00 pm

A disappointing result.We seemed better in the second half,but the damage was done in the space of two goals in four minutes.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions