[ 12 Sep 20 ] GILLS v Hull City Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
100%
Christian Maghoma
No votes
Zech Medley
No votes
Robbie McKenzie
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Jacob Meillis (1)
No votes
Kyle Dempsey (3)
No votes
Jordan Graham
No votes
Trae Coyle (2)
No votes
John Akinde
No votes
(1) Scott Robertson
No votes
(2) Vadaine Oliver
No votes
(3) Matty Willock
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 12 Sep 20 ] GILLS v Hull City Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:43 pm

- The Gills have only met Hull City on 14 occasions with the last meeting coming back in February 1985 in the old 3rd division, a 1-0 home win for the Gills. Hull won the meeting before at Priestfield, their last win there, in September 1983.
- The Gills have won 6 of the meetings whilst Hull have won 4. Hull have won twice at Priestfield but lost on 5 visits. All 5 of the Gills home wins against Hull have been with a clean sheet.
- In the 14 games between the sides, a clean sheet has been kept on 13 occasions. Just 3 of the matches saw both sides score.
- After 9 wins in 15 games lasts season, Hull have since gone 23 games with only 1 win. 18 of those 23 games resulted in defeats including all of their final 6 games last season.
- Hull have lost their last 2 league games by an aggregate scoreline of 0-11. They are looking for their first league away win in 10 (8 defeats).

15.00 Kick Off [ 4 - 4 - 2 ]
Hull start with Alfie Jones on the bench, no Tom Eaves due to injury and no Da Silva Lopes who has moved on. McKenzie features against the club he left in the summer thanks to Jackson's suspension.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Hull City: Lewis-Potter

Akinde charges into the box and with a good chance to score, albeit from a tight angle, finds Ingram stand strong and stop the ball between his legs and hands by the goal-line.

Medley slips and allows a Hull attack. The ball is backheeled to the attacker who instead of shooting, takes a touch and the Gills clear.

15.46 Half time (46:06)
Hull lead at half time in 5 of their away league games last season, the same number as promoted Fulham and only 2 fewer than Champions Leeds. Whilst Fulham and Leeds won 11 of the 12 games combined, Hull only won 2 of their 5 when leading at the break.

The second half kicks off. The Gills make two changes at the break.

Graham free kick scythes through several players before being hacked high into the Rainham End. The corner tests the defence before Ingram has to flick the ball away from under his crossbar.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Hull City: Magennis

Bonham plays sweeper and fails to stop a Hull attack; the ball is squared into the box with Bonham nowhere near and the shot is blocked by a Gills defender with an otherwise empty goal to aim at.

16.54 FULL TIME 0-2 (96:26)

Attendance: 0 (0)
Position: 21st
Referee: Andy Woolmer
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USclGglghCI
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54038002
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 12 Sep 20 ] GILLS v Hull City Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:07 pm

NINETY MINUTES and ONE shot on goal, amazing non of our 163 midfield players knew how to kick a ball at the thing they call a goal, going to be one ******* long season with only three recognized forwards and a kid from Scotland who doesn't speak English on the books as our goal scorers.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:03 am

I m now old and my memory is poor - but surely we have been here before ?
Rimshot

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 am

A disappointing start to our league season.seemed like we wasn’t at it,and Hull took their chances.We need that different type of striker in as Akinde,and Oliver are similar strikers.Hopefully we will get one in before Wigan.I won’t worry though because of the defeat,as you have a good idea where you are after ten games.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am

Excluding Cup games, the next ten league games have some pretty tough match ups with the likes of Blackpool and Oxford coming up and ending with Ipswich and Sunderland, I hope we come out with more than 12 or 13 points from a possible 30, but I have my doubts if we don't bring in a true goalscorer, and where do you find one of those between now and the transfer window closing in early October ?
Most teams will have only played 3 or 4 league games by then so it's not like you can find a team in say the Second Division rooted mid table with a goal scorer and no defense going no where , maybe we will be able to find that player in the New Year.
I really can not understand why Evans is obsessed with bringing in midfield players ,it's almost seems because of the Coronavirus, Scally and Evans have decided that all we need to do is stay in the First Division , were not going to make a profit this year, so if we did get promoted we would not have any money to spend on players, maybe that train of thought is right, make sure we stay mid table during this crazy season and start again in the 2021/22 season .
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions