2020/21 Pre-season friendlies

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

2020/21 Pre-season friendlies

Postby Garawa » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Colchester United 0-2 Gillingham

O'Keefe and Ogilvie scored the first goals since the season prematurely ended in mid-March. Roberts hits the post from a free kick.

Gills first half XI: Bonham, Jackson, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Willock, Mellis, Coyle, Hanlan, Oliver.
Gills second half XI: Bonham (Walsh), Jackson (Baker 81), Tucker, Medley (Nelson 89), Ogilvie, O’Keefe (Medhurst 81), Woods, MacDonald, Graham, Hanlan (Bancroft 72), Akinde 46.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: 2020/21 Pre-season friendlies

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Watford 1-3 Gillingham

A goal for Roberts after just 2 minutes gave the Gills the lead before Watford equalised. Goals from Willock and Akinde then gave the Gills a 3-1 lead at the break. Mellis came close to making it 4 but the young Gills side at the end of the match put their bodies on the line to stop Watford scoring again.

Gills first half XI: Bonham, Jackson, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie, Macdonald, Willock, Dempsey, Graham, Hanlan, Akinde.
Gills second half XI: Bonham (Walsh), Baker, Tucker (Medhurst), Mellis, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Willock (Lintott), Woods, Graham (Bancroft), Coyle, Akinde (Baker-Moran).

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Reading 2-1 Gillingham

Reading are fielding a very strong side in their first preseason game which is being played as 3 x half hour matches. Reading take the lead on 21 minutes from a header direct from a corner. Within a minute, a rash challenge on the edge of the centre circle saw the Reading attacker jump the tackle and run at Bonham, slotting underneath the Gills keeper for number 2. The first third ends 2-0 to the hosts.
On 33 minutes (in the second third) a blistering drive of a free kick was powerfully palmed over the bar to stop Reading scoring a third. Akinde is fouled in the box and converts the penalty on the 51st minute. The second third ends with the score at 1-2.
The Gills go with an attacking line-up in the final third adding Graham and Oliver to the side with Hanlan and Akinde. Graham makes a big impact causing the Reading right a lot of problems whilst also sliding in with challenges in the left back position. It is Reading with the clearest shot which requires a point blank save from Bonham. 81 minutes and the Gills have their best chance of the match. A shot by Ogilvie was paried by the keeper but Oliver fired the follow up wide across the face of goal. The game ends 1-2.

Gills first third XI: Bonham, Jackson, Medley, McKenzie, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Mellis, Dempsey, MacDonald, Hanlan, Akinde.
Gills second third XI: Bonham, Jackson, Medley, McKenzie, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Mellis, Dempsey, MacDonald, Hanlan, Akinde.
Gills second third XI: Bonham, Jackson, Tucker, Medley, Ogilvie, O'Keefe, Dempsey, Graham, Oliver, Hanlan (Woods) Akinde.

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:26 pm

Gillingham 0-0 Cambridge United

Gills start 3 at the back with Jackson and Ogilvie as wingbacks. An even first third to the match in very strong winds saw little chances but it was Cambridge on 22 minutes which went closest, somehow putting the ball wide. A couple of minutes later a good free kick was held comfortably by Bonham. On 37 minutes, a corner was headed across the goal before another header needed Bonham to tip it over the bar by millimetres and a couple of minutes later drills a shot right to left narrowly missing the far post. Gills go closest; new-boy Coyle has the ball in the net at the Town end but is given offside. Half-time 0-0.
Cambridge start the second half how they finished the first winning a series of corners. The wind is now very strong and the corner flag is at a 45 degree angle. Cambridge threaten a couple of times more but the game ends 0-0.

Gills first half XI: Bonham, Tucker, Medley, McKenzie, Jackson, Ogilvie, Willock, Dempsey, Graham, Coyle, Oliver.
Gills second half XI: Bonham, Tucker, Medley, McKenzie, Jackson, O'Keefe, Willock (Mellis), Dempsey (Woods), Graham (MacDonald), Coyle (Hanlan), Oliver (Akinde).

Garawa

Postby sotongill » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Garawa wrote:Gillingham 0-0 Colchester United

Definitely Cambridge Gary , not Colchester .

Glad i was able to watch this via You_Tube , but could have done with more than 55mins notice , and the game kicking off two minutes early as 12.58 .

Around 1850 watching at the peak and , whilst not all were Gills or Cambridge fans , surprised that this is a potential money making route not being exploited
sotongill

Postby Garawa » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:39 pm

I agree. Hopefully the iFollow will be a good earner but I hope not too much as could this mean fans in the ground become less desirable? I was going to promote it but little point as most wouldn't have seen it.

As for Colchester, no idea why I put that when I wrote Cambridge on everything else. I'll edit that now.

Garawa

Postby sotongill » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Well . the good news from my perspective is that all EFL games plus round one of the Carabao cup are available to stream at £10 a go , until fans are allowed back in - looks as if this will be free to season ticket holders , but not the cup game .

I'd love it if the club could offer a home and away season ticket via Ifollow - understand the concerns about attendances , but with a five hour round trip to a home game , i rarely go , so prefer to live stream
sotongill

Postby Garawa » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:42 am

The £10 price is a bit annoying though. A season ticket works out at under £15 a game so each match price is only a few pounds less. Along with many others, I haven't had the opportunity to purchase a ticket yet so the free option won't apply for many. Its all very confusing!

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:40 pm

It's Gillingham FC of course it's complicated and confusing. Scally better hope the Gills get off to a good start because if they don't I could see a lot of people NOT bothering to go to games after the stadium opens.
gillsfan1066

Postby sotongill » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Garawa wrote:The £10 price is a bit annoying though. A season ticket works out at under £15 a game so each match price is only a few pounds less. Along with many others, I haven't had the opportunity to purchase a ticket yet so the free option won't apply for many. Its all very confusing!

Understood Gary . Just an option that works very well for me . Happy to pay a tenner , or indeed more , to watch the game from the comfort of the front room with a couple of beers .
sotongill

Next

Return to Match Discussions