[ 5 Jan 20 ] GILLS v West Ham Match Thread (FAC3)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Barry Fuller [3]
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Jack Tucker
33%
Alfie Jones
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Tom O'Connor [1]
No votes
Olly Lee
No votes
Brandon Hanlan
67%
Alex Jakubiak [2]
No votes
[1] Mark Marshall
No votes
[2] Regan Charles-Cook
No votes
[3] Mikael Ndjoli
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 5 Jan 20 ] GILLS v West Ham Match Thread (FAC3)

Postby Garawa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am

- All 8 of the Gills' home FA Cup Round 3 defeats have come 14 games against higher-league opposition. 31 goals had been conceded in those games and 5 games were won.
- This is the Gills 20th match at home in FA Cup Round 3. Their record against all opposition stands at 8 wins, 8 defeats, 30 goals scored and 37 goals conceded.
- After 6 season failing to reach Round 3, the Gills have reached the round in successive seasons. Last season's 4th round match was the first in 14 seasons.
- 6 of the Gills' last 7 FA Cup Round 3 ties have been against top-flight teams whilst only 1 (Accrington) has been against lower league sides: 2003/4 - Charlton (3-2), 2004/5 - Portsmouth (0-1), 2008/9 - Aston Villa (1-2), 2009/10 - Accrington (0-1), 2011/12 - Stoke (1-3), 2018/19 - Cardiff (1-0), 2019/20 - West Ham (?).
- The Gills have met West Ham only once in all cup competitions. The last saw the 2 sides meet in the FA Cup qualifying round in 1900/01 when a 1-1 draw saw the Gills exit 1-4 in the replay.
- The Gills last met West Ham in a competitive match in the 2004/5 season when West Ham ran out winners in both league matches. The season before saw the last win, a 2-0 home win in September 2003.
- West Ham's previous cup game was back in September when they travelled to another League 1 side - Oxford - and lost 4-0. It was the start of Manuel Pellegrini's final 14 matches in charge which delivered 2 wins and 10 defeats.
- 4 of West Ham's 7 wins this season have come away from home. Their last 3 wins have come in 7 games, including 1-0 wins at Southampton & Chelsea, and their last match was a 4-0 win at home to Bournemouth.

18.18 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]
West Ham line up: Fabianski, Diop, Balbuena, Ogbonna, Rice, Fredericks (Zabaleta), Snodgrass (Fornals), Lanzini, Masuaku, Haller, Felipe Anderson (C. Sanchez).

The Gills manage their 4th corner already and are playing the better football.

19.06 Half time 0-0

The second half kicks off.

West Ham hit the post.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 West Ham: Zabaletta

Hanlan blasts a shot off the underside of the bar but is offside.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 West Ham: Fornals

20.12 FULL TIME 0-2

Attendance: 10,913
Referee: Andy Madley
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ozo-s-iso
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50976235
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 5 Jan 20 ] GILLS v West Ham Match Thread (FAC3)

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Had to get a dam new Manager this week didn't they, hopefully they will play a large portion of the reserve squad and we know how well those guys play just by looking at the results in that Carrot Boot Cup thing, don't we?
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:19 pm

Shame , the Gills played well, just a bit outclassed. We need a 6ft 8in center forward. Well done The Gills, and well done the 9,000 fans that turned up ro watch.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Definitely the better side but the class told in the end.

Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm

So I finally caved in and went to my first Gills match under Evans. I still dislike the man, but from a purely football point of view I have to admit to being impressed. The first half was excellent from Gills; West Ham didn't know what hit them as we won corner after corner. If they hadn't had three giants playing for them at the back; I really think they need to be tested to make sure they are actual humans, I think we could easily have been in the lead at half time. West Ham made changes at half time and took more control, but even so Gills stood firm until 75 minutes had gone. I was impressed by all the Gills players and also the crowd, the atmosphere was superb. The only sour note was caused by the West Ham fans in the Medway stand gloating and goading the Gills fans. Why do Gills always sell that top part at the end to away fans, and how did I end up sitting next to WH fans in the bottom tier? I thought there were measures in place to stop that?
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:52 pm

There are many locals who support West Ham, Millwall and Charlton etc. They only need to buy 1 ticket to a Gills match at some point in their life and they are on the Gills database as someone who attends home games. They then turn up as an away supporter. I've been to Faversham and many Gills fans to Chatham so that would work the same way. I don't see how the club get round it. Perhaps have a paid club membership which secures a ticket for the really big games, which fans of other clubs would be unlikely to buy, but this would have to be cheap and therefore no issue for locals to get anyway.

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:42 pm

I thought the players did the club proud.We gave it a great go.West Ham were poor by their standards in the first half.All that was missing was a goal for us,but West Ham were a completely different side in the second half.Zabaletta came on and had so much freedom,and he was the manwho opened the scoring.We were right in the game still until the end.A very late second goal made it look comfortable,but that was with us chasing an equaliser deep into stoppage time.It was great to see Priestfield looking packed,if only we had more nights like that.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:39 am

Looking at this game from a million miles away ,the Gills played fast and furious and gave the 6,000 fans that have not been to a game since we were at Wembley a great night out, well done the players, you did us proud.
In saying that he difference in skill levels really comes through, and of course it does , players from West Ham are earning 100,000 a week, Gills players earning 4,000 quid a week. Mercedes 500 v Honda Jazz or whatever there called. Whenever a West Ham player got the ball there was almost always 3 or 4 teammates standing in half an acre of space waiting for a pass, when a Gillingham player got the ball it was almost like an old Charlie Chaplin movie, players all running in the same direction almost falling over each other , no real center half slowing the game down,waiting for players to find space, although I did like the way we used the wings, there was some good balls played out to the sidelines especially in the first half. We just looked like we had 20 players on the pitch with no open space for anyone at times .
We had plenty of corners alright but putting the ball up in the air into the West Ham 18 yard box was a bit of a waste of time, the Gills players only came up to the West Ham defenders shoulders, so West Ham just about cleared every corner we had quiet easily. I was kind of amazed we didn't start taking short corners ,but hey what do I know.
Someone call Peter Crouch and sign him up to stand on the center circle ,jog forward to the penalty spot and nod us in a couple each game. I thought Lee was a very greedy player I understand he wants to be in the action but snatching ball off team mate when ever we got a free kick seemed a bit over the top. Just my thought I am sure.
The second goal was inevitable with a couple of minutes left when you have 10 players pushing forward ,that goal didn't matter,Gills put on a great show for the fans, and if we were in the Championship Division sitting in the top ten and playing say West Brom or Fulham , Forrest or QPR, I am sure we would have 10,000 bums in the seats, playing Accrington ,or Shrewsbury doesn't quiet seem to have the same pulling power does it ?
Well done the Big Blue Machine, now lets concentrate on getting up into the top ten, and pushing for a play off place in May.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions