[ 23 Nov 19 ] AFC Wimbledon v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:10 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Barry Fuller [3]
No votes
Alfie Jones
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe [1]
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Olly Lee [2]
No votes
Mikael Mandron
No votes
Brandon Hanlan
No votes
[1] Tom O'Connor
No votes
[2] Mark Marshall
No votes
[3] Ben Pringle
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 23 Nov 19 ] AFC Wimbledon v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:31 am

- AFC Wimbledon have won 4 matches this season and all came in successive league and cup matches! Before them, they started the season with no wins in 13 (9 defeats) and, following them, they are winless in 6 (4 defeats).
- Despite just 4 wins in 23 games, AFC Wimbledon are unbeaten in 5 at home in all competitions: Doncaster (FA Cup) 1-1, Lincoln 1-1, Portsmouth 1-0, Leyton Orient (EFL Trophy) 3-0 and Rochdale 3-2.
- AFC Wimbledon have lost 8 of their 9 league matches away from this season but have lost once in 7 home league games (and are unbeaten in 3).
- AFC Wimbledon have given away 113 corners and the joint highest in the division along with MK Dons. It is 38 more than the total given away by the Gills.
- AFC Wimbledon have conceded 17 second half league goals compared with the Gills' 6. Half of all of their league goals have been conceded in their final third of games.
- AFC Wimbledon's last 20 minutes of league games have seen 15 goals in total (5 scored and 10 conceded) whilst the Gills have seen just 6 (5 scored and 1 conceded).

15.00 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

GOAL! AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Gillingham: Wagstaff
AFC Wimbledon have scored first an impressive 10 times in the league this season. However, 4 of those games have ended in defeat. No side has lost more games after scoring first (5 sides have lost 2 games, the next worse totals).

AFC Wimbledon's touch off the defender trickles past the 'keeper with Hanlan chasing but it narrowly misses the post and out for a corner.

15.51 Half time: 0-0
When leading at half time in the league, AFC Wimbledon have ended up winning 2, drawing 2 and losing 2 games. Those games played at home ended in 1 win and 2 draws. No home League 1 sides have lost yet this season after leading at the break.

The second half kicks off.

Olly Lee is blantantly pushed in the back in the penalty area but nothing is given. No card is given for simulation either.

The ball loops off of Fuller and onto the top of the crossbar.

Hanlan has a good chance but puts it wide.

Hanlan drills a shot across goal and wide.

The Gills have another strong penalty shout waved away.

Ben Pringle comes on as a substitute.

AFC Wimbledon deflect the ball out for corner but the ref awards a goal kick.

Red Card! Pringle is sent off after the Gills players protest about not being awarded a corner.

16.58 FULL TIME: 1-0

Attendance: 4,554 (645)
Position: 15th
Referee: Kevin Johnson
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdewYXapPZ0
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50442859
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 23 Nov 19 ] AFC Wimbledon v GILLS Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Nineteen minutes and were down one -nil, hell have I got to do everything for this guy garawa, even do his updates, Gillsfan in Chicago needs to know you know ?
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Hang on in there Gillingham ,your going to level this up before half time if you keep applying this much pressure, then win it in the second half 2-1.
OH he is back with another exciting first half commentary, thanks buddy who need the scrolls when you can give such an exciting blow by blow account of the game, hahaha. COME ON YOU GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Looked like we need a goal scorer REAL bad, isn't there anyone in that 50 man midfield squad that could be turned into a goal scorer ? More lost point and down the table we tumble, come on Scally get this show organised, this is all becoming very very repetitive, year after year the same crap being dished up, just under a different manager.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:15 pm

I only saw the result,but reading online we didn’t take our chances,and the ref gave us nothing.Hopefully we can start taking more of our chances.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 am

We do need the poacher, the tap-in from 3 yards sort of player. Lots of trickery and creativity with Hanlan and Jakubiak but neither are the finisher. That is meant to Mandron but he is more the strength and head in from height type and I don't see him getting much more than 10 goals. Hanlan and Jackubiak are the players to play wide in a 3 in my book, how we started the season before abandoning for the same blooming diamond Lovell used and now don't have the right players for.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 pm

I find it hard to understand how the manager and players are unable to change from one formation to another during the game, several times if necessary. I think the diamond formation is great when your feeling the other team out and you want to keep the ball in the first few minutes , or better still when your two or three goals up , but I swear there is NOTHING that scares a back four more than a winger in full stride going for the corner flag to put a cross in.
I watched the Man Utd game on Sunday, during the first half they were crap, no other word for it,they came out for the second half looking like they were Manchester City not Manchester United , going North /South instead of East /West, attacking down each wing they looked like world beaters. Their young players didn't seem to know you couldn't run at the opposing team, and they obviously missed the memo where they were not allowed to shoot and score.
Come on you Gills wake yourselves up, stop acting like the season is over and you have avoided relegation, ending up in 15th place in the table and being happy with it. It's been SEVEN YEARS since the fans had much to celebrate , so get your fingers out of your a**** and give us something to cheer about leading up to Christmas.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions