[ 22 Oct 19 ] Shrewsbury v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Jack Bonham
No votes
Tom O'Connor
No votes
Max Ehmer
50%
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Jack Tucker
50%
Alfie Jones
No votes
Stuart O'Keefe
No votes
Mark Marshall [3]
No votes
Regan Charles-Cook [1]
No votes
Alex Jakubiak [2]
No votes
Brandon Hanlan
No votes
[1] Olly Lee
No votes
[2] Mikael Ndjoli
No votes
[3] Lee Hodson
No votes

Total votes : 2

[ 22 Oct 19 ] Shrewsbury v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:02 am

- Shrewsbury lead the wins 25 to the Gills 19 and there have been 21 draws. The Gills have only won 1 of the last 13 meetings whilst the hosts have won 6.
- The Gills last win against Shrewsbury was in August 2016 when they won 3-2 away. The 5 games since home and away have seen 3 draws and 2 Shrewsbury wins meaning the Gills are unbeaten in 4 trips there (1 win).
- Shrewsbury have won all their home league games when they have scored (1-0 and 4-3). Their other 3 home games have seen blank sheets (0-0, 0-0 and 0-3).
- Shrewsbury have kept clean sheets in 3 of their last 4 league matches (all away from home) however, over those 4 games have seen them score just 1 goal.
- Just 23 goals have been scored in Shrewsbury's 12 league matches, the fewest in the division. They have featured in 4 0-0 scorelines already, more than any other League 1 side.

19.45 Kick Off [ 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 ]

After little of note in the match, a wayward Jakubiak shot leads to a Shrewsbury counter-attack and Bonham needs to produce a good save.

Penalty! The Gills have a penalty after Tom O'Connor is fouled in the box.

GOAL! Shrewsbury 0-1 Gillingham: O'Keefe (pen).
Shrewsbury had previously conceded first in 5 league games but only once at home which ended in defeat.

20.33 Half time 0-1 (48:38)
The Gills are leading at half time for only the second time in an away league game this season - the other was drawn. Gills league record when leading is 2-1-0. Shrewsbury are behind at half time for only the second time in a home league game this season - the other was lost. Town's league record when losing is 0-1-2.

The second half kicks off.

Regan Charles-Cook is fouled millimetres from being another penalty by a poor Beckles challenge. Beckles is on a yellow card but is a straight red offence. No card is shown and the free kick goes over.

GOAL! Shrewsbury 1-1 Gillingham: Beckles

Hanlan turns and shoots just clearing the bar. On target and its a goal.

21.39 FULL TIME 1-1 (97:47)

Attendance: 5,076 (186)
Position: 17th
Referee: Will Finnie
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILY0v2vVN3U
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50051037
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 22 Oct 19 ] Shrewsbury v GILLS Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Two teams with a total of seven wins between them on the season after playing 25 games, but with 5 draws each , Shrewsbury a team that can't score and Gillingham a team that ships more goals than they can score, so I am guessing another draw and a point each looks about the way this game is going to go .
Come on you Gills lets get this train rolling, BIG win by a couple of goals tonight, you owe the fans that.
gillsfan1066

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 am

About what I expected from a Gills team that seem to miss a true goal snoop around the box. I know a goal by a penalty is a goal no matter how it comes , but I sure hope we can go and find a true goal scorer when the Winter Transfer Period opens,or it is going to be a long cold winter. We tie a match , get a point, and drop a place in the table , what the hell ?
It's amazing to think that after 14 games we only have two more wins than the bottom two clubs ,who should by all accounts be dead and buried , then you look again and find were only two wins short of Blackpool who are only a point outside a promotion place.
A loss this weekend and wins by the three or four teams below us and we would be one point off the drop zone, getting a point from games is all well and good but we ain't going nowhere, I just hope the glass is half full with a couple of wins and not half empty with a couple of losses.
I know I expected a lot more out of the Gills by this time in the season, they have an experienced manager (love him or hate him it doesn't matter) he had an open check book from Scally to pay new players of his own choosing , the players themselves have had plenty of time to get to know each other , so where the hell is it all going wrong, why haven't we had those extra two wins and be sitting on 21 points in 8th place, instead of staring down and seeing the drop zone ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm

Another point on the road,but was hoping we would pick up our first away win.We got in front with O’Keefe’s penalty,but the second half they equalise and we were hanging on.Will take the point,but we don’t want the away games to be a problem.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions