[ 4 Apr 19 ] Blackpool v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat May 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Tomas Holy
No votes
Bradley Garmston
33%
Max Ehmer
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Barry Fuller
No votes
Darren Oldaker [1]
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Leo da Silva Lopes
No votes
Regan Charles-Cook
No votes
Brandon Hanlan
No votes
Tom Eaves [2]
67%
[1] Callum Reilly
No votes
[2] Elliott List
No votes

Total votes : 3

[ 4 Apr 19 ] Blackpool v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:08 pm

- Blackpool have won 15 of the meetings whilst the Gills have won 10. The Gills are winless in 4 against Blackpool. They have scored just 1 goal in those 4 meetings and have lost 3 of them.
- The Gills are winless in 12 league and cup trips to Blackpool and last won there in April 1987. Their match sequence in those 12 visits are: D, L, D, D, D, D, L, L, L, L, L, D.
- Blackpool have won 2 of their last 10 league matches whilst the Gills have won 3 however, the Gills have lost 4 of those 10 compared to Blackpool's 3.
- Since winning 6 of their first 11 home league matches, Blackpool have since only won 2 out of 11 (the latest in their previous home game). The Gills have won 1 fewer home game and have won 3 of their last 11 at home.
- The Gills are looking for their 6th win in 14 away games. A win would see them match last season's away record of 8 wins, 6 draws and 9 defeats. Excluding the promotion seasons, the last season to see more away wins was 1984/5 (10).
- Despite failing to score in the first halves of 31 of their 45 league games, the Gills have managed 21 goals then. Blackpool have scored the least amount of first half goals (17) in the division and have scored 8 fewer than the Gills in total.

17.32 Kick Off [ 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ]

GOAL! Blackpool 0-1 Gillingham: Hanlan

Barry Fuller clears off the line.

GOAL! Blackpool 0-2 Gillingham: Eaves

GOAL! Blackpool 0-3 Gillingham: Eaves

18.18 Half time 0-3
Both sides have only lost once in the league when scoring first. The Gills have won 11 from 14 games whilst Blackpool have won 14 from 19.

The second half kicks off.

Blackpool have the ball in the net but it is offside.

19.22 FULL TIME 0-3

Attendance: 9,571 (503)
Position: 13th
Referee: Ollie Yates
Match highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVpD4Jw4CUY
BBC Match Report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48074725
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 4 Apr 19 ] Blackpool v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 pm

I’m travelling up tonight,and staying until Sunday evening.Love my trips to Blackpool,but this will be my first time at their Stadium.Should be a good 500 Gills fans coming up.Hoping we can get a result with the pressure off.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:45 am

Thats great, 500 traveling to Blackpool for a meaningless game at the end of the season, but I always hear it's too expensive to go to home games thats why we get such a poor gate each week ?
I can understand making a weekend of it, thats always fun , and I guess the supporters club or someone rents a train for the journey with a bar and restaurant car ,I hope not a charabanc that must must take about 6 hours each way ?.
I would love to know how many people went to say Burton or Peterborough this year for games that actually meant something ?? Everyone have a great day out in Blackpool ,GO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby sotongill » Mon May 06, 2019 4:52 pm

Hi Gillsfan . Just to fill in some bits for you , we took more to Peterborough (544) and less to Burton (278) . But not everyone who goes to an away game comes from Kent - a friend who lives near Preston would have been at Blackpool , and Cadburyman was at Burton , as he lives 20 mins down the road . Of those that travel from Kent , I think it's correct to say that most go to nearly every home game as well . Final away game of the season is always well attended , and the lure of a long bank holiday weekend at a seaside resort would have attracted a few more . For the size of club , we've always had a strong away following .

Sorry to disappoint you , but no special train - can only ever remember that happening when we played away at Everton in the cup early '80s . Some will have used the normal train network , but it can be very expensive if you don't book way in advance . The club would have laid on a coach/coaches , and the independent supporters club may well have provided one . Alcohol is not allowed on any football coaches , since the '80s . And probably seven hours rather than six to get there - the club coach left at 8.30 for a 17.30 kick off . The FOM blog should give you the exact length of the journey . But fair play to those that did make the journey , and a fantastic result to end the season .
sotongill

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Bank Holiday ,what was that for, I thought you had a Bank Holiday after Easter Sunday, lol ? Thanks for the info, I find it all a bit strange that grown adults in England are not considered responsible enough to have a few beers on the way to a game.
Going to Chicago Fire games we have pub buses that go around the different areas picking up fans from the various bars, and everyone has a few bevies on the bus.
Yeah I can see going to Blackpool for the day, last day of the season, cod and chips , a footie game and a walk along the prom what more could anyone ask for, lol?
What I could not understand that after a 0-2 loss to Charlton, the team stayed on the pitch to thank the fans for another season of narrowly escaping relegation AGAIN, did they get eggs thrown at them ?
gillsfan1066

Postby sotongill » Mon May 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Bank holidays all come at once over here , especially when it's a late Easter . It's the May Day holiday today , with the Whitsun one at the end of the month . Of course , if you've retired like me , then they make no difference .

Booze is less of a sin than it was , and you can usually get a drink inside a ground , though not strong beer/lager - you get that outside in local pubs before you go in . Alcohol on supporters coaches is still a No .
sotongill

Postby Garawa » Tue May 07, 2019 9:42 pm

Football supporters cannot be trusted to have a drink inside the ground as they may get tipsy and get a bit daft. This was proved in the 1980s by all the hooliganism that occurred by people outside the ground without a ticket and no intention of watching the match. Instead, supporters now get completely twatted before the match and enter drunk. These same fans in the close season will attend cricket matches where they are allowed to drink whatever they like because they are now no longer watching football but rather a different sport.

Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:33 pm

As opposed to those of us who will be playing cricket whilst having a drink or two and then wondering why we can't catch the ball when it comes to us!
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 pm

What a great way to finish the season.No one would have predicted us to be 0-3 up by half-time.Great finishes from Eaves,and Hanlan.There was a party atmosphere in the Gills end all game.Blackpool improved in the second half,and had two shots cleared off the line,and then a goal disallowed too.A great trip to Blackpool,and a great way to finish the season.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Thu May 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Or Lidbid, how heading the ball is now a lot easier and far more painful.

Garawa

Return to Match Discussions