[ 25 Nov 17 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Tomas Holy
No votes
Sean Clare
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Gabriel Zakuani
No votes
Luke O'Neill
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Josh Parker
No votes
Lee Martin
No votes
Conor Wilkinson
No votes
Tom Eaves
100%
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Elliott List
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 25 Nov 17 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 pm

- It is 3 wins and a draw in league away games but it is 3 draws and 2 defeats in league home games. The Gills are also looking for their first goal of the season in the first half of a home league match.
- Oldham have won the last 3 meetings and 6 of the last 9. The Gills have won 1 of those 9.
- Oldham edge the wins 24 to 17. Only 6 of the 47 meetings have ended in draws.
- The Gills have won only 2 of the last 8 home games against Oldham who have scored 7 goals in their last 3 visits. Oldham have won 4 of those last 8 visits.
- Oldham conceded 44 league goals (and had the joint 2nd highest clean sheets with 18) last season but have already conceded 36 before today, the most in League 1 (with just 1 clean sheet).
- Before today, the Gills had conceded 21 goals in the league. Oldham had conceded 21 goals in the league in just their second halves of the matches.
- After 4 home league games in a row (and 5 of their last 6 in all competitions at home) this is Oldham's first away league match since a 4-4 draw at MK Dons. They are unbeaten in 3 away (1 win).
- Before and after Wellens took over at Oldham: League games before - 9. Wins - 1. Defeats - 7. All games after - 12. Wins - 7. Defeats - 2.
Before and after Lovell took over at the Gills: League games before - 12. Wins - 1. Defeats - 7. All games after - 9. Wins - 5. Defeats - 1.

15.01 Kick-Off [ 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 ]

Game stops for 8 minutes due to a bad injury to Lee Martin (concussion from a ball hit at him).

The Oldham keeper is centimetres away from carrying the ball over the line.

15.56 Half-time 0-0 (55:37)

The second half kicks off.

Mark Byrne clears a shot off the line.

O'Neill has a free kick hit the underside of the bar and bounce off the line.

17.02 FULL-TIME 0-0 (103:42)

Attendance: 4,364 (229)
Position: 21st
Referee: Graham Horwood
Match Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gOJT2AnGc
BBC Match Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42034902
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 25 Nov 17 ] GILLS v Oldham Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

This is a scary time to be a GFC supporter, a win against Oldham and we could be in 15th place in the table, a loss and wins by the teams around us and we could be bottom of the table, wwwwooooo scary.
This weekend would be a good time to turn Priestfield into the fortress it needs to be, Gillingham have scored twice as many points away than at home, that needs to change this weekend, with four winable league home games between now and the start of 2018 we need to pick up max points, because January is what looks like the tough part of the season, Charlton, Scunny, and Wigan, three clubs fighting for those automatic promotion spots, all in 4 weeks of each other
A home win this weekend, slap Carlisle upside the head about 3-0 next weekend and then I think the players will start enjoying playing at home, it seems at the moment they prefer playing away games which is a shame. GGGGGGOOO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 pm

We`re back at home after two trips North.To get 4 points from two tough games is really pleasing,but hopefully we can get Lovell`s first league win at home.Oldham are much improved under Wellens,and are a bit of a bogey side for us.Hopefully we can keep the unbeaten run going.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Three points, three little points that really could mean so much to GFC available today, come on footie gods give us a break, lets take all 3 today GO GILLS.
gillsfan1066

Postby lidbid46 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:52 pm

It was my first game of the season, so accompanied by my son we set off in glorious sunshine, not sure what to expect. The first thing we encountered was ridiculous traffic along the New Road; the worst I can ever remember on the way to Gills. Was a massive crowd wending their way to the game? Turns out they weren't; must have been Christmas shopping. We arrived in time to meet Gary and FOM; it was good to see them, before forgetting how to get into the RE and ending up in the MS! Was it only May that I last went?!! By the way, great security from the turnstile guy, allowing us into the wrong stand! We eventually found our seats, having bought a programme so we could work out who all the Gills players were. The game began in the usual harem scarem fashion of a Gills match and I have to say it was an enjoyable match to watch. The effort from the Gills guys could not be faulted; at first viewing Eves looks like a good signing and Byrne was superb. I thought Wilkinson tried really hard but wasn't sure he was needed as he was doing the same things Eves was attempting. Holly has obviously become a firm favourite with the crowd, like many keepers before him, and pulled off some excellent saves and interceptions. By the way, I thought Oldham's keeper was also very good and it wa s largely due to both of them that there were no goals. I couldn't really find fault with any Gills player; Ogilvy perhaps didn't have his best game. Martin's injury was a complete freak and I hope he is OK now; it's not great seeing any player on the ground for 9 minutes. All in all, I'm glad I have now seen the guys live and I am more optimistic that we'll be ok if we keep fighting so hard for each other. Another thing I had forgotten is how blooming cold it gets in the RE; that wasn't just my age either; Joe regretted wearing canvas shoes as he couldn't feel his feet from about the tenth minute! The chips on the way home from Sturdee avenue were as good as ever; I'm sure it won't be that long before I rouse myself to doing it all over again!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 pm

WHAT, WHAT I say ,WHAT a story, and after reading that I realize two things, firstly just how over rated paragraphs are , and how much I miss dear Fanny Mulligans tales of the games, some of those 300 page books were just plain marvelous.
Your story of the chips was good, but really didn't come close to the tales of Fanny Mulligan and the hunting of the UK looking for 50 pence cans of cokes and polo mints, now those tales of mystery and intrigue, they compared with anything Willy Shakespeare or Charlie Dickens done writ.
Was anyone really surprised our intrepid travelers could not find their way into the Rainham End of the ground, I mean after all the ground is a big long rectangular thing and if your coming from Gillingham Town center your going to enter at the Gillingham end, and if your coming from the Rainham side of the ground you go in the gate at the Rainham End, but lets get serious were talking about a couple of explorers here that put Livingstone and Stanley to shame,two guys in Mr.L and young Master L who once missed the entire City of Oxford , the 52nd largest city in the UK with a population of over 170,000 people , with bloody great signs on the freeway that said OXFORD this exit ?
Amazing when you think people were surprised and upset that Livingstone could not find the source of the Nile , a piddle puddle in the middle of nowhere in a continent the size of Africa , jjjeeezz what a loser that guy was ?
Still all in all it sounded like you enjoyed the game, I hope your were cheering for the right team, we were the guys in blue you did realize that didn't you, and tell young Master L that loosing a toe or two to frost bite is something all the heroic explorers of the Poles experienced.
I think i once read something about loosing a toe just makes you walk in concentric circles until you disappear up your own bum, but I might have got that mixed up with going deaf in one ear.
Trust me my dear Mr. L , everyone one of us hopes you can rouse yourself to go again , not least of all that wonderful woman Mrs L , who mentioned to Mr. garawa at Mr Puddy Pal Noircats presentation evening, she would be overjoyed if you could rouse yourself just once every so often, let alone for a second time in one season , but she lives in hope and regularly prays the little blue pills will work at least once before the transfer market opens again in 2018.
Last edited by gillsfan1066 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I only saw the score,but it looks like an entertaining 0-0.I saw O`Neill had his late free kick tipped onto the bar.We keep the unbeaten run going,but with Rochdale winning we go back into the bottom 4.I wish Lee Martin a quick recovery to the Team after being unconscious yesterday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Were only in the cellar because of something i don't understand, we have the same number of points as two other teams and a win against Plymouth or is it Portsmouth in a couple of weeks and a loss by a couple of others and were up to 16th place, GGGGOOO BIG BLUE.
gillsfan1066

Postby lidbid46 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Next time you find your way home from the other side of the World; (do they have planes over there or do you have to hitch a ride with a kangaroo?), I'll treat you to a whole bag of chips from the chip shop. They really are good. I might even throw in a battered sausage; that's a tube of something filled with something else which is then taken round the back and beaten up by the way. I know that you guys only eat whitchety grubs and jangeroo bottoms because I've seen the documentary that's on at the moment with those natural historians called Ant and Dec, and those poor inhabitants on it are forced to eat insects after they've been covered in slime. Honestly, I can't understand why you choose to live there when you could live in the luxury of Gillingham and eat the Sturdee Road chip shop delicacies! No accounting for taste I suppose. Oh what; that's Australia, not America? I honestly thought they were the same place; isn't that nice Mr Trump the chieftain or something? I'll stick to exploring Oxford and Aldershot; much more civilised.
lidbid46

Postby bunburygills » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 am

Talk about weird tastes, the Scots, which are basically English, well they've got a couple of teams that are always trying to get in the English Premier League, have a favourite delicacy of fried battered Mars bars. I think witchetty grubs, crocodile and emus would be a lot healthier than that. I might add that Qantas was voted the safest airline in the world for many years. Shall we mention Australia's 10 wicket drubbing of the Poms last week or shall we leave that for another day?
bunburygills

Next

Return to Match Discussions