[ 8 Oct 17 ] GILLS v Portsmouth Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Tomas Holy
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Finn O'Mara
No votes
Ben Nugent
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Billy Bingham
No votes
Lee Martin
No votes
Josh Parker
No votes
Sean Clare
No votes
Conor Wilkinson
No votes
Jack Tucker
No votes
Elliott List
No votes
Darren Oldaker
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 8 Oct 17 ] GILLS v Portsmouth Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 pm

- The Gills have only beaten Portsmouth 6 times whilst the visitors have won 17. Another 7 ended as draws.
- The Gills last played Portsmouth in September 2005 (3-2 home win) and last in the league in 2002/3 (Portsmouth won both games).
- The Gills have given away the most corners in League 1 (82) and Portsmouth the fewest (42).
- Portsmouth ended last season unbeaten in their final 8 games and their record over the last 12 was Won 10, Drew 1, Lost 1. They've won 4 and lost 5 this season.
- The Gills (1) and Portsmouth (3) have only managed only 4 first half goals between them but have 17 in the second (5 and 12 respectively).
- The Gills haven't conceded a home goal in 233 minutes (the last was a 37th minute goal by Shrewsbury 2 and a half games ago).

14.31 Live Sky TV Kick-Off [ 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 ]

Jack Tucker makes his club debut after Nugent is injured.

15.19 Half-time 0-0 (47:58)

The second half kicks off.

Portsmouth hits the post.

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Portsmouth: Kennedy
Both sides have won all league games this season after scoring the first goal (1 for the Gills and 4 for Portsmouth).

Parker has a goal ruled out for offside.

16.24 FULL-TIME 0-1 (97:16)

Attendance: 8,163 (1,333)
Position: 23rd
Referee: Christopher Sarginson
Goal Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ3Fjv_fM6E&t=30s
BBC Match Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41457284
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 8 Oct 17 ] GILLS v Portsmouth Match Thread

Postby baronnight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:27 am

A thread bare defence and misfiring front line will leave us with a difficult task in front of the TV camera's, hopefully we can get the youngsters to rise to the occasion.
baronnight

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:04 pm

I didn`t expect to be able to go,but Gills kindly gave me two free tickets at Bluewater on Thursday.I will be taking my son to his second Gills game.Looking at the fixtures we`re the only game on TV in the UK tomorrow,so plenty will be watching the game.Hopefully we can play well and get a result.A result like Charlton at home would be brilliant.We have key players missing,but so do Portsmouth.It looks like they may only have one available regular defender tomorrow!
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:49 am

I can hear the people of the UK laughing from here, 4 ,000 miles away, whats going on, hey people whats so funny,HEY whats so funny. WHAT ,WHAT, OK that guy in Fleetwood what,your saying Gillingham DID NOT MANAGE ONE SHOT ON GOAL,stop the laughing ,stop the laughing, I can't understand what your saying when your laughing like that. OK ,OK that guy in Shrewsbury can you stop laughing long enough to tell me what your saying, what, the experts all predicted you to go down and your where in the table ,I can't understand you just too much laughing going on ,one more try ,that guy in Blackpool, oh Gillingham looked like a team that should be playing in the Isthmian League, yeah yeah yeah ,up yours to ass hole.
Well done Mr. Scally, well done Mr Taylor and a real real BIG well done to each and every member of the team, YOU F'ING BUNCH OF LOSERS.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Well what a dreadful performance! My son enjoyed his day out,but we were shocking.We had key players missing,but we struggled to keep the ball,and apart from the offside goal created nothing.It looked like we had a clear penalty turned down when Clare was fouled,but not much else to get excited about.We looked like a side that will be going down in May.Positives were O`Mara making a league start,and young Tucker coming on for his debut.Lots of potential new fans were watching yesterday,but not many will want to come back on that performance.

Scally says another week before we hear about any new manager,but we need help and quick.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Well done Dad, glad you and your son had a great day out hopefully he won't remember the score just the size of the stadium, the green green grass, the players playing harder than anything we did at Arden St school and the speed the guys moved at. I remember my first game the night we turned the floodlights on for the first time and we thump Second Division Bury in what I assume was a cup game. Hanging on to those flood lights at the Rainham end on the north side of the ground, I remember our left winger racing towards the corner flag to try and cross the ball, big aaagghhh as he was fouled and I remember thinking maybe I will take up ping pong instead of footie, lol.
So how old is your son, oh OK , well twenty three is a good time to go to your second game , no age limits at GFC, , after all Mr. Lidbit still goes to games,they blow up his rubber ring so his hemorrhoids don't play up, and he sits and watches the full 90- minute's . OK admittedly he drops off from time to time BUT HE'S THERE and THATS what really counts, a TRUE BLUE GILLINGHAM FAN.
gillsfan1066

Postby lidbid46 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Mr Lidbid hasn't been to a game yet this season, but i did get to see the Gills on TV. First thing that shocked me was the empty seats everywhere. Obviously I'm not the only person who has stopped going for the time being. The reasons i gave up my ST came flooding back; no atmosphere, a depressing afternoon for all who were there and regardless of the result, a pretty awful game of football. I spent my Saturday afternoon watching Medway Rugby Club and saw more thrills and spills, passion and skill than I have seen at Gills for ages. The crowd may be smaller in number, but there is also more atmosphere as well. Added to that the fact it is free, I can take the dog and I walk from home and I am not sure how Gills will entice me back. Who was the young lad Tucker who came on? He seemed to have something about him. The rest looked no different from last season in terms of ability.
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Rugby, RUGBY, Mr. Lidbit what ever next ? I don't get the game ,never will I guess,so I spent my Sunday afternoon at the Womens Nude Wrestling Association Finals, great show AND ONLY 150 BUCKS TO GET IN, $25 FOR A BEER, AND 15 FOR A BAG OF SALT AND VINEGAR CHIPS,well worth it ,I got Annie "Big Guns" Slaughterhouse's autograph afterwards in the parking lot,just before she hip through onto the hood of me car.
If GFC do not get a REAL manager in place ASAP, I can see us being in the Fourth Division by Christmas.
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions