[ 16 Aug 17 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Tomas Holy
75%
Luke O'Neill
No votes
Alex Lacey
No votes
Ben Nugent
No votes
Gabriel Zakuani
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Sean Clare
No votes
Conor Wilkinson
No votes
Tom Eaves
25%
Josh Parker
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes

Total votes : 4

Re: [ 16 Aug 17 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:38 pm

For such a defensive formation (Ehmer in midfield) it was a very attacking game from both sides. Very enjoyable to watch and Holy made 2 decent stops at 0-0 and a fantastic double stop at 1-0. Shame the Charlton fans spoiled it by throwing 4 flares at Holy and the police (who did nothing).
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 am

OK which game were you at, Gillingham Ladies v Charlton Ladies ,it could not have been the game going on at Priestfield Road, where Charlton had 23 shots compared to Gillinghams 9,where they had 12 shots on target compared to Gills 5,and they had 8 corners compared to our 2 , and in what the BBC called a one sided affair with wave after wave of Charltons attacks, and praised Holy ,Holy,Holy for his superb heroics ?? By the way what was the score of the Ladies game ?
gillsfan1066

Postby baronnight » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:09 pm

The only stat that has any meaning is the final score, Gillingham 1 v 0 Charlton, yes Holy did need to pull off a couple of really good saves but unless they have changed the rules Holy is part of the team. Charlton had lots of possession I can't argue with that, but they failed to score, we on the other hand sliced them open with a good attacking move and finished the job.
baronnight

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Yes we earned three points mainly because the opposing team could not hit a barn door from 10 paces, well I guess if we play Charlton every week for the next three or four months and they play like they did yesterday ,then promotion is staring us in the face, but we don't, next week we have Rochdale a team with an almost identical record as ours, then Scunny and Blackburn Rovers to end the month ,if we come out of those three games with a win ,a draw and a loss I would be a happy camper, I fear we won't.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:31 pm

A much needed win! At first it looked like it might be a long afternoon as Charlton had a lot of the ball,and every time they came forward they looked like they might score.Ricky Holmes again the star man as he made things happen for Charlton all afternoon.Holy made a decent save in the first half,but we had the ball in the net in the first half when Clare`s free kick hit the ball,but Zakuani was offside when he headed the ball in from the rebound.We grabbed the winning goal early into the second half through a well worked goal which Eaves slotted home.The atmosphere got better,and Charlton forced Holy into 4-5 decent saves in the second half.An idiot Charlton fan who I read lives close to me set off a few smoke bombs to delay the game,so we ended up playing 105 minutes when you add on injuries too.Charlton threw everything at us,but we stood firm as a Team to record a massive win! They created much more than us,but the hard work was rewarded.Holy MOTM for us with some stunning saves.Our last win against Charlton in the league was 88 years ago,but the most recent win before was in the FA Cup which another keeper Bossu produced some fantastic saves.

The win lifts a little pressure off Pennock,but we have to build on this win at Rochdale on Saturday now.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am

Most of Charlton's shots stats involved ones that simply trickled to Holy. Even I could save it. It's still a shot on target but one off target might be more dangerous (deflection etc). 3 came within 2 seconds for a great triple save so the stats don't tell the tale of the match.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 am

So if stats mean so little why are you bothering to put up all manner of stats to each game ??
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

I haven't posted any stats about any of the matches only some collective facts which over the course of a season tell a LOT more a single match could. For example there were only 3 shots on target in the game between Doncaster and Scunthorpe (who won 1-0). That doesn't mean the game was boring or that both sides are useless in front of goal because Scunny actually average almost 6 on target per game. Likewise with Charlton, just because they had a large number of shots in the game, doesn't mean they were all over us.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Well you beloved BBC Football site wrote and I quote.................The Home side (thats Gillingham FC) weathered wave after wave of pressure in the first half to take an unexpected lead on 53 minutes", I just tell it as I read it.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am

For goodness sake man we won the game
CadburyMan

PreviousNext

Return to Match Discussions