[ 16 Aug 17 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Tomas Holy
75%
Luke O'Neill
No votes
Alex Lacey
No votes
Ben Nugent
No votes
Gabriel Zakuani
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Sean Clare
No votes
Conor Wilkinson
No votes
Tom Eaves
25%
Josh Parker
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Connor Ogilvie
No votes

Total votes : 4

[ 16 Aug 17 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 pm

- The 30 meetings with Charlton, have only seen 4 Gills wins. The last came back in Jan 2004 before 3 draws and a Charlton win.
- In 84 years the Gills have only won once against Charlton in 14 attempts, losing 6 in a row before it. It has been 88 years since the last win occurred in the league.
- The last 3 games at home against Charlton have ended 1-1 (2016), 1-1 (2009) and 3-2 (2004) with goals from Johnson, Sidibe and Smith.
- After 1 league win in 14 (and 9 league wins in 38) Charlton have since won 9 out of 12. The Gills haven't won in the league in 11 games.
- Charlton have only won 3 of their last 12 away league games however 2 of those have come in their last 2 on the road.
- Despite having lost 2 games to the Gills' 4, Charlton have conceded 10 league goals - only 1 fewer than the Gills.

15.02 Kick-Off [ 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 ]

Clare free kick hits the bar and the follow-up from Zakuani is ruled out for offside.

15.54 Half-time 0-0 (51:06)
The Gills had previously been losing at half-time in their last 3 home league games and the last 10 at half-time have seen just 1 goal scored.

The second half kicks off.

GOAL! Gillingham 1-0 Charlton: Eaves
The Gills open the scoring in a league game for the first time this season. Charlton are 1 of 3 sides to have done so 5 times (5 wins).

Mark Byrne clears off the line!

17.05 FULL-TIME 1-0 (105:13)
The Gills pick up their first league win in 11 games. The last came in the 90th minute back in April (Bristol Rovers).

Attendance: 7,216 (2,358)
Position: 20th
Referee: Graham Salisbury
Goal Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LA1kmRpuw
BBC Match Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41209861
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 16 Aug 17 ] GILLS v Charlton Match Thread

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

Think you should leave the page just like it is, blank. Surly this MUST be Pillocks last chance to keep his job at GFC, a loss this weekend and he must be GONE.
Come on GILLINGHAM, kick Charltons ass all over the pitch, this is the week you can prove to the football world that your not the bunch of losers everyone thinks you are , lets have a win and lift ourselves off the bottom of the table, PLEASE.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Well it`s the game most look out for each season with Charlton in the division,but there is a lack of excitement around the club with things going on off the field,and our poor results.Looking on the online Ticket sales earlier there was plenty of seats in our three sides of the ground.Charlton have sold out the 2,000+ they were given,but we may struggle to get 4,000 of our own fans in.It`s a derby game,so it is a shame other things have taken the excitement away.It`s going to be a really tough game,and sadly you have to put Charlton clear favourites on Saturday.If we sneak a win then it would be a massive win with us bottom of the league.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Iwas thinking of making this game my first match of the season since I gave up my season ticket. I fully intended to get a ticket, but as the week has progressed I just haven't got round to it. That must be telling me something so when I read comments like the above about 2000 charlton fans coming and empty spaces all around the Gills stands I feel like it would just be a depressing experience. Medway rugby are at home just around the corner from me which is always good to watch and to which I can take my dog, and we have a youth day at the cricket club which I haven't been to for years as it always seems to clash with a Gills home game. So I don't think I'm going to bother with Gills. At the moment my heart just isn't in it and everything I read makes me less enthusiastic about attending a game. And it's not just because we are losing; goodness knows I've seen seasons like this one seems to be shaping up many a time, but it's everything that surrounds the club. Players who profess to love the club leaving then making cryptic comments, court cases, criminal investigations, money grabbing such as closing the education centre, Ade making reference to £200 a week players, which is hard to believe, fewer and fewer fans and a poor atmosphere etc. Where is the incentive for me to make the effort to get to a game? As an aside, after 15 years or so of faithfully renewing my ST without any thought, I was surprised that when I didn't renew, the club didn't contact me to try to encourage my renewal, or to ask me why I wasn't renewing. I would have thought that would have been useful market research. I really hope we thrash Charlton tomorrow and that I get my enthusiasm back, but at the moment, a rugby match in the park or our youth cricketers having fun seem more appealing to me.
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 pm

We've always had moments where we wonder what is going on. I have to say, this season takes that to a whole new and frightening level. I am fearful for our future currently.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Scally is as a football owner ,an idiot, sorry thats what I think he is in the world of football. Sure he was bright back in the 80's or when ever when he sold bunches of people used copiers on a promise and a prayer, he was bright when he bought the Gills for a QUID, but he shows he really wasn't very bright when he failed to sell suckers used computers, or used copiers to fit there used computers, and he really showed how dumb he is when we got GFC into the Championship Division, finishing 11th,then letting them slide back to the FOURTH DIVISION,he doesn't give two f***s about GFC, I really believe that.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

-----------------------------------------Holy-------------------------------------------
O'Neill--------------------Zakuani--------------------Lacey--------------------Ogilvie
-----------------------Hessenthaler-------------------Byrne---------------------------
Wagstaff--------------------------------------------------------------------------Clare
---------------------------Wilkinson------------------Eaves----------------------------

SUBS: Arnold (GK), Ehmer, Nugent, Oldaker, Starkey, Parker, Nash

I was going to name Billy Bingham amongst the substitutes bench, But I think New Signing Jesse Starkey will be in The Match-Day Squad for tomorrow's home match against Charlton Athletic, With Lee Martin suspended, I think Sean Clare will drift out-wide to the left wing, he took his goal really well on Tuesday Night Against AFC Wimbledon and I was also impressed with Sean Clare's Delivery From Corner Kicks, Liam Nash should recovery from his illness to be on the bench, and likely make a cameo appearance at some point during the match.

I am not sure which way this match is going to go, either Charlton Athletic live up to early season expectations and Charlton Athletic win 3-0 / 4-0, or, Gillingham rip up the form book completely and nick this match 1-0, I am hoping for the latter over the former, and let's hope that Gillingham can pick up there first league win of the season - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:04 pm

WWWOOOOHOOO welcome back Ms. Fanny mulligan, I knew that reports of you going to Peru to find us a new manger we nothing but Mr. Lidbit telling PORKY PIRS, PIR guys in RbS, GOD DAM, PORKY PIES, (who moved the letters on this keyboard,) MR Budwiswer where are you,come here this second. Is it true you guys in England actually drink Budweiser ,a fried of mine said it's sold everywhere in the UK, say it ain't so Joe, say it ain't so ??
Well I agree with you my dear Ms Fanny Mulligan, and may I after all the time we have been communicating call you just, Fanny, I feel that i know you so well the formality of me calling you Ms Fanny Mulligan maybe be shall we say is now becoming unnecessary , lets be honest after last night ,wwwooo hhooo, I feel we know each other inside and out, so I will call you Fanny, and you can call me Big Daddy, is that OK.
God I love these secret messages we can send each other, I can say what i like about anyone on here and they don't know what I am saying, just great,just great, in my next post I am going to tell you about Mr. Lidbit and the...................well wait till next time and I will tell you.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 am

I can't stand Budweiser, tastes like its been in a rusty tin can for years.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I knew it,I knew it, all our troubles are over, Ady is the best manager we have ever had and Holy,Holy, Holy is a better keeper than Johnny Simpson.
Well done the Gills nice three points today, good job we have a good defense and a good job Chorlton couldn't hit a barn door from ten paces, still three points is three points and we thanks the boys for that.
gillsfan1066

Next

Return to Match Discussions