[ 17 Apr 14 ] Charlton Athletic v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Mon May 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Tomas Holy
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Lee Martin
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
100%
Harry Cornick
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Joe Quigley
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Josh Parker
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 1

[ 17 Apr 14 ] Charlton Athletic v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Garawa » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:26 pm

- The Gills have only previously faced Charlton 29 times. They have lost 13 and only won 4 and the last 3 meetings have all ended in draws.
- The Gills have never won at Charlton in 14 visits. There have been 5 draws there and 9 defeats.
- Charlton have only won 2 of their last 9 home games and scored just 7 goals in the process.
- The Gills are unbeaten in 4 against Charlton after 6 straight losses. The last win was in January 2004 (FA cup) but the last league win was back in March 1929.
- Before kick-off the Gills had scored half the number of first half goals (19) as they had in the second (38).
- Charlton have won 1 of their last 7 and 2 of their last 16. The Gills have won 1 of their last 6 but 4 of their last 16.
- After losing just 6 of their opening 29 league games, Charlton have since lost 8 out of their last 14.

3.02 Kick-Off [ 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 ]

GOAL! Charlton Athletic 1-0 Gillingham: Pearce
The Gills have conceded the opening goal in 6 of the last 8 matches. 31 of the 52 games have seen the opposition score first.

GOAL! Charlton Athletic 2-0 Gillingham: Holmes

3.49 Half-time 2-0 (46:58)
Since coming from 2-0 down to beat Shrewsbury 3-2, the Gills have been 2-0 down away 4 times and lost 0-2, 0-4, 1-2 and 2-3.

Charlton have only lost 2 of the 14 league games they were winning at the break but the Gills have won 3 of the 17 they were losing.

The second half kicks-off.

GOAL! Charlton Athletic 3-0 Gillingham: Magennis

4.55 FULL-TIME 3-0 (95:02)

Position: 18th
Attendance: 12,449 (2,185)
Referee: Brett Huxtable
Goal Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql6OFD7wd_U
BBC Match Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39550038
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 17 Apr 14 ] Charlton Athletic v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:50 pm

We don`t have long to enjoy the Bristol Rovers win as we make the short journey to Charlton tomorrow.This is probably the main game Gills fans looked at when the fixtures came out.Not many would have guessed we would both be struggling down the bottom,but it should be a great atmosphere from our end.2,000 Tickets sold with 1,000 available to buy on the gate tomorrow.Hopefully we can put in a very good performance to get closer to safety.A win would almost certainly keep us up on 52 points,a draw would be near enough there.I will be making my second trip to the Valley tomorrow.I don`t usually revisit grounds I have already done as I look to tick off new grounds with the Gills,but this game was too tempting!
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Still not over, and thankfully most of the others around us are at least one goal down. OH GOD, now down 3-0 the mighty Gills rising to the occasion I see. Oh well ,I have work to do,come on Gillingham try not to make yourselves look complete idiots today, I see the great Bradley Dack, and Cody MacDonald are leading the goal charge for us, what a joke this team has become.
Time for a REBUILD from top to bottom it will hurt for a season or two but must be done, new manager, five or six new players, drop that waste of money called the academy, never seen more than one or two players come through that system, stop all this stupid talk of a new 25,000 seat stadium, obtain the land and turn it into a potato patch till Scally dies and someone else buys the team, someone that wants to see the Gills do well,someone with foresight something the present owner really doesn't have , and shows that time after time we could not fill that Stadium in 5 games let alone one, and tell Steve Bruce to go on a diet and come back and manage the Gills.
Have a great Easter Monday everyone, don't spend to much time crying into your beer, I will do that for you at lunchtime, yummy salty beer.
gillsfan1066

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:00 pm

A poor result,and also poor finishing.I thought we started well we actually got the ball down and was in Charlton`s half for some time.Cody`s shot hit the side netting,but again our defending has let us down.The free kick was a good goal,but I thought Holy could have got nearer to their first goal.As poor as we were the ref was a massive homer giving Charlton anything.Cody looked too have been clipped and he gave nothing,but yet any touch on a Charlton player was a foul.Ehmer and Martin were taken out and nothing was given.2-0 down at H/T was game over really.We had a go in the second half,we had 18 shots in the game but most were high and wide.If we had our shooting boots on we could have scored a few,but nothing went on target.They got the third but luckily they couldn`t add to their lead.Where I sat the view was not great,and the atmosphere was poor.It was a poor day,but at least the results went for us.The highlight of the day was the Balti pie.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Return to Match Discussions