[ 14 Mar 17 ] GILLS v Bolton Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Zesh Rehman
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Lee Martin
No votes
Ollie Muldoon
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Mark Byrne
100%
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Joe Quigley
No votes
Josh Parker
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Elliott List
No votes

Total votes : 2

Re: [ 14 Mar 17 ] GILLS v Bolton Match Thread

Postby bunburygills » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 am

I actually agree with everything Gillsfan says. The manager is the most important person at the club after the man with the money. Look at the improvement at the clubs that have changed their managers, Leicester, Hull, Swansea and no doubt many more. I was reading about Fleetwood's massive improvement as well. Get a manager with a top CV at this level. I thought Edinburgh was going to be the man to take us forward, but wrong again. How about something radical, like a foreign manager, even an Aussie.
bunburygills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:55 am

Stop,stop,stop, lets not get carried away, lol,lol. I think there are a lot of overseas managers who would really like a crack at managing a team like GFC ,a team with potential and not a lot of pressure, win the Kent Cup and everyone thinks your the greatest thing since sliced bread, lol.
Although thinking about it why anyone would want to leave " down under " to come to England during the winter to manage a club beats me , lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:57 pm

My Match Report.............

Bolton Wanderers have given Gillingham A Football Education On Tuesday Night, Player for Player Bolton Wanderers were on a completely different level, a level that Gillingham are trying to reach ourselves, but it is going to take A Summer Over-Haul Of The Squad and signing players who can play in positions that we want to play, Ollie Muldoon and Lee Martin aren't Wing Back's, if we want to line up with Wing Back's, then we will need to sign players capable of playing in those position's, You need to be very athletic to play as A Wing Back and Ollie Muldoon and Lee Martin haven't got the energy levels to play in these positions, in-fact, just to give an example about The Differences between playing at Full Back, and playing at Wing Back, here is Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher's Fascinating Interview about Playing The Wing Back Role - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdF9B85DUMA - This Interview is a few year's old now, but this is well worth listening to.

I think the main reason why Adrian Pennock has lined up with three at the back is because he knows how poor Gillingham are defensively, so we need to line up with two strikers and Bradley Dack in The Starting Line Up and try and score more goals then the opposition, and as we're battling to avoid relegation, you score two and we score three is the approach we need to take to ensure League One Survival, but long term, Adrian Pennock, or someone else depending on who is appointed as Gillingham Manager, has to really strengthen Gillingham's Defensive Options In The Summer, because to have no fully fit full back's shows why we're forced to play with Three Centre Back's, Ryan Jackson and Bradley Garmston have had injury plagued season's, Paul Konchesky has signed for Billericay Town, and why did we let Brennan Dickenson go at the end of last season, Brennan Dickenson has scored Ten Goals for Colchester United This Season, he could play anywhere down the left side of the pitch, and up-front if we needed him to, and now Brennan Dickenson is playing very well for Colchester United.

Tactically I have no idea why was Lee Martin playing at Right Wing Back when he is Left Footed, I know he kept switching with Ollie Muldoon, but Lee Martin should have started at Left Wing Back, and when I saw The Team Sheet, I thought Gillingham were going to line up with A Diamond Midfield Formation with Jake Hessenthaler, Mark Byrne, Ollie Muldoon and Bradley Dack in The Centre of Midfield, mind you, regardless of what formation Gillingham Played On Tuesday Night, Gillingham needed to put in a 10/10 performance and hoped that Bolton Wanderers were on a off day, the reverse happened, and Gillingham were no-where near the levels we put in against Bolton Wanderers, while Bolton Wanderers put in a very professional performance, I don't mind losing if we gave the opposition a game and they had to battle and scrap to earn all three points, but it was game over at Half Time, and it could have quite easily have been 5-0 / 6-0 if Bolton Wanderers really wanted to step up another gear, thankfully Bolton Wanderers settled for four goals, because our goal difference has taken a bit of a battering, and we need to respond to this set-back as quickly as possible, because we're not safe yet by any means, I still think Gillingham need three more wins to retain our League One Status - which would put us on Fifty Four Points - Port Vale having three games in hand means that the gap between ourselves and The Bottom Four could be cut to two points if Port Vale win all there games in hand.

Phil Parkinson's Teams have always been organised, structured, hard to play against and very combative, but it appears that Phil Parkinson has the financial clout at Bolton Wanderers to add a bit of flair on top of that organisation, and perhaps this is why Phil Parkinson left Bradford City to take The Bolton Wanderers Job, he had more of a budget to work with, and you only had to look at the players who played on Tuesday Night to see the differences between Bolton Wanderers and Gillingham, Mark Beevers, Josh Vela, David Wheather, Gary Madine, Adam Le Fondre, Darren Pratley and Filipe Morais - who assisted all four goals on Tuesday Night - compare that to the team we named, and the differences in height and experience, and it was all too clear to see that there is a large gap between Bolton Wanderers and Gillingham, but we could of at least done more to make it difficult for Bolton Wanderers to score, we could have made it difficult for the visitor's and made them work hard to win, the fact that Bolton Wanderers have beaten Gillingham 4-0 home and away tells you a lot about this squad, because we have had a change of manager, but the squad remains largely the same, and it is changes to The Playing Squad that will need to happen during the off season.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bolton Wanderers are the best team to visit Priestfield Stadium This Season, but if we're going to lose, don't lose 4-0, lose 2-1 and make a fight for it, I am very disappointed that yet again Gillingham's in-ability to defend corner kicks has cost us two goals, the opening goal of the game and the goal that killed the match off at half time for 3-0, it happens far too often in my opinion, some-times, the cross is perfect and the header has gone into the top corner and there is nothing you can do about that, but both goals conceded could have been prevented in my opinion, and sometimes you need to put your head in where it hurts, and I am not sure if we have enough of those type of players in the squad.

Once we were 3-0 down, I would have given Noel Mbo his debut for Gillingham, and give two out of Elliott List, Mitchell Dickenson or Greg Cundle a runout, give a few of our younger players a chance and see what they could do, that would have been a positive we could have taken out of the match on Tuesday Night, Our Second and Third Substitutes Disappointed Me, Emmanuel Osadebe and Elliott List come on with five minutes to go, why not make that change after Seventy Minutes and give both players A Twenty Minute Run-Out ???

I think Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers will get promoted in First and Second Spot respectively in League One This Season, but One Gillingham Supporter made this very interesting point to me after the game on Tuesday Night, Many Supporters Believe that The Gap Between The Premier League And The Championship is the biggest gap in England, but actually it is The Championship and League One which has A Larger Gap, Wigan Athletic and Bristol City have both been promoted as League One Champions, there in The Bottom Three Of The Championship, and MK Dons and Yeovil Town have both gone up and down, and in Yeovil Town's Case, down into League Two, Just look at the teams in The Championship, Newcastle United, Leeds United, Aston Villa, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, Preston North End, Derby County, Norwich City, Ipswich Town, Wolves, QPR and Blackburn Rovers, All of these clubs have been in The Premier League, Blackburn Rovers won The Premier League back in 1995.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't have ambitions to try and reach The Second Tier, but it just goes to show how strong The Championship is and how big a gap there is between The Championship and League One, finally, credit to The Gillingham Supporters in The Rainham End for trying to get a atmosphere going even at 4-0 down, this reminds me of Northampton Town Away where Gillingham were getting thumped and supporters were in a conga line singing and chanting with a bit of gallows humour, also, credit to Bolton Wanderers for bringing 517 supporters to Priestfield Stadium On A Tuesday Night, I traveled to the reverse fixture so I know just how long a journey that is to make in the middle of the week.

Our Last Defeat was also on A Tuesday Night, that was a 3-1 defeat to Swindon Town, Gillingham followed that match up by traveling to Bury and winning 2-1, hopefully, Gillingham can recover from this set-back and pick up all three points against Rochdale this weekend, Rochdale and Bury are only a few miles apart, and I have got a good record at Rochdale, so hopefully Gillingham can pick up all three points and move up to Forty Eight Points and edge closer to League One Safety - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 pm

https://twitter.com/KM_TeamTalk/status/841752781232996352

Also, Peter Taylor was spotted at Priestfield Stadium On Tuesday Night.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Garawa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Peter Taylor entered in front of me and "had a meeting with the Chairman" first!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Previous

Return to Match Discussions