[ 11 Mar 17 ] GILLS v Scunthorpe Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:50 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Zesh Rehman
No votes
Chris Herd
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
No votes
Lee Martin
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Josh Wright
100%
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Joe Quigley
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Josh Parker
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes

Total votes : 4

Re: [ 11 Mar 17 ] GILLS v Scunthorpe Match Thread

Postby lidbid46 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:59 pm

I believe, I believe! But please could I ask him for my voice back? I seem to have left it in the RE!!
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Terrible game. Other than Cody nobody really showed much desire. We looked utterly out of shape and I'm sure everyone forgot Oshilaja was further forward on the left so expected him to be at left back but wasn't leaving acres of space for their first. That was 6 minutes in and we panicked. The gap between the back 8 and front 2 was massive. No shots on target until our first goal.

The referee was atrocious. Cody, with the ball to his right and defender to his left, was about too strike in the penalty area when he was brought down but no penalty. Second half a blatant arm brought the ball to be hoofed away and again no penalty. Every foul went their way especially from Quigley yet he was yanked, pulled, rolled over and pushed all game without winning a thing. We didn't deserve anything from the game but the referee ensured that.

Then suddenly he had a change of heart! The 3 penalties were deserved but on past history I never expected them to be given. How Wright kept his cool I don't know, he has gone from being Mr Average to a player of the season contender. Quite incredible!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Luke Daniels was in goal when we lost 7-0 at Shrewsbury and we got our revenge at Wembley in the play-off final. Daniels was also in goal when we lost 5-0 at Scunthorpe earlier in the season. I'd say we got our revenge again today!

Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:10 pm

An unbelievable result,and turnaround! I thought Scunthorpe were the better team,we were asleep for a while and Madden slotted home after three minutes.Cody was brought down in the area as he was about to shoot,and watching it again it looks a clear penalty.The second half Nelson made a few decent saves,but they grabbed the second which had been coming.Toffolo's shot crept through Nelson's legs,all I can say is his view had to be blocked.From then after what happened was just unbelievable.Dack was fouled in the box.Wright stepped up and made it 1-2.Not long after another penalty was given for a handball.Wright stepped up again for 2-2! Priestfield was buzzing,and just after that another penalty was given for a foul on Wright.Wright on a hat trick stepped up and made it 3-2! Fantastic scenes around the ground,and we held on for a massive victory.At 2-0 who would have guessed it? It's days like yesterday that make us keep going.A massive three points against a good side in this league.7 points needed to reach 52,and another tough game coming up next at home to Bolton on Tuesday.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:13 pm

If anyone hasn't seen the goals, the link (as always) to view them is at the bottom of the match summary at the top of this topic.

And here's Josh Wright talking about his hat-trick on Sky Sports:
http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10 ... trick-hero

Garawa

Postby bunburygills » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:34 am

I've just watched the goals on that link. How come nobody has mentioned our goalies absolute howlers for both goals. That 30 yarder went through his legs yet it wasn't mentioned in the match report.
bunburygills

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

From where I was it was a great strike. From the other angle his view was completely blocked and only saw the ball as it roared towards him. I guess it was half a fantastic strike and half a freak one! He tried to close his legs quickly but too late.

He could have done better for the first but for me, it was terrible defending by Herd. He stayed in situ and hoped Oshilaja was tracking back but wasn't. With acres of space Nelson stayed back to close off the near post but the freedom of Medway was given to him and he placed it where he wanted. Nelson pulled off a great stop at 0-1 that effectively kept us in the game and pulled off another great stop late on to stop the score going to 3-3.

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Here is Josh Wright's hat-trick from behind the Rainham End goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thcySalJyI4

Garawa

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 pm

http://fan-of-mulligan.tumblr.com/post/158520923877/fom-blog-gillingham-3-2-scunthorpe-united

Here Is My FOM BLOG For Gillingham's Incredible 3 - 2 win against Scunthorpe United - Enjoy.
fan_of_mulligan

Previous

Return to Match Discussions