[ 21 Sep 16 ] Tottenham Hotspur v GILLS Match Thread (cup)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Jonathan Bond
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Adedeji Oshilaja
50%
Paul Konchesky
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Mark Byrne
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Cody McDonald
50%
Stuart Nelson
No votes
Scott Wagstaff
No votes
Billy Knott
No votes

Total votes : 2

Re: [ 21 Sep 16 ] Tottenham Hotspur v GILLS Match Thread (cu

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:40 pm

From reading comments on other groups it sounds like I made the right decision not to go last night. It seems that it's not the result that ruined people's night; most probably expected that to be honest, but it was the way Gills just capitulated and didn't seem to be up for the match at all. This is strange as the game could be the most prestigious one that some of our players ever get to take part in. As I suspected, many had a nightmare journey both to and from the ground; it really is an awkward place to get to; even those who went by coach with some not reaching home until 1am. Not many seemed to have enjoyed themselves apart from one thing which stands out and that is the noise that the Gills fans made from start to finish. Whilst this is great it has left me wondering why it takes a game like this, which we had little chance of winning, to enthuse people to chant and sing, when come Saturday I know I'll be sitting in the RE in silence once again. Anyone any ideas how we can motivate our fans to back the team in games when we might have a chance of winning in a competition that could bring success?
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Good point. We all hear about the fans needing the players to get the noise going so I guess that either a) the players did superbly well last night getting the fans going or b) its a load of nonsense!

I suspect it is B so why can't we do that for games we should expect to fair better in?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes its nonsense. I think its more to do with the opposition fans than our players to be honest. I have read so many comments on other platforms from so called Gills fans on the lines of: who cares about the result; we completely outsang the Spurs fans. We made a noise from start to finish and that's all that really matters. Really? We lost five nill but we won the real contest; we made more noise. The trouble is; I'm sure that's why some people went; not to support the players so much as to show off to the Spurs fans. I saw comments from people I know who are actually Chelsea and Arsenal fans calling WHL a s***hole and worse and pouring derision on everything to do with Tottenham; the area, their fans ect. They clearly were not there just to support the Gills.
lidbid46

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:08 pm

My Match Report for The Tottenham Game........

I have got to say that I am disappointed, not because of the result, because for Gillingham to win away from home against Tottenham then every Gillingham Player needed to be nine or ten out of ten, and we needed seven Tottenham Players to have A Off Day, but I have got to say that I was very disappointed with Gillingham's Performance in The Second Half, because at Half Time, the score-line was 1-0 to Tottenham, and yes, Tottenham created so many goal-scoring opportunities that they could and should have been out of sight, but to concede two goals in five minutes at the start of the second half, and concede yet another penalty is very disappointing, 3-0, game over, tie over, and the rest of the match was essentially a training exercise for Tottenham and damage limitation for Gillingham, even at 2-0, Gillingham were still in the tie if we could get one back, but once it was 3-0, there was no coming back, although I was still hoping that Gillingham would score A Goal at White Heart Lane, so we had something to celebrate.

There is no doubt that Tottenham are a top top team and even there second string had the likes of Vincent Janssen, Christian Eriksen, Erik Lamela, Ben Davies, Kieran Trippier and Michel Vorm, all these players mentioned are top players who would walk into most Premier League Starting Line Up's, so with that in mind, maybe some supporters will think that my comments are being over-critical when you take into consideration the quality of the opposition, the fact that Gillingham were playing at White Heart Lane, and that this was only the second time in the past eleven year's that Gillingham have reached The League Cup Third Round.

OK, It isn't every-day that Gillingham are making trips to White Heart Lane and playing against A Team of Tottenham's Quality, so maybe the occasion got to the players a bit, but after working so hard to get this glamour tie by winning away against Watford in The Second Round, surely, the one thing the players will want to do after full time is leave the pitch knowing that you gave it everything and that Tottenham had to work hard for the win, unfortunately, I cannot say that, because Tottenham could and perhaps should have hit double figures against Gillingham on Wednesday Night, Newcastle United at home in The League Cup was a very good cup tie and Gillingham were in that match until the full time whistle, the only down-side that day was the fact that Gillingham didn't go for it from The Sixtieth Minute, But Tottenham Away felt like Gillingham were sight-seeing - especially in The Second Half - Maybe A Martin Allen or Tony Pulis Gillingham Side would have given Tottenham The Physical Encounter that was severely lacking, as Gillingham showed Tottenham far too much respect - and I had no problem with keeping eleven men behind the ball and keeping things compact - but we needed to do something to let Tottenham know that this was a competitive cup tie.

It was very unfortunate that Jonathan Bond had to be substituted because I thought that Jonathan Bond was having a very good game, Stuart Nelson got a very good reception when he came on, and of the goals conceded, I would say that the fourth goal scored by Josh Onomah was the one that Stuart Nelson could have done better with as Stuart Nelson was beaten at his near post, but I have also have got to point out that Stuart Nelson's last appearance for Gillingham was against Luton Town in The Football League Trophy, you cannot bring on A Goalkeeper and give them a twenty minute runout, and Stuart Nelson also prevented Marcus Edwards from inflicting further damage - Tottenham Supporters really do rate Marcus Edwards highly and you can see why - but substituting our goalkeeper was not what we wanted to see, as this restricted us with any additional substitutions late on in the match.

One player who you couldn't tell if he was injured or not when he was substituted was Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, as the one time Jay Emmanuel-Thomas stretched to try and intercept the ball, he needed to be substituted with Scott Wagstaff coming on in his place, Now Jay Emmanuel-Thomas may well be genuinely injured and his substitution was enforced, but even if he is available for selection for The Coventry City Game, I wouldn't start Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, this was A Former Arsenal Youngster going to the ground of Arsenal's biggest rival's, and you would of thought that Jay Emmanuel-Thomas would be up for it, looking to take players on, chase loose ball's, put in a challenge, but the one moment Jay Emmanuel-Thomas did create himself was when he cut inside and see's his effort on goal from distance go well wide of Tottenham's Goal, that effort was all abut the glory, as there were better passing options available, I just don't think we can start a player who can be nine out of ten one week, and then three out of ten in the next match, I think we saw more from Scott Wagstaff in the final thirty minutes, then we saw from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas for the hour before hand.

Two Players who I am not going to criticise are Max Ehmer and Adedeji Oshilaja, and I thought that Adedeji Oshilaja was one of Gillingham's Better Players on Wednesday Night, even though he conceded a penalty, it doesn't help when Josh Wright is too far up the pitch and not playing where he should be, and surely the clue is in the name - defensive holding midfielder - our centre back's have not been given the protection they clearly need, especially when your playing against A Top Tottenham Side with Vincent Janssen, Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela in The Starting Line Up, Gillingham really do miss Aaron Morris at the moment, who is by far our best defensive midfielder.

And because of that lack of protection, Tottenham really could have scored ten goals last night, Jonathan Bond made a fantastic save to stop Christian Eriksen from scoring, Cameron Carter-Vickers headed Christian Eriksen dangerous in-swinging corner kick just wide, Vincent Janssen should have headed Kieran Trippier's dangerous in-swinging cross on target, and The Tottenham Number Nine's Held Up Play was good, but he was scuffing chances wide and hitting snap-shot effort's, he finally scored from the penalty spot in The Second Half, and with Harry Kane injured, Vincent Janssen will be leading the line, but Tottenham could have hit ten past Gillingham, mostly because Tottenham are a quality team with decent players, but Gillingham put in A Second Half Performance which was very disappointing.

I want to end My Match Report with a few positives after writing so many negatives above....

The League Cup has been a success for Gillingham This Season, to win away from home against Southend United set us up with a memorable League Cup Second Round Tie against Watford at Vicarage Road, and no-one is going to forget that truly remarkable result, as that win was only the second time in our entire history that Gillingham have won away from home against top flight opposition, the only other time was against Coventry City, the atmosphere at Vicarage Road was incredible, and that cup upset set up a very glamorous tie against Tottenham, in what could be there last Mid-Week Cup Game at White Heart Lane before the stadium is redeveloped.

I just wished we saw more of that Watford Performance against Tottenham, even though Tottenham are a huge step up in class compared to Watford and Mauricio Pochettino has more experience of playing against Lower League Opposition then Walter Mazzarri, I just felt that something was missing against Tottenham on Wednesday Night, it was like the occasion got to us or we were happy to be taking part, and Gillingham were reluctant to put a tackle in, reluctant to try and disrupt Tottenham's play, reluctant to try and make this a physical confrontation while trying to retain that defensive discipline to ensure that Tottenham are limited and restricted to as few goal-scoring opportunities as possible - which is easier said then done - I kind of left White Heart Lane with a "What If" Or "If Only" expression, something was missing, our passing was off the pace, a lack of urgency, confidence, belief or a combination of all three.

Great turn out and support from The Gillingham Supporters in The Upper and Lower Tier's in the away end, and I am glad I get to tick off White Heart Lane before the stadium is re-developed as well, Gillingham should make £200,000 - £300,000 in gate money from Wednesday night's match, money which can go into the club, and maybe Tottenham's performance and the way they played will give Gillingham A Footballing Lesson we can take into the up and coming league games, had Gillingham pulled off the most unlikely of result's, we would have got the opportunity to go to Anfield and play against Liverpool - not that I was expecting Gillingham to win - but I was expecting Gillingham to put in a more admirable performance then what we saw in The Second Half.

Sorry this is such a negative Match Report, There was no chance of me writing A Blog for this match as Tottenham had five efforts on goal inside the first fifteen minutes, I knew it was going to be a long evening and Gillingham's Chances of winning were slim at best, but that second half performance and the way Gillingham conceded four goals inside twenty minutes was very disappointing, hopefully we can now concentrate on The Coventry City Game and look to start improve our league form, and in-particular, start improving our performances at home, a win against Coventry City will do nicely - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Will we really make that much? If so, that just shows you why the gap between the top clubs and the likes of us keeps growing.
lidbid46

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:18 pm

I did read we would make around £80,000 from the game,but not sure how true that is.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Previous

Return to Match Discussions