[ 23 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Shrewsbury Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Sat May 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
John Egan
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
33%
Bradley Dack
33%
Luke Norris
33%
Cody McDonald
No votes
Brennan Dickenson
No votes
George Williams
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: [ 23 Apr 16 ] GILLS v Shrewsbury Match Thread

Postby Rimshot » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:27 am

Agreed the ref was truly appalling but he was NOT the reason we lost. We can't defend even the simplest counter-attack, in my view this is primarily down to lack of 'bite' in midfield. We seem quite content to concede the middle of the pitch and this allows the oppo to play long diagonal passes with plenty of time to find a target.
Add to that Nelson's sorry attempt on the first goal.
If that's the best we've played since September I'm glad I don't make the round trip from Buckinghamshire more often.
Rimshot

Postby lidbid46 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:49 am

Did anyone else think that the clash at the end when one of their players was hurt was a penalty? I swear Dack was taken out by two defenders; one high and the other low and I actually thought he was going to be the one who was hurt. As it was the last kick of the game it seemed to be glossed over but from block two in the Rainham End it looked like a penalty to me.
lidbid46

Postby Goalmouth » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:02 pm

I agree with you Lid, but I was a long way away. You certainly couldn't call the referee a 'Homer' and having seen Nelson told by the referee in the first half at Sheffield Utd to get a move on, I was astounded the ref on Saturday only added on two minutes at the end of the first half considering how long it took Shrewsbury's 'keeper to take free kicks. I'm not saying we're averse to a bit of time wasting, but the referees always seem to add on plenty of time when we're winning or drawing away from home.
Goalmouth

Postby Garawa » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:23 pm

We all know time wasting happens in most games and do it ourselves but not after 20 minutes with another 4 goals yet to be scored! 2 minutes does then seem very odd. I too thought it was a foul on Dack but didn't have a clue what was happening so didn't think of it. I didn't even hear the final whistle which I'm positive never came at the time and looking at the live text of the match, the last "action" was a yellow card for Akpa-Akpro so there is no mention of a foul either way. Seems like it gave the ref the ideal chance to end the game and not give something our way!

Rimshot, ONE of the best performances not the best. I felt we played well, attacked well and created chances and the stats bear out the fact. Most shots on target in a game this season (9), most for a player in any one game (Cody x 4), most fouls won (23), most fouled player in a match for several seasons (Norris x 8), highest home percentage (60.0%) and 16 shots to 7. Had it ended 3-2 to us and we would be saying what a great game it was.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:58 pm

lidbid46 wrote:Did anyone else think that the clash at the end when one of their players was hurt was a penalty? I swear Dack was taken out by two defenders; one high and the other low and I actually thought he was going to be the one who was hurt. As it was the last kick of the game it seemed to be glossed over but from block two in the Rainham End it looked like a penalty to me.

I did,I waited for a good 10 minutes to see who it was.Luckily their player was ok.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Previous

Return to Match Discussions