[ 19 Apr 16 ] Rochdale v GILLS Match Thread

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the Match

Poll ended at Tue May 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Stuart Nelson
50%
John Egan
50%
Deji Oshilaja
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Ryan Jackson
No votes
Bradley Garmston
No votes
Josh Wright
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Aaron Morris
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Luke Norris
No votes
Jermaine McGlashan
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes

Total votes : 2

Re: [ 19 Apr 16 ] Rochdale v GILLS Match Thread

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:38 pm

It would be good if we could get back to letting the opposition worry about us again.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:30 am

This Match Thread has taken me longer then I would of liked, but this is My Match Report for The 1-1 draw between Rochdale and Gillingham..................

MY MATCH REPORT FOR ROCHDALE........

This is My Match Report for the game against Rochdale on Tuesday Night, and I will write this Match Report in the positive and negative theme, like I did for The Sheffield United Game..........

LINE UP AND BENCH

Gillingham Lined Up with the 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 formation we have been lining up with in recent weeks and Gillingham Lined Up As Follows,,,,,,, Stuart Nelson, Adedeji Oshilaja, John Egan, Max Ehmer, Ryan Jackson, Aaron Morris, Josh Wright, Jake Hessenthaler, Bradley Garmston, Bradley Dack, Luke Norris – SUBS: Glenn Morris, Adam El-Abd, Jermaine McGlashan, Brennan Dickenson, Emmanuel Osadebe, Cody McDonald and Rory Donnelly.

Josh Wright, Aaron Morris and Jake Hessenthaler were all lining up as three defensive holding midfielder’s in-front of Adedeji Oshilaja, John Egan and Max Ehmer, so Gillingham’s Line Up was dependant on Ryan Jackson and Bradley Garmston to provide Gillingham with pace and width in wide area’s, and Bradley Dack was supporting Luke Norris in attack, it was very interesting to hear Justin Edinburgh’s Post Match Comments about playing Bradley Dack up-front, and apparently Bradley Dack was playing up-front to condense his running, I suppose we also moved Bradley Dack closer to the opposition goal hoping that Dack would score and Gillingham could sit on a lead, with the three centre back’s and three defensive midfielder’s behind the front two.

POSITIVES

Another Point And A Very Important Point – When your 1-0 down away from home and John Egan scores Gillingham’s Equaliser in The Seventy Eighth Minute, then you can never be disappointed with an draw and an point on your travels – OK, Gillingham ideally could of done with all three points and an win against Rochdale would of moved Gillingham on to Seventy One Points from Forty Three Matches and strengthen our chances of retaining an high playoff place – as Third and Fourth in League One get The Home Leg Second – but this could be the point that makes all the difference come the end of the season - this point stops the rot from back to back away defeats, and the last time Gillingham did that was when we drew 0-0 against Scunthorpe United, that goal-less draw kick-started an six match unbeaten run, and another run like that will see Gillingham reach The League One Playoff Final and possibly secure promotion into The Championship – well that is what I thought before Saturday’s 3-2 home defeat against Shrewsbury Town anyway.

Post Match Togetherness – The players came over to the supporters and showed there appreciation to The Gillingham Supporters who had made the long long trip to Spotlands on A Tuesday Night, and with “GILLS, GILLS, GILLS” Being chanted from the away end, you would of been forgiven hearing that atmosphere at the end of the match and thinking that Gillingham had won the game, with the supporters applauding the players and the players showing there appreciation to the supporters, then this togetherness is going to be needed for the final three league games of the season.

Gillingham Supporters – I lost count the amount of times I said “COME ON GILLS” During the match on Tuesday Night, either in an attempt to cheer the players on, or my frustrations of another Rochdale Chance almost hitting the back of the net, but the supporters stuck with the players, kept chanting and kept showing there support from the sidelines, and I just wish that we saw more of this togetherness and more encouraging support at home matches, I know there is an difference in mentalities between home and away matches, but you could tell that the players appreciated our support on Tuesday Night – I have seen a post on Facebook from Gillingham Supporters who want to encourage the players before they go into the players entrance to try and give them a psychological boost – and although this didn’t get the desired result on Saturday, more of the same before home games could give the players an much needed confidence boost ahead of The Millwall Game.

Adam El-Abd – Even though he was an unused substitute for The Rochdale Game, just seeing Adam El-Abd back in The Match Day Squad was an massive boost, The Experienced Centre Back helped Gillingham keep five clean sheet’s in six league games and since being substituted against Walsall, Gillingham have conceded five goals in the last three matches, (eight goals conceded in four games now), getting Adam El-Abd back fully fit and back in The Starting Line Up is essential for Gillingham’s push for an playoff place.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:41 am

NEGATIVES

Route One From Gillingham – There are times when your clearing the ball down-field because the defence is under a lot of pressure or because John Egan, Adedeji Oshilaja and Max Ehmer don’t want to mess about with the ball in Gillingham’s Final Third Of The Pitch by over-playing – those example’s are exempt from my frustrations – but Gillingham don’t have the personnel in the squad to play a long ball game, and Luke Norris and Bradley Dack were always going to be second best going up against Oliver Lancashire and Ashley Eastham, why doesn’t Stuart Nelson play a short goal-kick out-wide to Ryan Jackson or Bradley Garmston, or one of the three centre back’s drop deep for a short goal-kick ???

Gillingham are a much better team when we keep the ball on the deck and play pass and move football - OK Rochdale’s pitch has wear and tear from the long football season, and Rochdale do ground-share with Rochdale Hornets R.L.F.C - but the hosts are playing excellent football and Gillingham need to be encouraged to do the same.

GOAL-KICKS - Every-Team appears to put all there players on one side of the pitch and either Stuart Nelson or the opposition goal-keeper will kick the ball down the side of the pitch where all the players are standing – I don’t know why someone doesn’t stand down the opposite side of the pitch and Stuart Nelson can quickly distribute the ball to either Ryan Jackson or Bradley Garmston – although this is one of my personnel gripes with goal-kick’s, because it appears that every-team (and not just Gillingham) will kick the ball where every player is standing.

Mistake From Stuart Nelson - In The Twenty Fifty Minute Of The Match, Stuart Nelson attempts to shield the ball out of play for A Gillingham Goal-Kick but Stuart Nelson accidentally knocks the ball out of play for an corner kick, from the resulting corner kick, Donal McDermott’s in-swinging corner kick is aimed towards the far post and Oliver Lancashire cannot climb high enough to header the ball on target - Rochdale Supporters in The Pearl Street Stand were appealing for an penalty, although there was nothing clear cut we could see at the time which we could suggest where Rochdale were going to get an penalty from, and the only text I can see on Twitter is that Adedeji Oshilaja tangled with Oliver Lancashire in Gillingham’s Penalty Area, but is that enough for an penalty kick to be awarded ??? - no not for me - but Stuart Nelson was the player breathing an sigh of relief as that was an poor error from one of our most consistent players this season.

The 3.5.2 / 5.3.2 formation - Now I like this formation and I think that Gillingham should line up like this, but the personnel was all wrong on Tuesday Night, when you have got Adedeji Oshilaja, John Egan and Max Ehmer as the three centre backs with Jake Hessenthaler, Josh Wright and Aaron Morris as the three defensive holding midfielders, your playing for a draw / sucker punch win - Bradley Dack is trying to support Luke Norris in attack but Ryan Jackson and Bradley Garmston are being pressed back by Rochdale’s two wingers - but if we want Bradley Dack and two strikers on the pitch, then Gills either line up with the diamond midfield, or play three at the back to get two up-front, and I rather have three at the back then revert back to the diamond midfield formation.

Passing Error’s And lack of travellers - John Egan, Josh Wright and Aaron Morris have all made passing error’s which have been cut out, Josh Wright has had a few below par performances in recent weeks, but when you look at Josh Wright, Aaron Morris and Jake Hessenthaler as an midfield trio, all three are defensive minded with the aim to stop the opposition, none of them are going to run forward in possession of the ball, now Callum Camps and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing are both wingers, but Michael Rose and Jamie Allen can both travel from the middle of midfield in possession of midfield and I did wonder at the time if it is worth considering substituting one of Aaron Morris, Josh Wright or Jake Hessenthaler, bring on Cody McDonald and push Bradley Dack back into his more natural central attacking midfielder role ???
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:43 am

CHANCES FOR ROCHDALE……………..

After that goal-scoring where Josh Lillis saved that one on one effort from Bradley Dack, Rochdale came very close to hitting Gillingham on the counter attack, Jim McNulty plays the ball first time through to Jamie Allen, who squares the ball to Donal McDermott, and The Rochdale Midfielder plays an first time through-ball for Joe Bunney to run on to, but Bradley Garmston shields the ball back to Stuart Nelson and prevents Gillingham from being hit on the counter attack – although with Aaron Morris, Jake Hessenthaler and Josh Wright in midfield, and Adedeji Oshilaja, John Egan and Max Ehmer in defence, Gillingham shouldn’t be getting hit on the counter attack.

Rochdale create another decent goal-scoring opportunity in The Ninth Minute as Rochdale are starting to target there Right Side of The Pitch as Bradley Garmston struggled to start with before growing into the game, Jim McNulty plays an cross-field pass to Callum Camps, who has the beating of Bradley Garmston for pace, and Callum Camps manages to retain possession of the ball on the edge of the penalty area before teeing up Joe Bunney for a first time effort on goal which deflects off Adedeji Oshilaja and goes out of play for A Rochdale Corner Kick.

Michael Roses’s in-swinging corner kick to the far post is headed clear and away from danger by Luke Norris and Donal McDermott manages to keep the ball in play, and The Rochdale Midfielder went down very easily underneath Bradley Garmston’s challenge and Referee Kevin Wright thought that was the case as well and only pointed for A Gillingham Goal-Kick.

TWELVE MINUTES - Chance for both Rochdale and Gillingham - Bradley Garmston is forced to concede an corner kick by blocking Donal McDermott’s cross from the right side of the pitch, Donal McDermott goes across to take the resulting corner kick, and Donal McDermott’s in-swinging cross is headed clear by John Egan and Ryan Jackson gets on to the loose ball and runs from Gillingham’s Final Third up to the halfway line before squaring the ball to Aaron Morris, who plays the ball out-wide to Ryan Jackson, who plays the ball inside to Bradley Dack, and Bradley Dack plays an cross-field pass to Max Ehmer, who plays the ball down-field to Bradley Garmston, and Bradley Garmston’s high and hanging cross into Rochdale’s Penalty Area is gathered by Josh Lillis - It takes Gillingham quite an few passes to turn defence into attack and I would like to see 2-3 Gillingham Players on the halfway line, which will enable Gillingham to counter attack with more numbers in Rochdale’s Final Third.

FOURTEEN MINUTES - Rochdale were awarded an controversial free kick when it looked liked Bradley Dack had disposed the ball from Joe Rafferty on the halfway line, but Referee Kevin Wright awards the free kick to Rochdale and Donal McDermott goes across to take the resulting free kick, and Donal McDermott’s high ball into Gillingham’s Penalty Area is headed just wide of Stuart Nelson’s Left Hand Post by Oliver Lancashire - but The Rochdale Centre Back’s header wouldn’t have counted had that effort been on target, as The Linesman on the far side of the pitch had raised his flag for offside.

THIRTY THREE AND THIRTY SIX MINUTES - The first save from Stuart Nelson was comfortable as Donal McDermott tries his luck from distance, but it is the second save after thirty six minutes which is the best save of the match from either goalkeeper and that save from Stuart Nelson keeps the score-line at 0-0.

Josh Lillis kicks the ball long down-field and John Egan wins the aerial battle up against Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and the ball bounces to Jamie Allen, who’a first time ball forward doesn’t go towards Gillingham’s Goal and Adedeji Oshilaja has to header the ball out-wide to Ryan Jackson as Adedeji Oshilaja was under pressure from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Ryan Jackson plays the ball back to Adedeji Oshilaja and Adedeji Oshilaja clears the ball down-field, Luke Norris flicks the ball on and Oliver Lancashire was always going to win the aerial challenge ahead of Bradley Dack, but Aaron Morris gets to the second ball and skips past the first challenge from Michael Rose, but Jamie Allen’s robust challenge puts Aaron Morris on to the floor.

And from here, Rochdale can counter attack as Jamie Allen plays a short pass sideways to Callum Camps, who plays the ball forward to Donal McDermott, who runs forward in possession of the ball before passing the ball down the line to Joe Bunney, who was allowed to cut inside and get a shot away on goal from distance, and Callum Camps gets the faintest of touches to divert the ball into the far left corner and Stuart Nelson quickly dives down to his right to turn the ball around the post - great save from Stuart Nelson.

THIRTY SEVEN MINUTES - From The Resulting Corner Kick and Rochdale create another decent goal-scoring opportunity, Michael Rose’s in-swinging cross from the corner is headed wide of the far right post from Oliver Lancashire, as the hosts look the more likely team to open the scoring.

FORTY FIVE MINUTES - GOAL - Rochdale scored in First Half Stoppage Time and this was a really poor goal for Gillingham to concede, Jim McNulty’s long throw down the down the line is flicked on by Ryan Jackson and Aaron Morris plays an one touch pass back to Josh Wright, who plays an horrendous cross-field pass which is cut out by Joe Rafferty, who runs forward in possession of the ball before playing the ball down the line to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Bradley Garmston sticks with the winger, blocks the initial cross and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is shielding the ball in the far corner, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing eventually passes the ball back to Joe Rafferty, who plays the ball back to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, who cuts inside and runs into a more central position and as Max Ehmer comes out to close The Rochdale Winger Down, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing plays the ball through to Callum Camps, and The Rochdale Midfielder skips past John Egan’s challenge and curls the ball into the far left corner of the net, and Rochdale will be delighted to have scored before half time, while every Gillingham Supporter was furious.

When Bradley Garmston has pinned Nathaniel Mendez-Laing right in the far corner, we shouldn’t be conceding goals from that area of the pitch, but once Rochdale got into a more central position, Gillingham dropped off and we allowed Nathaniel Mendez-Laing to pick out Callum Camps, and The Rochdale Midfielder has punished Gillingham, just when we thought we were going to go in at the break with the score-line level at 0-0.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 am

SECOND HALF

FIFTY THREE MINUTES - Rochdale created the first goal-scoring opportunity of The Second Half as the visitor’s were looking for the crucial second goal which would mean that it is extremely unlikely that Gillingham would get anything out of the game, Jim McNulty plays the ball back to Ashley Eastham, who slices the ball up into the air, but Jim McNulty wins the aerial challenge up against Adedeji Oshilaja and headers the ball on and Callum Camps gets on to the loose ball and runs down the line in possession of the ball, and Callum Camps low cross is blocked by Josh Wright and Ryan Jackson’s pass back to Josh Wright is poor as Callum Camps intercepts the ball and with The Rochdale Winger running away from goal, Callum Camps high ball into Gillingham’s Penalty Area see’s Adedeji Oshilaja’s poor defensive header tee up Donal McDermott on the edge of Gillingham’s Penalty Area, but an combination of the ball not bouncing down for The Rochdale Midfielder to hit an first time effort on goal, and Max Ehmer narrowing the shooting angle, meant that Donal McDermott had to check back and play the ball out-wide to Joe Rafferty, who’s first time cross picks out Donal McDermott, who’s header roughly eight yards out goes wide of Stuart Nelson’s Left Hand Post - but only just wide as we thought that effort on goal had hit the back of the net.

FIFTY FIVE MINUTES - Corner for Rochdale, and Michael Rose’s dangerous in-swinging cross is aimed towards the near post and Joe Bunney flicks the ball on and Oliver Lancashire almost makes contact with the ball at the far post, from there, Bradley Garmston does extremely well to run in possession of the ball down the left flank and win Gillingham a corner kick as Nathaniel Mendez-Laing tracks back and does his defensive duties for Rochdale.

FIFTY EIGHT MINUTES - Again Rochdale look a threat in the wide area’s as Callum Camps is capable of travelling in possession of the ball (the type of player that Gillingham really do lack in midfield) and Callum Camps plays the ball back to Donal McDermott, who’s early cross is won in the air by Max Ehmer, but the second ball falls kindly to Jamie Allen, who’s volleyed effort on goal goes out for a Gillingham Throw on, deep in our final third.

SIXTY FOUR MINUTES - Rochdale create two decent goal-scoring opportunities in quick succession as the hosts are pushing for the second goal which would probably secure all three points for Rochdale if Rochdale were to double there lead, Jamie Allen gets to an loose ball ahead of Josh Wright before going on an driving run forward in possession And Jamie Allen’s low cross almost picks out Donal McDermott at the far post, but the cross from Jamie Allen just had too much zip on it, and the ball goes out of play.

But it is the second of these goal-scoring opportunities which is the more threatening effort on goal as Stuart Nelson is forced to make an save, Rochdale have an throw on down the right side of the pitch and Joe Rafferty throws the ball down the line to Callum Camps, who skilfully goes past Max Ehmer before playing the ball inside to Joe Bunney, who plays the ball out-wide to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, who plays the ball inside to Callum Camps, who plays an short pass back to Joe Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, and The Rochdale Winger plays the ball out-wide to Joe Bunney, who whips in an sensational cross which just about clears Callum Camps and Max Ehmer’s head, but that cross from Joe Bunney was on target and Stuart Nelson had to dive low to make the save and Adedeji Oshilaja had to get the ball clear and away from danger - that was very close and I thought Rochdale had scored from that cross / shot effort from Joe Bunney.

SIXTY FIVE MINUTES - Another goal-scoring opportunity for the hosts as Rochdale came very close to doubling there advantage, Joe Rafferty’s long throw down the line is retained by Donal McDermott, who skilfully goes past Max Ehmer and goes on a incredible run towards goal and Bradley Garmston’s sliding challenge was dangerous as Bradley Garmston could of conceded an penalty, Donal McDermott shapes up to shot and The Rochdale Midfielder see’s his effort on goal saved by Stuart Nelson, and the follow up effort from Callum Camps fails to hit the target - Gillingham looked an complete mess at the back, as Donal McDermott was just allowed to run into Gillingham’s Penalty Area and get a shot away on goal.

SEVENTY FOUR MINUTES – Jermaine McGlashan losses possession of the ball to Peter Vincenti, who plays the ball back to Michael Rose, who kicks the ball down the line and Michael Rose’s long ball forward has too much power and runs through to Stuart Nelson, and Stuart Nelson was considering throwing the ball out-wide to Bradley Garmston, before kicking the ball long down-field, Luke Norris was clearly penalised by Joe Rafferty and no foul was given by Referee Kevin Wright as Callum Camps runs forward in possession of the ball, Callum Camps has the pace to run away from Bradley Garmston, take up a more central position and square the ball to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, who plays the ball out-wide to Peter Vincenti, who plays the ball back to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, who has hit a curling effort just wide of Stuart Nelson’s left hand post when we all thought that effort on goal from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing had hit the back of the net – COME ON GILLS – Was my response as it felt like Gillingham were delaying the inevitable and that Rochdale were going to score that crucial second goal which will seal all three points for the hosts.

SEVENTY SEVEN MINUTES – Another goal-scoring opportunity again for Rochdale as Rochdale are still pressing for that all important second goal, Peter Vincent has made a real difference since coming on as the Rochdale Midfielder retains possession of the ball before playing the ball out-wide to Joe Bunney, who takes a touch, cuts inside past Adedeji Oshilaja and see’s his first time shot blocked by John Egan, Peter Vincenti wins the second ball, but Adedeji Oshilaja is quick to the knock-down and plays the ball forward to Bradley Dack, who plays the ball out-wide to Jermaine McGlashan, who uses his pace to go past Michael Rose, and The Rochdale Midfielder’s challenge on Jermaine McGlashan was very reckless, and how Michael Rose wasn’t punished for that reckless challenge we had no idea.

EIGHTY ONE MINUTES – Jake Hessenthaler is booked for persistent fouling on Peter Vincenti and we applauded Jake Hessenthaler as he prevented Rochdale from hitting Gillingham on the counter attack, and Rochdale almost scored from the resulting free kick as Michael Rose’s high free kick towards the far post almost picks out Peter Vincenti, and John Egan is quick to react and stabs the ball out of play for a corner kick, Michael Rose’s in-swinging corner kick is gathered by Stuart Nelson, and that save from Stuart Nelson relieved the pressure building up on Gillingham’s Goal.

EIGHTY THREE MINUTES – Adedeji Oshilaja climbs all over the back of Peter Vincenti and Rochdale have another free kick in a dangerous area on the pitch, Michael Rose’s dangerous in-swinging cross from the resulting free kick is headed towards goal by Calvin Andrew, and Stuart Nelson spills the ball wide of the far post, a very unconvincing save from Stuart Nelson, but as long as the ball doesn’t hit the back of the net, then we don’t mind how Stuart Nelson keeps the ball out – thankfully Stuart Nelson redeem’s himself from the resulting corner by gather another in-swinging cross from Michael Rose.

EIGHTY NINE MINUTES – Peter Vincenti has looked dangerous for Rochdale since coming on, thankfully his curling effort on target wasn’t more accurate and Stuart Nelson was forced into a routine save, our nerves were going through the roof with these late chances for Rochdale, we could only imagine what it was like for The Gillingham Supporters who were listening to the game or following the game on Twitter.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 am

CHANCES FOR GILLINGHAM…………….

FOUR MINUTES -
Gillingham’s first goal-scoring opportunity after four minutes was created after an dreadful defensive error from Rochdale, Gillingham have an throw on deep in our half of the pitch, and Max Ehmer throws the ball down the line and Luke Norris flicks the ball on and Bradley Dack gets to the loose ball first and Ashley Eastman fouls Bradley Dack right on the halfway line as Ashley Eastham’s challenge was deemed reckless enough from Referee Kevin Wright, I thought that Bradley Dack had played the ball off Ashley Eastham to win a throw on for Gillingham, so I was surprised to see the free kick given in Gillingham’s Favour.

Max Ehmer went over to take the resulting free kick and Max Ehmer’s high ball into Rochdale’s Penalty Area goes all the way through to Josh Lillis, as Ashley Eastham ducked to allow the ball to run all the way through to The Rochdale Goalkeeper, Josh Lillis rolls the ball out-wide to Joe Rafferty, who plays the ball back to Josh Lillis, and The Rochdale Goalkeeper kicks the ball long down-field and John Egan wins the aerial challenge on the halfway line and the ball runs through to Joe Lafferty, whom plays an dreadful back-pass back to Josh Lillis as Bradley Dack gets on to the loose back-pass, and Bradley Dack is one on one with The Rochdale Goalkeeper and Bradley Dack’s first time effort is brilliantly saved by the out-rushing Josh Lillis and Gillingham won’t get an better goal-scoring opportunity then that all game – maybe Bradley Dack could of lifted the ball over The Rochdale Goalkeeper, but I thought Bradley Dack did everything right by going for goal with an first time effort and you have to give Josh Lillis credit for making an sensational save.

TWENTY EIGHT MINUTES - Josh Wright times his challenge on Nathaniel Mendez-Laing to perfection and the momentum of the challenge meant that Nathaniel Mendez-Laing kneed Josh Wright and Josh Wright needed treatment from the physio, Rochdale Supporters started chanting “CHEAT, CHEAT, CHEAT” But a lot of professional journalism have speaking about the seriousness of concussion in football and head injuries, and the days of Terry Butcher playing on with an blood-wound are firmly in the past - Josh Wright had to leave the field of play, but I also would like to see a rule introduced that the player who conceded the foul for the player to go off injured should also be made to stand on the sidelines, until that player returns to the pitch after recovering from injury, or is substituted, because Gillingham now had an numerical disadvantage.

FORTY ONE MINUTES - A rare attacking opportunity as Gillingham have a corner kick just before half time - what a time to score if Gillingham were to put the ball in the back of the net right now - Bradley Dack’s in-swinging cross from the resulting corner kick bounces on the six yard line as Ashley Eastham and John Egan both compete for the ball, and John Egan reacts to the second ball first, as John Egan’s over-head kick gets the ball over Joe Rafferty’s head and Luke Norris’s looping header can only clear the crossbar - great chance for The Gills and we could of done with that goal-scoring opportunity hitting the back of the net.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:46 am

SECOND HALF

FIFTY FOUR MINUTES - After that goal-scoring opportunity from Donal McDermott, Gillingham responded with an goal-scoring opportunity of our own, Stuart Nelson kicks the ball long down-field and Luke Norris wins the aerial challenge up against Ashley Eastham and the ball drops into Aaron Morris’s path, who runs forward in possession of the ball and plays the ball forward to Bradley Dack, who plays the ball back to Luke Norris, and Luke Norris skips past Jamie Allen’s challenge and fires an low shot on target which is routinely saved by Josh Lillis - an good effort from Luke Norris but that shot lacked the power to match the accuracy of the strike.

SIXTY MINUTES - PENALTY APPEAL - Right on the hour mark and Gillingham had an huge penalty shout turned down, Ryan Jackson’s long throw into Rochdale’s Penalty Area causes Rochdale a lot of problems and Joe Rafferty headers the ball clear, and Aaron Morris headers the ball back into Rochdale’s Penalty Area and Oliver Lancashire headers the ball clear and Jim McNulty wins the ball in the middle of the park, flicks the ball over John Egan’s header and kicks the ball down the line leaving a foot race between Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Max Ehmer, and Max Ehmer tried shielding the ball out of play for a throw on but Nathaniel Mendez-Laing keeps the ball in play, but Max Ehmer shows great strength to prevent The Rochdale Winger from getting on to the loose ball and Max Ehmer kicks the ball long down-field.

Joe Rafferty is forced to do the same as Bradley Dack closes The Rochdale Right Back Down, but Joe Rafferty’s Clearance goes right in the centre of the pitch and puts Rochdale under a lot of pressure as Aaron Morris headers the ball forward to Bradley Dack, and Bradley Dack plays the ball out-wide to Ryan Jackson, who see’s his low cross deflect off Michael Rose and Oliver Lancashire has to scoop to header the ball clear, but the chance is still there for The Gills, as Jim McNulty’s clearance was poor and Josh Wright plays the ball back out-wide to Ryan Jackson, and Ryan Jackson was clearly impeded by Donal McDermott inside Rochdale’s Penalty Area and that looked a clear penalty to me - another controversial talking point that us Gillingham Supporters had to talk about because it is an decision that will affect the out-come of this match one way or another.

SEVENTY EIGHT MINUTES – GOAL – After surviving sustained pressure from the hosts, Gillingham equalise in The Seventy Eighth Minute, after that reckless challenge from Michael Rose, Bradley Dack goes across to take the resulting free kick and Bradley Dack’s high and hanging cross from the resulting free kick is flicked on by Luke Norris, and Oliver Lancashire headers the ball clear and away from danger, but Max Ehmer gets to the loose ball first and flicks the ball back into Luke Norris’s path, and Luke Norris plays the ball out-wide to Jermaine McGlashan, who stands the ball up to the far post and John Egan wins the aerial challenge up against Ashley Eastham and John Egan headers the ball into the back of the net and Josh Lillis was unable to prevent John Egan from scoring the equaliser – The Gillingham Supporters in The Willbutts Lane Stand made a lot of noise when John Egan scored that equaliser, and could Gillingham push on from here and grab an unlikely winner ???

EIGHTY SIX MINUTES – Having scored the equaliser, John Egan almost scored what could have been the winner for Gillingham, Adedeji Oshilaja throws the ball down the line and Jermaine McGlashan is fouled by Peter Vincenti, no booking for The Rochdale Midfielder, but Gillingham do have a free kick in a promising position on the pitch, Bradley Dack stands over the resulting free kick and pulls the ball back to the edge of Rochdale’s Penalty Area and Josh Wright’s first time effort on goal is blocked by Jim McNulty, Josh Wright gets to the loose ball first and plays the ball out-wide to Jermaine McGlashan and Jermaine McGlashan plays the ball back inside to Josh Wright, who takes a touch, and hits a high and hanging ball into Rochdale’s Penalty Area and John Egan’s looping header is tipped over the crossbar by Josh Lillis – unfortunately Gillingham didn’t test Josh Lillis from the resulting corner kick, but that was the chance from John Egan to score the winner.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:47 am

SUBSTITUTIONS - Neither team made any substitutions at the start of The Second Half, which surprised me as I would of thought that Justin Edinburgh would of made an more attack minded substitution at half time to try and get Gillingham on the front-foot, Rochdale Manager Keith Hill can just send his players out at the start of The Second Half and say “more of the same” as that goal from Callum Camps has given Rochdale the lead precisely when they needed it.

SIXTY ONE MINUTES - After that Ryan Jackson Penalty being turned down by Referee Kevin Wright, Gillingham make an double substitution as Jermaine McGlashan and Cody McDonald come on for Ryan Jackson and Aaron Morris - it’s an double substitution with attacking intentions as Gillingham have to score to get back on to level terms, Ryan Jackson also is struggling for fitness and Jermaine McGlashan gives Gillingham another quick option despite the fact that Jermaine McGlashan isn’t comfortable as an Right Wing Back.

SIXTY NINE MINUTES – Peter Vincenti comes on for Donal McDermott to add additional fire-power to Rochdale’s attack, as Keith Hill is looking for that crucial second goal, all the while the score-line remains at 1-0, there is a chance that Gillingham can still get something from the game, I am surprised to see Peter Vincenti’s name not among the starting line up, because The Twenty Nine Year Old Midfielder is an quality footballer and has scored crucial goals against Gillingham in previous season’s, both for Rochdale and Aldershot Town.

SEVENTY NINE MINUTES AND EIGHTY MINUTES – Grant Holt and Calvin Andrews come on for Joe Bunney and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and clearly Rochdale are looking to knock the ball long and use the physicality of there two experienced strikers to cause John Egan, Adedeji Oshilaja and Max Ehmer problems with any long ball into Gillingham’s Penalty Area, looking at Calvin Andrew and Grant Holt, you can tell that there the type of striker Gillingham are missing, an experienced physical striker who can play as A Target-Man – Luke Norris tries his best to play as A Target-Man and he does provide Gillingham with a focal point in attack, but Luke Norris isn’t a traditional number nine.

NINETY ONE MINUTES – Jake Hessenthaler was substituted and Emmanuel Osadebe came on to make a late substitute appearance for The Gills, good thing Justin Edinburgh kept that final substitution spare so that Gillingham could replace Jake Hessenthaler and not go down to ten men.

TRAFFIC

I got on The Kings Ferry Coach just before 12.30PM and I completely forgot that I had already booked myself on The Kings Ferry Coach, but it really was touch and go if I was going to make it on to the coach in time for the trip to Rochdale because of an potential clash with an Interview, The Kings Ferry Coach didn’t get moving until 1PM as Peter Lloyd and an few others were late getting on to the coach for very understandable reason’s.

Because The Kings Ferry Coach we were on was brand new, this meant that we had USB Plug Chargers in-between the seats - which is an absolute god-send - as that meant I can send tweets and message’s on my phone on the way up to Rochdale and charge my phone so that I don’t have zero battery life when we get to the ground (I had A Spare Battery on me), but The USB Plug Charger meant that I could use my phone for the trip to Spotlands.

Traffic in and around Manchester was busy with rush-hour traffic, fifty mile an hour speed limit’s and road works which meant that lanes were often closed and this added time on to our journey, we did stop off at the service station for over half an hour to use the facilities and buy food and drink, and considering that we left from Priestfield Stadium at 1PM - Getting to Rochdale at 6,30PM is really good going.

TRAVELING BACK

I was disappointed with Rochdale for making Gillingham Supporters walk to The Kings Ferry Coach and cross the four way crossing at the end of the game, Now Me and Diane could walk to The Kings Ferry Coach in just over five minutes, but what about the elderly and disabled supporters who either need walking aid’s or wheelchair’s to move around – an five minute walk for Me and Diane could be an twenty minute walk for someone who needs an walking stick.

Travelling back was a lot easier than travelling to Rochdale (understandable as we would be getting home in the early hour’s in the morning), we stopped off at Peterborough Services at gone 1AM and with McDonalds being refurbished, there was nothing open in the service stations for anyone to get food or drink, thankfully I had a bottle of drink on me on the coach and I wasn’t hungry after that Chip Shop Dinner, but for anyone who did want to get something to eat and drink, they had to go to The ESSO Petrol Station.

On the way back from Peterborough Services, we made good time getting back and we stopped off at The Coach and Horses, Rochester Star Hill, Priestfield Stadium and The Cricketers – which was my stop – I jokingly mentioned to Paul how many people are in Wimpy after we stopped off at The Coach And Horses – no-one was in there of course – but it was gone 3.10AM when I got off The Kings Ferry Coach and Me and Gary were both pleased with the point considering that Gillingham were 1-0 down, and when your losing 1-0 away from home, then you can never be disappointed with a point on your travels – I got back home at 3.30AM and good thing Gillingham got a point As well.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:48 am

FURTHER THOUGHTS

Chip Shop -
The Chip Shop right next to the entrance for away supporters at Spotlands is really nice, A Small Portion Of Chips, Two Jumbo Plain Sausages and A Can of Coke for under a fiver is very good going, compare that to a small cup of Coca Cola served inside the ground which cost me £2, and that’s why you want to buy food and drink outside the ground, some fans like to go to the pub for a pre-match pint or two.

Rochdale Supporters - While we were there, Me and Diane got speaking to a few Rochdale Supporters who thought that these fixtures should be played on A Saturday and Gillingham V Rochdale and Rochdale V Gillingham should be played on A Saturday Afternoon and not A Tuesday Evening - someone at The Football League needs to have a good look at the map of England, and why isn’t The Football League Season extended by an additional two weeks - I often get nods of agreement from opposition Football Supporters who agree that The Football League Season should be extended by a few weeks.

There is an huge cluster of football clubs in The North West, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Everton, Burnley, Preston North End, Blackpool, Fleetwood Town, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Wigan Athletic, Stockport County, Accrington Stanley, Macclesfield Town, Bury and Oldham Athletic - the latter two and Rochdale are separated by just two miles and I was curious to know what the attendances were like this season for these matches, apparently Bury didn’t bring as many to Spotlands as they did previously, but anyone who supported The Lower League Clubs deserved a lot of credit - because there are a lot of clubs on Rochdale’s doorstep.

I mentioned that we have a similar problem with West Ham renting The New Olympic Stadium and The High Speed Link makes it so easy for supporters to get to Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, QPR, Fulham and Charlton Athletic on our door-step, but in-terms of the cluster of clubs on our door-step it really is night and day, as Gillingham have the entire county of Kent as we’re the only Professional Football League Club - that might change if Dover Athletic get promoted - and a lot of people support Gillingham as an second team.

There are big similarities between Rochdale and Gillingham - we both have had Manager’s and Players who have come back to the club for second and maybe third spells, Peter Taylor has come back to Gillingham to manage The Gills and the Rochdale Supporters we were speaking to mention that Keith Hill has a job for life at Rochdale if he wants it, and Grant Holt has gone back to Rochdale as well, currently in the squad Adedeji Oshilaja, Max Ehmer, Bradley Garmston, Josh Wright, Andrew Crofts, and Cody McDonald have had more then one spell at the club - I know Bradley Garmston and Max Ehmer made there loan moves permanent in the summer but I have included them on this list, it is amazing how Manager’s and Players just suit certain clubs, it didn’t work for Keith Hill at Barnsley, but both spells at Rochdale have been an success for a manager who deserves his success - as we also got speaking about The 2008 / 2009 season where Gillingham played Rochdale four times, and they were the best footballing team in League Two that season - and trying to pass your way rather then kick you way out of League Two deserves to be applauded.

UNUSUAL MOMENTS

Play is stopped twice within three minutes, the first time play is stopped is so that Nathaniel Mendez-Laing can receive some treatment - although it has to be said that The Rochdale Winger went to the floor theatrically underneath Ryan Jackson’s challenge, that isn’t unusual, but the second stoppage in play see’s The Fourth Official Replace The Linesman as The Linesman picks up an injury and needed to be substituted.
fan_of_mulligan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:31 pm

Very nice (phew) but here is a simple question ( other than the one that says how Mrs Fanny Mulligan do you have so much time on your hands, ) will someone, anyone, tell me why have we been playing like crap since the Barnsley game in the middle of Feb ??
gillsfan1066

Previous

Return to Match Discussions