[ 30 Aug 16 ] GILLS v Luton Match Thread (cup)

All discussions and stats for each Gills match.

Man of the match

Poll ended at Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:29 pm

Stuart Nelson
No votes
Max Ehmer
No votes
Josh Pask
No votes
Mitchell Dickenson
No votes
Elliott List
No votes
Emmanuel Osadebe
No votes
Darren Oldaker
No votes
Jake Hessenthaler
No votes
Bradley Dack
No votes
Cody McDonald
No votes
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
No votes
Jamie O'Hara
No votes
Rory Donnelly
No votes
Bradley Stevenson
No votes

Total votes : 0

[ 30 Aug 16 ] GILLS v Luton Match Thread (cup)

Postby Garawa » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 pm

The Gills have only met Luton once since March 2009 and that was a 2-1 win in this competition.

This is the 3rd meeting between the sides in the Football League Trophy. The Gills won the previous 2 (Oct 2015 and Oct 2007).

Luton lead the wins 28 to 18 and a further 13 ended in draws. Both sides have won 1 of the last 2 meetings at Priestfield.

The Gills last played a group game in this competition back in the 1995/6 season when they finished bottom in a group with Cardiff and Hereford.

7.30 KICK-OFF - Checkatrade EFL Trophy Southern Group H

GOAL! Gillingham 0-1 Luton Town: Musonda

GOAL! Gillingham 0-2 Luton Town: Smith

8.17 Half-time: 0-2

The second half kicks off

GOAL! Gillingham 1-2 Luton Town: Oldaker

9.23 FULL-TIME: 1-2
Millwall 2-0 West Brom U23

Attendance: 2,128 (137)
Referee: John Busby
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: [ 30 Aug 16 ] GILLS v Luton Match Thread (cup)

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Gills play their first game in the revamped Football League Trophy.Luton Town are the first opponents in the Group stage,which is now part of the competition.I did think they wanted us to play less games a season,but the new format means more games.I have always enjoyed going to the Football league trophy games,as it was a nice little trophy with a chance to reach Wembley and win a Trophy.Now they have added B Teams from the Premier League and the Championship.Like many I will not be going to any of these games until B Teams are no longer allowed in the competition,that includes even if we made it to Wembley.I'm pleased to see many other fans are doing this as well.I still want us to win every one of the games,but cannot support the competition with the new format allowing B Teams in.Hopefully all the B Teams are knocked out before the latter stages,so a Football League Team wins it.

What would be your Team? Nelson is definitely starting after hearing Edinburgh's post match interview Saturday.You have to play six players from your previous match.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:46 pm

I think Gillingham will line up as follows.......................

------------------------------------Nelson---------------------------------------
Jackson--------------Ehmer--------------------Oshilaja-----------------Konchesky
------------------------------------Wright-----------------------------------------
------------------Hessenthaler-----------------Oldaker---------------------------
-------------------------------------Dack-------------------------------------------
---------------------Donnelly-----------------Emmanuel-Thomas-----------------

Subs: Bond (GK), M.Dickenson, O'Hara, Byrne, Osadebe, List, Mbo

So My following changes to comply with Football League Trophy Rules are as follows,,,, IN: Stuart Nelson, Ryan Jackson, Jake Hessenthaler, Darren Oldaker, Bradley Dack and Rory Donnelly OUT: Jonathan Bond, Josh Pask, Mark Byrne, Billy Knott, Emmanuel Osadebe and Cody McDonald,,,, I think Billy Knott and Cody McDonald will be given the night off while Josh Pask won't be risked with his back injury so that he will be back in the team for The Sheffield United Game on Sunday.

Changing from Three Centre Back's to The Diamond Midfield Formation worked successfully on Saturday and I can see Bradley Dack starting against Luton Town, as he must be close to fully recovering from his bone bruising injury and I would start Bradley Dack tonight, it would be interesting to see what Darren Oldaker can do from the start while Jake Hessenthaler has seen limited playing time this season, and I am sure that Justin Edinburgh see's this game as the chance to give Jake Hessenthaler a starting role, IF Jamie O'Hara is in the squad this evening, then he will make an appearance from the substitutes bench in the same-way he came on against Swindon Town two week's a go.

Last Season, Gillingham fought back from a goal down to win 2-1, the same result this evening will do nicely - COME ON THE GILLS!!!!!!!!!
fan_of_mulligan

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:54 pm

I only had the Twitter live text on Twitter,but seemed a poor performance with a Team a lot stronger than Luton`s.Again we have conceded the first goal in a game,and defending seemed poor for the goals.The main positive is Oldaker scoring his first professional goal in Football,hopefully he can build on that.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Wish I knew what we had at GFC this year, yesterdays loss against Luton and the Gills playing a younger side than normal makes me think no one really treats this competition very seriously.
I guess we will find out in the month of September with games against Sheffield, Bradford, Port Vale and Coventry, throw in a game against Spurs and it should turn out to be one hell of a fun month .
Sheffield and Coventry have only one win between them from ten games, lets hope it stays that way, and we need to take points from Bradford and P V so they don't open that gap at the top of the table and were playing catch up after Christmas. GO GILLS
gillsfan1066

Return to Match Discussions