The Hidden Hungry on TV

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Re: The Hidden Hungry on TV

Postby Garawa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 am

I have to agree with Elgrande and find myself doing so with a touch of shame knowing that deep down that is probably me. I couldn't see myself working in these places, and if most were honest neither would many on here. If I was desperate and nothing else could be found then I would make the step and work there but I would always be looking elsewhere. There are plenty of these types of jobs available but many (including me) wouldn't consider them. I would like to think I have a lot more to offer with a range of skills but I do accept when I have to return back to work a job that fits them will almost certainly not be available. Starting a fresh at almost 40 fills me with dread!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:07 pm

I worked in hospitality for years and did a management course with Macdonalds which was a real eye opener. If you work for the managed division there is really top quality training and the rewards are pretty good £35,000+ salaries, company car allowance, profit share, pension etc. I also temped for a long time in Oxford and got offered three jobs full time and got plenty of overtime because I was reliable and got stuck in. I think one of the problems is the youngsters want everything too quickly nowdays rather than working their way up the ladder. House share, bedsit, pokey flat, better flat etc.
Lots of the holiday companies are always looking for full time staff; quite often live in as well. The money's not great, but the experience is brilliant and it is something for the CV. The trouble is because they are not high paid jobs no one wants them so the immigrant workers take them until they become the majority. You never see English waiters, chamber maids, KP's etc anymore, when I left catering college it was the norm!
Elgrande

Postby mark8364 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:23 am

I know i had a short spell (4 months) out of work towards the end of 2009, but I have spent the majority of the last 9 years working as a kitchen porter and it has done me now harm. Paid for my wedding etc and other nice things!! The difference I think is I was nearly 40 when I first became a KP, not a job for young people really if they haven't got the enthusiasm to do it! Saying that, at stowe school in Buckingham where I work we have a couple of KP's in there 20's who do it! Their attitude is ''it's a rubbish job, but I take home £930 a month''
mark8364

Postby Rimshot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:26 pm

That's not really the point...Doing A levels and studying for a degree used to be an investment in your future. With student fees and loans at the present levels youngsters who have graduated should feel that a career job, whilst not an entitlement, is at least a legitimate aspiration. If it's affordable, trying for a short term internship might work. I know there are some opportunistic cheapskate companies which abuse them but it is a way to showcase your ability without risk to an employer.

I took my daughter to a university open day at Manchester recently and in the train on the way back ( it was a Saturday afternoon) the young lad in the seat opposite, the girl next to us and my youngster were all doing coursework/homework. They are just examples of kids trying to do the right thing and to dismiss them all as potential fodder for fast food outlets is a betrayal of their hard work.
Rimshot

Postby mark8364 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Is your daughter going to Manchester? My wife went to University in Manchester ahead of several other options and cant speak more highly of the facilities at the University and the great city of Manchester!
mark8364

Postby Elgrande » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Trouble is Rimshot there are more people leaving with "lesser" degrees and not enough jobs to go round. Increasing University places by 200% didn't mean there would be a 200% increase in graduate positions. I agree aspirations are to be applauded, but sometimes expectations outweigh reality and getting some form of work experience is better than waiting for the "perfect" job to come along. It seems that parents and teachers have one opinion and employers and admission Dons have an opposite one. Also a lot of the school leavers i was discussing are not graduates and seem to think anything manual or in the service industries is beneath them.
Elgrande

Postby brb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 am

I did not see the tv programme but just following up on some comments.

The harsh reality is that even people that have paid thousands for their degree, may well end up in a low paid job. I have watched many a discussion with people at university that seem to think the world is going to be their oyster. I wish them the best of luck. However, reality is that it is a lot harsher environment out there then they are ever wise enough to realise.

I feel nothing but pain for some of the conversations I hear or read. The degree may well help you achieve something in life but it is what you do NOW, whilst you are getting that degree, which will be most valuable to you. Remembering this, once you have the qualification, you need the experience. The argument will be well I cannot get the experience without the qualification. I will say if you seriously believe that latter statement, then you might as well give up uni now.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby Rimshot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Mark, no , she hasn't included Manchester in her options. Found the campus far too large and impersonal. Also, on the day the 'help' from students and administrators was truly dreadful.
Sorry but it was the least impressive ( except in scale) of the six unis we went to see.
Rimshot

Postby Elgrande » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 am

Now i will ask a couple of questions that will probably get me harangued, but hey ho. What degree is your daughter going to study for. has she contacted any employers that sponsor or encourage graduautes with that qualification? Once the Uni is decided on will your daughter look to find part time work in the area as well as accommodation?
When I lived in the states this was how many went about things, but it seems less and less students work during University.
Elgrande

Postby Rimshot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Elgrande, she'll be making her own decisions... but almost certainly be in halls of residence year 1 so accommodation not likely to be a problem. She's already well acquainted with the world of work !! Also quite a talented musician so may well be able to supplement the income that way.
I see where your questions are leading ; she's doing History with American Studies, not a vocational subject and I guess in your eyes that would make it worthless. However she will get the chance to spend a year in the USA, she'll get value from exploring her subject, she'll be smarter, more streetwise, more experienced and have learned to communicate original ideas, challenge received wisdom, research a subject, and a lot more besides.

Anyway, its not as if students have to justify their education these days because they have to pay for it.

I hope she will have a great time too !
Rimshot

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Football Discussion