Ooooooh I say!!!

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Ooooooh I say!!!

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Really am slow at getting the hang of this but, using some very handy tools in Google last night, I was able to tell it about the site and and I speak I am being fingered, er crawled, spidered.....whatever the correct terminology is! The result is that the site now appears as a search result within Google and the more clicks and searches people will do, the more it will make its way up the list!

Phew, I need a lie down.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Ooooooh I say!!!

Postby brb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Well done, if the google bot has now found the site, it will normally reappear I think at least every couple of weeks and crawl any updates. If memory serves me correctly it will be a Mountain View, California location ip.

I did a search of this name 'Gillingham FC forum' and you were fifth in the listing behind the well known other forums with a similar name.

Keep up the good work.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Wow, that's improved then! Can't say I knew what I did but after an hour and a half of reading pages from Google's Webmaster Tools one of the things clearly worked! Don't ask me to replicate it though!

Garawa

Postby brb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Garawa wrote:Wow, that's improved then! Can't say I knew what I did but after an hour and a half of reading pages from Google's Webmaster Tools one of the things clearly worked! Don't ask me to replicate it though!

It has picked up your index page (main page) & banner 'The unofficial replacement for the Gills message board and the official home of the Noircat Prediction League' - which makes it look quiet impressive.

To increase traffic and up your profile via people searching their subject criteria, you might want to consider in the future looking at your browser titles if possible. Currently all threads appear as a 'viewtopic' & number for example if I look at the Wimbledon thread it appears as...http://www.gillinghamfcforum.co.uk/view ... p?f=1&t=34 - whereas you may want to consider changes that enable 'Wimbledon' to be included within the browser name or whatever the subject matter maybe, enabling people searching that criteria to have your site appear within it. I think that is how it works. Only passing on my own experiences to help, nothing more mate.
brb

Postby Garawa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 pm

No my all means, everything I have done so far has been after someone somewhere in cyberworld posted the answer! I just wish I understood more about what was being said to me! Do they teach this in schools? This is the new French as far as I am concerned!

There is a bit more work to do in terms of registering other parts of the site and what you mentioned may form part of that, but I generally have 2 noisy children during the day and cannot concentrate and by this stage of the evening all I read is NIONDAIN IOHSDA iHSI hiSOHS hs iHO SHhsOISh!!!!!!

Ha ha.

By the way, I still don't get this smilie thing! I enabled them for the board, to the right everything is set to on, disable smilies is unticked underneath and I see the ones everybody else posts but when I post one i get a hyperlink instead! It happens on every site I use by it didn't on Internet Explorer so I'm wondering if its a Chrome thing? For example I will post a very happy smilie below where I will see a link, do you?
posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=63#

Garawa

Postby brb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Erm, strange. I am just seeing your link. I use Chrome all the time and never have a problem personally with it, although I have used many of the other browsers at some time.

The only time someone has ever asked me about a smiley issue in the past, clearing cookies resolved the problem. It might be something to do with the set up of your coding but at this moment in time have not got a clue what. Type this very basic type and see what happens : - ) you obviously need to join it together and it should appear as a smiley below, which is what I am seeing on my screen from just typing that and not using the ones on the right...

:-)

Also I am guessing I am older than you, so no it was not taught in schools - lol
brb

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Garawa

Postby Garawa » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Yep, that turned into a smilie, just cant use the ones on the right!!!! Weird!

Garawa

Postby lidbid46 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 am

:) :) Just having a go to see what happens! Have internet access now at the hotel I am staying in so feel reconnected to the world after following the game on Twitter, thanks to Gary, yesterday!
lidbid46

Postby Snackboyslim » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Lovely stuff!!
Snackboyslim

Next

Return to Non-Football Discussion