The Energy Rip-off

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Re: The Energy Rip-off

Postby CadburyMan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 am

Governments of all persuasions have had the opportunity to do something about the situation and have chosen to do nothing. Labour in all their years of opposition had a golden opportunity to plan; they had years in power to "DO" and failed. Current gang are in exactly the same position but will we see anything happen ????????

Keep the prolls suppressed seems to be the mantra
CadburyMan

Postby Robpthegills » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Sorry posh....hardly drop of a hat to defend thatcher.

The other poster called it a Greed is Good Thatcher era.....

Am I not allowed to defend that comment then without it being a drop of a hat reaction.

Bearing in mind millions still believe the Thatcher years were good years, and lots of good stuff was done as well as lots of bad stuff.

I have always felt that something as fundamental as Water, Gas and Electricity should be state owned, else our populace could almost be held for ransom. Why is it our water rates increase yet our ability to harvest the water never improves. I dont know.
Robpthegills

Postby sotongill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Rob , as "the other poster" , i mentioned the Thatcher administrations in response to the "tell Sid" comment , but if you read my post again you'll see that i say previous Governments , meaning both sides .

Anyway , think we're both in violent agreement that essential utilities should be state owned to protect the people in this country .
sotongill

Postby Garawa » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:04 pm

I think the actual prices have risen exponentially over the last 2 years or so and is governed by outside forces so I don't think that can be blamed on the government. However they will be equally to blame if they fail to address the situation.

There was an interesting article on the local news this evening. The London Array is the largest wind farm in the world (I think that's what they said) and has just started supplying electricity to the grid. Its been there for years so why it has taken this long I don't know and many more are being added. Which companies own these installations? Surely their prices should decrease as it gets bigger? If these farms were to grow along with solar panels feeding electricity back shouldn't we see prices go down not up? It seems there is an opportunity, one that will almost certainly be wasted.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:59 pm

One big problem during the "golden age" of public ownership was a total lack of investment or accountability. Most water mains pipes are over 50 years old, the gas main system was not updated for years and the electricity grid is outdated. Our electric was due to run at leat 80% underground by the 80's. I agree utilities should be under public ownership, but much more open to public scrutiny and not put back in the hands of the Unions.
Elgrande

Postby Kezz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 am

The tax on fuel answers most of the questions, all leading to the government.
Kezz

Postby brb » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Putting aside political views if we may for one moment. Since my OP, it is very rare where you find a similar general consensus on one topic. So do we not find it strange that successive governments regardless of political party choose to do nothing about it?

So yes we all may ask is it about money, shareholders, public purse, or is it about total government control of the British population without the direct link back to it via the public domain. Maybe all of it in its entirety. Especially when you allow controls over resources such as the basic human need for water again bannered under the favourite liner of resources, to where there should be no profit.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby Elgrande » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Without profit there can be no investment in infrastructure which is exactly what happened under previous public ownership.
Elgrande

Postby Poshgill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:46 pm

They were always profitable (hence even harden Tories called it selling off the family silver) but successive govt did not reinvest into the utilities, they were used to supplement ailing economies. Interesting for Elg to note that they have aging infrastructure is up to 50 years out of date when they have been privatised for almost 30 of those years. Gary. As I stated the previous labour regime did lots wrong but they did keep utility prices down. They so levied massive fines at water companies for failing to fix their infrastructure. Sadly this govt is more keen to point the finger of blame at people on benefits than tackling problems that affect us all.
Poshgill

Postby Elgrande » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:11 pm

They kept the price of utilities down because the cost was lower. I suppose cheaper electric is a bonus though even if you can't afford to buy or rent a decent home!
Elgrande

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Football Discussion