The British Media

Discussion relating to anything not football related

The British Media

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm

How sad that we dont seem to have any responsible reporting nowadays.

I heard today about the tories plans to protect home owners from prosecution if they defended themselves against intruders. This concept was actually first thought of by Tony Blair so its not just a Tory thing it would appear to be an across party thing.

To then hear the ITV sell it on their headlines "Bash a Burglar Policy" really does embarass the station and their reporting.

They seem to have fallen into the same trap as some of the red top rags that go for shock rather than informative news.

How anybody can be against a policy that allows you reasonable grounds of defence is beyond me. As for the pompous chief of the chief officers association that says it has always been that way what a joke. That is what it has always been, but it hasnt been the way the police have interpreted it.
Robpthegills

Re: The British Media

Postby Garawa » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:30 am

I think they have taken a distinctly anti-Tory stance of late anyway. Their political editor rips into Cameron at any given opportunity but not others.

Personally, I don't think the law should change. I think we should be telling judges to be lenient towards householders who defend themselves as they have been previously anyway. I worry that thieves will come tooled up expecting to be killed and act more violently themselves.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby brb » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:20 pm

I just saw the title The British Media and thought don't get me going - lol :D

The media sadly controls most of people's every day lives, trouble is a lot of people don't even realise it!

I never buy any tabloid newspaper and as for the tv media well we have mainly the BBC or Sky, not like that either of them have any government agendas eh? :twisted:

After 3 weeks abroad and not hearing any British news, accept about some royals titties, it just goes to show how important we all are on our little tiny island :roll:

Now if you don't mind, I must go as I have someone to batter who has inadvertently walked into my back garden claiming to be a parcel delivery guy...
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Lol,lol, good one brb, lmao, lol, still laughing lol. But that is the problem. I was in a State where probably a 1/5 of the population carries firearms, TV report comes on with security camera footage, guy tries to kill someone in the restaurant (argument or something) grannies jumping up grabbing their Smith and Westerns out of their handbags blasting away at anything that moved,people diving under tables , made the Gun Fight at the OK Coral look like a kids afternoon picnic. Reason NOT to let people carry fire arms.
On the other hand this young wife (I think she was 19) with a six month old baby alone in her home, had lost her husband the previous week to cancer, hears the local thugs, obviously drunk trying to break into her place to have some "fun"
Calls the police who can not get there for ten minutes. Says she has her husbands hunting rifle in the home and what should she do? Put her on hold, contact the local Chief of Police and in 15 seconds he comes on says stay calm don't fire untill they are in the house, then shoot to kill. She puts the kid in it's bed , stands in the hall and when they run in blasts them to hell, where they belong. Big cheers all round.
!9 years old, just lost your husband, killed two guys she actualy vaguely knew,still it must be hard to sleep at night.
gillsfan1066

Return to Non-Football Discussion