Swimming pool lifeguards...

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Swimming pool lifeguards...

Postby Snackboyslim » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:10 pm

What a bunch of bored, miserable looking people just desperate for something to happen. Has anyone in their life ever seen a swimming pool lifeguard who looks remotely content or interested in what they're doing??

I almost felt the need to pretend my son and I were having difficulties just to give them something to do bless them.
Snackboyslim

Re: Swimming pool lifeguards...

Postby Robpthegills » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:49 am

When I was at school one of my best friends called Gwyneth had enormous knockers. Whenever we went swimming all the life guards seemed very alert and attentive :)
Robpthegills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:30 pm

I think there are lots of jobs like that ,Policeman, Fireman, people trained to look heroic, saving people roaring through the streets with sirens blaring (not the life guards ) but of course in the real world the fireman spends more time cleaning and polishing then fighting fires, policemen spend more time eating donuts and drinking coffee than catching bad guys, and those people who go to the pool and won't drown on a regular basis drive me nuts, whats a lifeguard to do all day, just blow that dam whistle at 6year olds having fun and splashing each other ?
gillsfan1066

Postby brb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 pm

I do not pretend to know anything about the training of life guards. However, having experienced the sad events of young unknown lad having died in a swimming pool, I offer the following life lessons from my experience.

These are my four own personal observations:

1. The concentration of a life guard is paramount. It takes a few seconds for things to go wrong and a few minutes for it to become a life and death situation. If a life guard is not being changed at regular intervals then question the level of concentration, in these usually warm and humid environments.
2. Heed particular caution in packed swimming areas.
3. Observe your child at all times if presence of a wave machine.
4. Inflatables offer a false sense of security and can in fact cost you your life in a bathing area - to many inflatables can hide a drowning person, floating just under the surface of the water.

Any combination of 2, 3 & 4 combined with a life guard lacking concentration or maybe just not seeing an incident can be fatal, when an unexpected situation arises.

Sorry but that is reality and an experience that will certainly live with me forever.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
brb

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

Sorry to hear that BRB, that is awfull and we all know terrible things like this do happen.

I'm in no way mocking them, I admire them for what they do, for if my child had got into difficulties, or I did, it would be the very same people that I'd rely on.

But they still all look so bored and miserable the poor sods and it seems the highlight of their day is one of the points you've covered alreay.. The change over.
Snackboyslim

Return to Non-Football Discussion