RIP David Bowie

Discussion relating to anything not football related

RIP David Bowie

Postby Garawa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:05 pm

2 days on now and it still feels a big shock. I rank him far higher than the Beatles purely as he redefined music over decades rather than in the space of just a few years. Looking at all the accolades that have come in the time since and it is clear how far and wide his influence was and in some artists you really wouldn't normally put together. Not a bad word anywhere it seems. Just how conscious was he to not only write an album whilst dying, but ensure it was released just before his death, that a single from it would be him singing his own epitaph and releasing photos all as a final swan-song come goodbye for the fans. Not sure there is anybody like him!

Anybody over the age 20 probably grew up with his music. I was 6 when "Let's dance" was released and I played it soooo many times whist "Ashes to Ashes" was the song that intrigued and gripped me even to this day. Shame most celebrities weren't more like him!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: RIP David Bowie

Postby lidbid46 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:06 pm

Diamond Dogs and Hunky Dory for me, although 'I'm a laughing Gnome' is a guilty pleasure! Tried to buy the last album but all sold out; has anyone heard it yet?
lidbid46

Postby Garawa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:39 pm

I have the laughing gnome on 7" somewhere! Odd it never appears on any of his greatest hits compilations ha ha.

Can't believe we lost Alan Rickman a couple of days later in the same circumstances. Same cause, same age.

Garawa

Postby bunburygills » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:06 am

Sorry Garawa, I know he was big but he did nothing for me. Apart from his "ground control to major Tom"', I couldn't tell you anything else he sang. Good job we're all different or else no-one else would get a look in.
bunburygills

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 pm

The legends keep on going,R.I.P.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:31 pm

I was born in 1976 so Ashes to Ashes and Let's Dance were 2 very iconic 80s songs that just lived with me forever. Do love Modern Love, Absolute Beginners, China Girl and the collaborations as well.....massive songs!

Garawa

Return to Non-Football Discussion