MIRANDA

Discussion relating to anything not football related

MIRANDA

Postby Rimshot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Will someone please explain the alleged popularity of this show ? Is it simply that Sun readers watch it for light relief from the intellectual rigours of their daily read or do we have extra-terrestrials who cannot see the 'jokes' coming a million miles away ?
Posh, you are the resident site student of Comedy, please tell me I'm not missing something deeply ironic, witty and inventive here.
Rimshot

Re: MIRANDA

Postby Garawa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I've never watched it but when was the last time we truely had a sitcom that was un-missable. ITV hasn't produced one in decades and the BBC well below their usual standards. Has our comedic taste changed or are there no great comedy writers of the John Sullivan mould anymore?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kezz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Thank goodness someone else feels the same way as me! I was beginning to think I was the only one who doesn't find her funny! To me, she has just ripped off Jennifer Saunders!
Kezz

Postby Kezz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:58 pm

Gaz , have you seen " Great Night Out" on ITV , Friday night at 9pm? Very funny about a group of 30 something Stockport County friends. Proper chuckle!
Kezz

Postby Poshgill » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 am

Agree about Miranda but even more baffling for me is the popularity of Mrs Brown's boys. Peurile schoolboy humour that would not have been out of place 40 years ago. I really cannot understand the British obsession with men dressing up as women. Might have been amusing post-war. I thought we were a bit more sophisticated now. Recent comedies of any note are few and far between but I do like 'Not Going out' with Lee Mack and Tim Vine. Very funny.
Poshgill

Postby Rimshot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:35 am

I think there's a whole generation of viewers whose comedic taste is derived from happy slaps and the crass comments/vids they exchange through various forms of social media. Miranda's 'technique' of talking to camera is not so much a revival of the Shakespearean tradition as a necessary device to warn the knuckle-dragging audience that a 'joke' is coming.
Slapstick is a very difficult art ...absolutely anyone can fall off a stall, so to do it and make it funny isn't so easy.

Personally I'd enter Miranda for the Grand National; she'd be quite unobtrusive and it might actually be funny if she fell at Beecher's.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:13 am

No I haven't seen that programme Kezz although I meant to record it (kind of recording a bit too much though presently and now catch-up tv is for everyone on Sky we can now see all 5 programmes aired at 9pm on Sundays!!!!!!!!!!) Is it an old fashioned sitcom though Kezz or a comdey drama as I think this genre has improved greatly.

Posh I love "Not Going Out" as well. It is the last of what I alluded to however doesn't sit in the 8pm family viewing section though. But then nothing does. Perhaps we need a swear word or two and maybe Rimshot is right, our taste has moved on simply by what is viewable on the playground these days.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to Non-Football Discussion