The Book Thread

Discussion relating to anything not football related

The Book Thread

Postby fan_of_mulligan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:25 am

What Books are you currently reading at the moment ???

What Books do you recommend to other book lovers to read ???

What Books which have come out at the moment that you want to buy and read for yourself ???

And finally, do you prefer reading books on The Kindle or do you prefer buying a book from WHS Smiths, Waterstones and other book selling stores ???
fan_of_mulligan

Re: The Book Thread

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Still has to be paper but then I am just a luddite
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:19 pm

We're having worked done at the back of the house and hopefully will provide a bit of space away from battling kids! One thing I am looking forward to is grabbing a book or a paper and enjoying it in the garden (too much effort was required before). I just couldn't see myself picking up an electrical device to do the same thing!

It will probably be non-fiction (wonder if the GFC Gems have a book out, a behind the scenes fly on the wall would be good ;-)) so I have no comment on books to read but all I would say is don't read the Lord of the Rings books if you like the programme as you will end up with too many spoilers!!!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:17 pm

I don't really read books,but I would much rather hold a book and read it,than read it on a Kindle.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:07 pm

I spend half my working life reading reports, so when I get home only thing I read is the latest copy of "BIG ENS" , " PLAYBOY" and "JJEEZZZ ARE THEY REAL", the back of a beer bottle and a few golf magazines, can not remember the last time I read a REAL book.
gillsfan1066

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

So now you have hit a nerve! Books are my other passion apart from Gills, (and Mrs L of course), and my house is full of them. I have recently had an extension built and was lucky enough to be able to turn our old dinning room into a 'library.' It is great to have a room dedicated to all our books which has had the knock on effect of making space in all the other rooms. The few Gillingham related books are all good to own to look up things now half forgotten. I am a history fanatic so many of my books are to do with various wars. There are some excellent books about Waterloo out at the moment - Dan and John Snow have co-written a really interesting project book which is full of information. I have over 100 books on cricket which some people would say is 100 too many, but luckily Mrs L is very tolerant and also shares a love of the noble game. If novels are your thing, try 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak which is so much better than the film. Other books which I have recently enjoyed include, 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton, The Taliban Cricket Club' by Timeri N Murari and 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks. I could on but this is a football forum after all! As for books v Kindles; I do have a Kindle which is brilliant for holidays, the train etc, but there is nothing like a real book in my opinion.
lidbid46

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Just re-read the Stieg Larssen trilogy - in good old fashioned paper format
Last edited by CadburyMan on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
CadburyMan

Postby bunburygills » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 am

After reading the forum and ploughing through FOM's match reports, there's not a lot of time left to read a book.However, I'm just finishing Mao's last Dancer which I've found fascinating. We did a two week guided tour of 5 cities in China last November and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves so the book has some relevance.
bunburygills

Postby Rimshot » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:58 am

Bought my daughter the Harpur Lee 'follow-up' book, 'Go set a Watchman'; despite the mixed reviews she is enjoying it and I'm waiting for my turn. It can't possibly match 'To Kill a Mockingbird' but I'm looking forward to it.
Rimshot

Postby lidbid46 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:21 am

You may be in for a surprise! Different from TKAMB but intense and thought provoking. Not a comfortable read but a page turner; that's for sure!
lidbid46

Next

Return to Non-Football Discussion