Todays the Day

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Todays the Day

Postby Elgrande » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 am

When for some reason people are allowed to sing songs about killing British Soldiers and glorifying terrorists in many pubs and sing racist songs about hating and despising the Brits. For some reason as opposed to football fans or right of centre political parties these racist and inflammatory songs will be ignored and in many cases glorified by the stupid and those that think it is all about Guinness.
Sits back and waits!!!
Elgrande

Re: Todays the Day

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Where does all this happen then?
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:45 pm

At many of the St Patricks day "celebrations". I wonder if they know he was Welsh?
Elgrande

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:25 am

Biggest parade in the UK was in Birmingham; there was not a single report of the behaviour you cite.
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 pm

Go into the real Irish pubs and bars that night and I will guarantee it did. The parades are loads of people; non Irish in the main for some reason celebrating an alien Saint. It just always amazes me that when the English try to do the same it is frowned upon to say the least. I have been in pubs in Kilburn when the collection tin did the rounds for "the boys" as they listened to songs about the Rebel Cause. Too many people just choose to ignore that aspect.
Elgrande

Postby Garawa » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:03 pm

Ignore or be ignorant of though? Its amazing how many people go along with things and then nearly pass out when you tell them what they were actually doing! Classic example is the sharing of Britain First statuses on Facebook, 90% of users don't have the foggiest about what they stand for or who they are supporting. I bet many are Irish "for the night" to get drunk, sing songs they don't know the meaning to and go home. I know a couple of English people who always booked the day off to celebrate it.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Elgrande » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Agree Gary; my point was as much about the fact that if football fans stand in pubs or in a ground and sing about Foxy, Hillsborough, Munich etc they would get arrested or at the least filmed. Do the exact same thing on Paddies day and it is fine?
The rest of the ballyhoo with green beer and silly hats is almost tolerable if people didn't get all precious when St George's day is celebrated. All this about it being taken over is just a smoke screen.
Elgrande

Postby Garawa » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:38 pm

That in itself has been taken over somewhat. I would imagine the very far right will have claimed St George's Day for themselves but I can't remember the last time it was celebrated as a national day anywhere....at school, local events or anything. Sad really. Perhaps that's why many English people enjoy St Patricks Day so much.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby CadburyMan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:48 pm

I think you've pitched it exactly right Gary; as a nation we barely acknowledge 23 April but we tolerate 17 March and enter the Spirit of the day in a totally unpolitical way - mines a pint of the black stuff. ;-)
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:03 pm

I'll have mine without the detonator and Gerry Adams thanks!
Elgrande

Next

Return to Non-Football Discussion