Todays the Day

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Re: Todays the Day

Postby CadburyMan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:26 pm

When does a "freedom fighter" become a terrorist and then become a "bona fide" politician? That Nelson Mandela was an awfully bad chap
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:53 pm

well we have got there in the end. Gerry Adams is the northern hemispheres version of Mandela. So if I stand somewhere tomorrow and sing about killing Bobby Sands it will be Ok. As for N.M. I wonder how much the lives of the average non indigenous South African has improved over the last 20 years?
CM: all I was trying to say / ask is why so many English join in singing Rebel songs and even putting money in the tin on a day where those that don't like us celebrate in song `killing our troops?
Elgrande

Postby Garawa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:17 am

Probably because it goes back to my point about being ignorant to it all. Many might be early twenty-somethings on a usual "night out" that never experienced the bombings we endured. We get all antagonistic when we see the endless lies about how a Muslim person wanted Peppa Pig banned or how another was allowed to push in at a supermarket queue but ignore what ACTUALLY happened back in the 80s with a country next door.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby CadburyMan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Not sure that many/any English folk do join in with the singing. Can't remember the last time I heard a rousing chorus of Kevin Barry.

Where I have a concern is that Ireland is a country invaded and colonised by England/Scotland and we are surprised that people still have the temerity to seek their "freedom". just because the takeover was back in the days of Cromwell there is no diminution of the ultimate goal of liberation from colonial rule
Last edited by CadburyMan on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:30 am

Based on that we should still hate the Italians and the Normans.
Elgrande

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:47 pm

I do, hahaha, mainly thanks to Mr Harris my teacher for two years at Arden Street School, who used to tell the class that more Italians were killed running away as he and the 8th Army marched across North Africa , than ever were killed fighting.
As far as the Normans / French,especially the French go ,those cowards gave up in every war the first day fighting broke out,ask Mr Harris if you don't beleive me and if the Normans hadn't played dirty by pretending to run away then turned on Harolds troops and cut them down we would never have had them ruling us, so I hate them both, lol,lol, don't go much on the Japanese either,all that raw fish, ugh lol.
gillsfan1066

Postby CadburyMan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 pm

& maybe that's the reason the Irish should hate the British too. That Mr Cromwell wasn't really such a nice guy
CadburyMan

Postby Elgrande » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:52 pm

I should have said the Romans.
I surrender CM; the rules are obviously different for different people and the English are all horrible people who have no rights and should accept every insult and hate filled song and action with impunity!
Elgrande

Postby sotongill » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 pm

gillsfan1066 wrote:I do, hahaha, mainly thanks to Mr Harris my teacher for two years at Arden Street School, who used to tell the class that more Italians were killed running away as he and the 8th Army marched across North Africa , than ever were killed fighting.
As far as the Normans / French,especially the French go ,those cowards gave up in every war the first day fighting broke out,ask Mr Harris if you don't beleive me and if the Normans hadn't played dirty by pretending to run away then turned on Harolds troops and cut them down we would never have had them ruling us, so I hate them both, lol,lol, don't go much on the Japanese either,all that raw fish, ugh lol.

Probably not really for this thread 1066 , but remember Mr Harris and his teaching topics/style well - I'd have real difficulty in explaining it to my son-in-law , who teaches the same age group nowadays , but I think it was common in Post-war Primary schools . But hey , we both survived it , sort of .
sotongill

Postby CadburyMan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:59 am

Like you, Elg, I like to play devil' s advocate but didn't the British invade & colonise Ireland and then forcefully keep the indigenous population in check.

Going back to the beginning of the thread all I wanted to was inject a bit of balance which I hope I've done
Last edited by CadburyMan on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CadburyMan

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Football Discussion