Tour de Kent

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Tour de Kent

Postby Kezz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Mr Kezz, Posh and myself have signed up for this 200 miles cycle around our glorious county, taking in most of our football teams over the 3 days. We're helping to raise money for the CRY charity, (cardiac risk in the young).

Just wondered if anyone else from the board was taking it on?
Kezz

Re: Tour de Kent

Postby Robpthegills » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 pm

I am in on this. My brother in law a gills fan is also going to take part. Should be a good gill's presence and a lot of hard work
Robpthegills

Postby gillsfan1066 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 am

OK I am board, but first I need to know what the CRY is, as in like 2 day old kids needing cardiac treatment, or some fat kid that has munched on Mickey D's three times a day for 6years ? Don't blame him, blame the parents.
TWO HUNDRED miles on a bike ??,SOFT SADDLES RECOMENDED, cycled once to Venice in the school summer holidays , hurt so bad I gave my bike to some guy and phoned the Consulate, told them everything I had but one bag had been stolen, thank you British Consulate, nice train ride home.
Before anyone asked, yes my folks ended up paying like 60 something pounds back to the British Consulate Tea Fund in Venice ,lol, I am being serious they took the money from the tea fund.lol.
Just out of intrest why don't they call it The Tour of Kent, are there lots of french people riding in it ?
gillsfan1066

Postby Poshgill » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:01 pm

My understanding of CRY is to not only catch cardiac problems in the young before it's too late, but also to educate people that youngsters are at risk. Apparently, after Fabrice Muamba had his 'near death' experience at Spurs, lots of clubs initiated cardiac screening process with at least 2 (to my knowledge) young players being detected as having cardiac problems and these necessitating surgery to rectify.

Actually, a soft saddle is the worst thing to have. An ergonomiclly designed saddle with good padded shorts is much better (including a liberal amount of lubricant. I use sudacream and have not suffered from saddle sores.) It is easier to toughen your bum up than it is to break a saddle in.

I think it is Tour de Kent (instead of Tour of Kent) as a bit of a joke. It will be tough (very tough actually) but not as tough as the Tour de France. I'm really looking forward to it. Even more now I know Rob is doing it.
Poshgill

Postby Robpthegills » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks Posh.

On my first bike ride for a while tomorrow (thursday) and will be getting as much in as possible. I am really looking forward to seeing kent from a bike point of view. Few hills send shudders through me (folkestone area is scariest i think) but I am confident we will do it.

Be nice knowing you will be riding alongside Mark Patterson, Andy Hessenthaler and co. Be even nicer to beat them lol
Robpthegills

Postby lidbid46 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 am

Good luck to you all. How do we donate? Can we come and watch?
lidbid46

Postby Kezz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 am

The route is on http://www.tourdekent13.co.uk
There is a donate link on there for the charities but we are planning our own justgiving page, we'll post details as soon as possible. Thanks for your support already. Xx
Kezz

Postby Garawa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Aw! We are away that weekend. I bet the lunch stop will be the The Sportsman pub at Seasalter, would have enjoyed spending the day in there waiting for you all to arrive!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Kezz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 pm

We stop at every football club in the county Gaz. Really looking forward to it!
Kezz

Return to Non-Football Discussion