R.I.P Robin Williams

Discussion relating to anything not football related

R.I.P Robin Williams

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:49 am

It`s very sad that a big part of my childhood has gone now after Robin Williams has died aged 63 of suspected suicide.I thought Robin was a very funny comedian,and actor who brought joy to many with great Films like Mrs Doubtfire,Jumanji,Flubber,Jack,and Good Morning Vietnam.He will be sadly missed.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Re: R.I.P Robin Williams

Postby Elgrande » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:58 pm

One of the saddest things is the way it has been reported by some news sources. He openly spoke about his demons, but still managed to be one of the great talents of his generation and by all reports generous in spirit. One of my heroes ever since his appearances in Happy Days. RIP Robin.
Elgrande

Postby Garawa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:50 pm

It was very sad indeed, especially when taking his role in "What Dreams May Come" into consideration. If we can solve one major illness this century, all forms of mental illness must be at the very top. In his case he battled for so long with his "demons" and all anybody saw was a huge smile but to his family it must have been tough. For some they can spend a decade or two completely unaware of who anybody else is let alone themselves. A horrid waste that leaves terrible memories for many people.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:29 pm

He was in the first stages of Parkinson's, not a bad way out, although why you have to be such an ass hole and hang yourself in your own home for your family to find you I don't understand, pretty sh***y thing to do,even if with his sense of humor he would probably think it was funny.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:50 pm

They are saying here he was suffering from manic depression and had money issues. What mental illness gets hold you just don't think like any sane or rational human being would. I would guess he saw it as helping his loved ones whereas the reality is much darker and horrific.

Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:15 pm

No money issues, very wealthy guy, and as for being a manic depressant ,I think most of the great comedians, and entertainers in general are that way, thats why when they go on stage they are so great, they become free from their demons.
I remember being backstage years ago when we were at a concert, the band came off after playing a great set to 20,000 people and changed in seconds flat, started arguing amongst themselves, saying this guy had missed that chord, and this guy had done that and this guy something else, whole back stage of 50 people went from having fun to be miserable in 10 seconds flat. I think that was the the night me and Lidbit decided to gave up being groupies.
gillsfan1066

Postby Rimshot » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:01 pm

It takes a real gent to call Robin Williams an a***ole.
Rimshot

Postby lidbid46 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Speak for yourself - I'm still game!!
lidbid46

Postby gillsfan1066 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 am

I think hanging yourself in your own home while your family is upstairs asleep is a pretty a** holeish thing to do,whether your Robin Williams,The King of China or Joe Blow the milkman, sorry just do.
I found a guy who put a 44 in his mouth in a hotel room, and that was 15 years ago and I still wake up having nightmares about that.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 am

You're right Gillsfan, it is horrific for anyone and probably more so if it was a much loved family member. Posh Gill has mentioned on here before about those that choose to go on the railway line, there is no thought for how it affects the driver. But that's the issue. If he did it as a deliberate act to spite people then I will agree with you but he was almost certainly mentally ill (it has been reported he was suffering manic depression) and this would have meant he would have had not empathy as to how it would have affected his family. He would only have felt that he was making their lives better somehow and therefore wasn't in full control of his feelings or actions.

Garawa

Return to Non-Football Discussion