Vinyl Records

Discussion relating to anything not football related

Vinyl Records

Postby Poshgill » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 am

I was watching an intersting programme on BBC 4 the other day about the British love affair with vinyl and 45rpm 7" singles. Of course, everyone remembers their first single.

Mine was Black & White by Greyhound on the Trojan lable.(I think this was about 1972). Whats was your frst single (In the case of cadbury I suspect it may be a 78!)
Poshgill

Re: Vinyl Records

Postby CadburyMan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Not a 78 Posh - I distinctly remember it being a cylinder :-)

Seriously though - twas the Stones - Satisfaction - and I stll have it
CadburyMan

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

There is something very magical about records. The feel and the smell. I spent most of childhood looking at what people had in their collections. Along with books, the LPs on one's shelves told a lot about that person and I took great pride in being able to produce a song on one when somebody asked for it - I became somewhat of a target for the music questioners. Music collecting now is so faceless as most people have 5,000+ tracks without even trying and finding out songs is a simple push of a button on a phone app.

The sound for me is better as well. Most CDs now have so much clipping where the volume has been cranked to the point the bass begins to distort and yet I have vinyl from the 60s without the slightest crackle that sounds a million times better! It helps having a really good player though, I remember going into my local record shop every few months to replace the stylus! Of course some now I can't play, such as Pink Floyds "The Wall" given that these copies of this edition sell for over £100!

I had loads of vinyl given to me and from about 3 or 4 had a little battery player to play them on. My first track I remember saving pocket money for I believe was Culture Club's "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me". I know, but I was 5.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Gary I would play the lp The Wall if I was you.

I still have the original batman car from 1966 which is in a right old state. no box, scratched paint. If I had kept it in the box in mint condition I might well be able to sell it for over a £100.00...............BUT what price that 100 quid.

I had hours and hours and hours of fun with that car worth much more than 100 quid.

Your LP if you sold it now without playing it anymore and got £150.00 what value is that. Its about 2/5ths of a gillingham season ticket, Maybe a meal for 4 people in a semi decent restaurant, or a cheap ring from H Samuels......compare that to the joy you get from listening to the origianal Album and I think I would pop it on the player and start grooving to the sounds.
Robpthegills

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

I agree. For an album that is almost the same age is me it is pristine, although there is the CD to fall back on but it is not the same, especially when tracks are meant to end a side when on a CD they carry on (War of The Worlds by Jeff Wayne the best example). Question is, what price will it be worth in another 32 years as kids throw away their parents collections as they pass on. Probably would go down in value as no-one would know what it is!!!!!!!!

Garawa

Postby Poshgill » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Not sure I agree with Rob. I'm a massive Bowie fan and have collected his records for years. I have stuff that has never been out of the wrapper. A conservative figure for the collection is about 5k but actually it's worthless as I'd never sell any of it.
Poshgill

Postby mark8364 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Didnt buy my first single until ''Hand in Glove'' by The Smiths in May 1983. First album was ''Searching for the young soul rebels'' by Dexys Midnight Runners in July 1980. It was released the week after I started my first job and bought it with some of my very first wage packet! Remember to this day running from work in Chatham High Street to catch Our Price records in the Pentagon before it shut! Happy Days!!
mark8364

Postby Garawa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 pm

The fondest memory was always coming home with a new LP. Gatefield Sounds (as was) in Faversham had these fantastic pink and white bags and I was as proud as punch coming home with a record I had saved for for ages. Downloading an MP3 has no emotional ties whatsoever however it has given me access to music I would never had bought before. But I still then go out and buy a physical CD even if twice the price.

Garawa

Postby mark8364 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Any one remember Barnaby Records on the corner of Railway Street?
mark8364

Postby sotongill » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Barnaby Records ! spent many a happy hour in there going through records and imaging what i would buy if i had the money .

My first single was Here comes the Night by Van Morrisons group , Them . Must have been about five or six , so it was technically bought for me .
sotongill

Next

Return to Non-Football Discussion