England World Cup Squad

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Re: England World Cup Squad

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Mon May 12, 2014 3:14 pm

The England World Cup Squad has been announced:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Fraser Forster (Celtic).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Attackers: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Standby: John Ruddy (Norwich City), Jon Flanagan (Liverpool), John Stones (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Andy Carroll (West Ham United), Jermain Defoe (Toronto FC).
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Rimshot » Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 am

I think that's a decent squad. I don't think it will win anything but there's no-one missing who would change that. I'm looking forward to seeing how Shaw, Sterling, Barklay ,O-C, Lallana perform on a world stage. Let's give the youngsters a chance to see if they have the potential to become world-class.
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Tue May 13, 2014 11:30 am

I think what has been obvious over the past couple of years is that "youngsters" barely need blooding in or protecting any more. They have no fear, can run full pelt all day long and have a point to prove, they want to be the best and have a desire that is un-matched by many of their senior counterparts. All they lack is a little bit of technique and the cleverness world class players have to dictate matches.

We cannot win anything if they don't have that but as nobody is expecting us to do anything at all anyway, what better education could they have? As many have been playing alongside world class players anyway, that desire might end up earning a semi-final place if a couple of teams are off their game. Go for it!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Wed May 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I just hope Hodgson doesn't think just 'taking them' is enough, play them !
Rimshot

Postby Garawa » Wed May 14, 2014 6:24 pm

I've never understood the "taking for experience" mantra. It's like having a tour of Wembley, it's rather nice but you hardly become a footballing expert afterwards. Many of these kids surely can't glean much from seeing behind the scenes and as most have grown up with some of the biggest clubs in world football does it really have an impact? I agree with Rimshot, if they need experience then they need to be on the pitch otherwise what's the point?
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Previous

Return to Football Discussion