Right outcome

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Right outcome

Postby Garawa » Sat May 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Think Bradford's win was the right outcome in the end, especially after their destruction in the league cup final. I feel sorry for Northampton but Bradford going up means 4 of the top 7 sides for average gates in League 2 last season have gone up whilst 3 of the worst 6 sides in League 1 for average gates went down! That makes the league stronger next season!

Also, how many times has a side that sneaked late into the play-offs been promoted over a side that was there most of the season?! It happens EVERY season almost (at least I write about it every season) so it was inevitable really!
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Re: Right outcome

Postby mark8364 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Hate the play offs...Bradford 9 points away from automatic and promoted! Bring the old system back!
mark8364

Postby Kent_UckyFriedGills » Sun May 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Well done to Bradford,they have had a fantastic season.They got to the League Cup final which is a fantastic achievement,and at one stage it did look like it was affecting their good start in the League.But they stuck together and went on a great run to finish in the last playoff place.They won because they were the Team in form,even after a poor first leg against Burton they still came back.It`s good to see them finally get out of this league after 6 years stuck in this league.We was fed up after three years in League 2.
Noircat Premier League Champion 2007,and 2014.Noircat FA Cup (Runner Up 2014).Promoted to the Premier League (Runner Up 2017,and 2020 in the Championship).

Kent_UckyFriedGills,KFG for short.
Kent_UckyFriedGills

Postby Garawa » Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Whilst you are right Mark, it could be argued that without them the league could be much weaker with such a large number of teams that may have nothing to play for not pushing other teams so hard. Avoiding relegation or winning promotion would be an achievement if the sides actually pushed. I don't agree with a 7th placed side going up but it keeps it interesting instead of being virtually all over on game 43.

Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 am

On balance I think the play-offs are good for the game, especially in the lower reaches of the league. Players and hundreds of thousands of football fans get what for many will be their only route to a Wembley final. I'll never forget the Wigan and Shrewsbury games.
Rimshot

Postby mark8364 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Gillingham win the league and get 26k...Northampton lose in the play off final and make 140k in ticket sales. Where is the fairness in that?
mark8364

Postby Poshgill » Mon May 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Before the play-offs, the season was done and dusted by mid March most seasons and fans were increasingly getting fed-up with the pointless matches. The play-offs have injected a much needed boost to the league system. It is a bit churlish for us to complain that a team have benefited financially from them when we have done so ourselves previously. Imaging no play-offs. Try taking away that exhilaration of seeing my team run out at Wembley against Manchester City or winning against Wigan. So we didn't make as much financially as the Wembley finalists. So what? No one can take our name from the record books as WINNERS! I love the play-offs
Poshgill

Postby Snackboyslim » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Spot on there Mr Posh.
Snackboyslim

Postby Garawa » Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm

And also, last season we almost achieved a spot which possibly increased attendance figures. Had there not been play-offs, we would have had no chance in getting a top 3 place and so gates would almost certainly have been close to those of a cup game (three and a half thousand) so we do benefit. Although the counter-argument to that would be that the side with the windfall also benefits in increased gates. Whatever, it must be the fairest was everyone benefits, some more than others but everyone knows what is at stake beforehand.

Garawa

Postby Robpthegills » Tue May 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Prior to the play offs, it used to be 3 promoted 3 relegated. So an additional spot has been created just for the play offs. So anybody coming 4th and not going up can hardly complain as they wouldn't have gone up via the old system.

I still think they are great. Everyone knows the rules at the start so its up to the club to achieve.

Bit like a boxer beating the hell out of another box for 8 rounds being trillions of points ahead and the other boxer gets a lucky punch and knocks the good boxer down. You don't give the match to the good boxer as they deserved it over the course of the fight
Robpthegills

Return to Football Discussion