Wigan

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Wigan

Postby Poshgill » Sun May 12, 2013 8:26 am

Well done Wigan. Great to see them beat money bags City in the cup. Magic of the cup lives on. I've always had a sneaking admiration for Wigan since our play-off victory against them. Dave Whelan was really magnanimous in defeat. I like them even more now esp as I had them at 8/1 to beat City!
Poshgill

Re: Wigan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 pm

What a great win, to think that could have been GFC if the stars had just aliened a little bit more, lol. Guess we are only a game away from the start of the silly season manager roundabout stakes, think in these days when just not getting relegated is not enough managers like Pulis, Pardrew, Lambert, could all be in trouble?
I guess Mancini is going to be safe for another year, and if and it is a BIG IF, Martinez saves Wigan will he stay there or will Everton want him, or is Howard Kendall coming back for his 10th stint as manager, lol.??
gillsfan1066

Re: Wigan

Postby Garawa » Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

This had to be the best for English football. I am a little indifferent to Wigan as a Premier League side as their gates are not great but I admire the way the club was run and Martinez as manager. They are a decent side run the right way and to beat City with all their millions show (as did both Madrid and Barcelona losing in the UCL Semis) everyone that a good (expensive) collection of players is no match for one that grows together. Even the QPR millions has failed dismally.

I know the fans suffer for the what the board does but City fans have had some really good times lately that paid for the misery of years ago, it won't hurt them to be reminded that they are not guranteed success because they outbid on every player that eventually came to the Etihad.

On a flip to that, I know Sir Alex bought big names but largely they were the missing link to sides constructed of players nurtured at the club. They did it the right way and what a miss he will be. City could do a lot to emmulate that success but the success NOW ethos will only doom them to more failure as the next manager proves the pressure to deliver to be too much.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Return to Football Discussion