VARaaaaaargh!

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

VARaaaaaargh!

Postby Mooke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:19 am

Can anyone explain to me how the heck the VAR got the red card incident in the Chelsea / Spurs game so wrong?

Also feel a bit sorry for Bournemouth, though that was falling foul of a tough handball call.
Mooke

Re: VARaaaaaargh!

Postby Garawa » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:02 pm

VAR is creating a whole new area of subjectivity when it was meant to remove it. It is expensive and creating more talking points than original wrong decisions so get shot of it and give us our game back. The only way out of this is to allow all attackers to be onside if any part of their body is and deem all handballs below the elbow to be a penalty regardless of movement if the arm is away from the body. If subjectivity is the issue, we will have to simply go with black or white regardless of the intent at the time.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Mooke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Still staggered. There was no subjectivity about it, the man had a dent in his leg!

Unless his leg was subjectively dented! :-)

Garth Crooks had to get his tuppenny worth in, and didn't mince his words, expressing the view that referees are bottling it.

I doubt that that is the case, but it does seem to me that, it in this case, it was there in case the referee missed something obvious, and rather than make a decision to make what didn't need to be a bold call, just relied on the tech to give what is now completely the wrong decision.

Handball has always been highly debateable. The law itself invites opinion. If the opinion of officialdom, the players has derived advantage by the use of hand, then it is handball. Where it was if it hit the player having come another player, it shouldn't be, it now seems to be. The ref in the Bournemouth game had unfortunately been I think quite firm with penalising off the shoulder as handball, but the second then at least was consistent. It is just a shame that it happened in such a way as to concede a penalty, but the run of play following the incident was that they went up the other end and equalised. Only for it to be chalked off and go 2 down instead.

It just looked blooming ridiculous to me. Although weirdly, it does look right in Rugby. Dunno why.
Mooke

Postby sotongill » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:58 pm

Garawa wrote:VAR is creating a whole new area of subjectivity when it was meant to remove it. It is expensive and creating more talking points than original wrong decisions so get shot of it and give us our game back. The only way out of this is to allow all attackers to be onside if any part of their body is and deem all handballs below the elbow to be a penalty regardless of movement if the arm is away from the body. If subjectivity is the issue, we will have to simply go with black or white regardless of the intent at the time.

The whole debate that we seem to be having now about changing the rules of the game to accommodate VAR is the worst example of the tail wagging the dog that I can remember . Get rid of it . And let's just accept that on occasions Refs and Linos get the decision wrong .
sotongill

Postby Mooke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:45 pm

The solution is simple. Persuade the excellent Nigel Owens to take up soccer! One of the best referees in any sport ever .,,,
Mooke

Postby CadburyMan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:20 am

Agreed Soton but If it is to remain, as it will, it should be like cricket and tennis - you have three appeals - end of
CadburyMan

Postby gillsfan1066 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:05 pm

Big night for the Gills, and were not even playing. Nice to see most of the teams catch up with us after games played, bit of a shame Oxford and Portsmouth are playing Stanley and MKD respectively, come on you underdogs one big game tonight please. Sunderland and Fleetwood play,I guess we should hope Sunderland beat them by 4 or 5 goals, with our Goal difference being the lowest in the race.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion