Rio Ferdinand

Discussion for anything relating to Football in general

Rio Ferdinand

Postby Rimshot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 am

I didn't think my opinion of this ungracious lout could sink any lower but with his withdrawal from the England squad it has. DON"T PICK HIM AGAIN !!!
Rimshot

Re: Rio Ferdinand

Postby Garawa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 pm

That's what I thought, what was all the rigmarole around his selection only to then decline it!

Then I thought more about it. Either Fergie has has his way or there were genuine reasons behind it. The reason behind the withdrawal was a bit odd, a "pre-planned fitness programme" ruled him out so why was he considered at all in the first place if he wasn't available anyway? I wondered if his visit on Sunday to see Hodgeson was actually to say that he wanted to but couldn't and maybe next time but the fact he was even considered available at all is bizarre.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby Rimshot » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Clearly Sir Red Wine Please is involved, even so Ferdinand has rarely looked interested when in England's colours. John Terry may be an unsavoury character but at least he always gave 100% effort.
Rimshot

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:49 am

Why England are playing any member of the team that plays next weeks game with Montenegro absolutely baffles me. I honestly beleive Gillingham could hold San Marino to a draw, admittedly a 0-0 draw because we seem unable to score, but a draw never the less.
gillsfan1066

Postby Garawa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 am

I've often wondered, if Andorra and San Marino were clubs, where they would sit in the English football system. Given that San Marino only have 1 professional player they must surely be around the lower Conference level.

I agree that they should play alongside the big teams as this is how they improve but maybe, every couple of summers, they should play in their own "league" so that they can improve at their own level. When the qualifying groups are then drawn, they should then leave the final place empty and then the winner of the minnows league would be placed automatically in the group containing the highest ranked teams and the loser in the group with the lowest and so on. At least they get to partake in competitive fixtures between themselves and yet hopefully avoid annihilations that don't do anybody any good.
For all manner of stats and facts during games, add me on twitter: @Gills_Stats

Previous board user ID: gwade_871 (3440 posts)
Garawa

Postby gillsfan1066 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Totally agree, I honstly think that no matter how competitive you are and how much you love to play for your country, the thought of going to San Merino to play a national team where the coach is a gym school teacher must be shall we say at the least disheartening.
Nice to get away from the wife and kids for a few days, fly the girlfriend in to stay in the hotel on the floor below ,but seriously how much fun can this really be ? Gillingham FC to play on Monday nite football ,first round of the FA CUP proper against Evo-Stick league leaders Kings Lynn Town, your on a hiding to nothing, if you don't win by 5 or 6 then you look bad, and if you win by 10 how much fun can it be looking at your opponent's 7-0 down after 50 minutes, totaly destroyed ?
Realistically I think teams like San Marino, would be playing along side the likes of Dartford, probably more like Ebbsfleet, and I am sorry loosing 5,280 games in a row by 5 or more goals does not make you into a better team.
gillsfan1066

Return to Football Discussion